The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

retow

Okay Okay Okay - as a service to the forum I've bought one of these little buggers - I shall now do some testing on various M lenses, just for Douglas's benefit.

WATE
MATE
28 'cron
35 'lux and summarit
50 'lux
75 'cron
90 elmarit

unfortunately I dont have the adapter yet!

Such altruism:ROTFL:
"as a service to the forum"...:ROTFL: Have to remember this one, when my better half tries to oppose my next camera purchase. A lot to lean here on this forum. Not just about photography :D.

jonoslack

"as a service to the forum"...:ROTFL: Have to remember this one, when my better half tries to oppose my next camera purchase. A lot to lean here on this forum. Not just about photography :D.
Ahh - my better half never opposes my camera purchases . . . . but then I don't grumble about the horses either!

Terry

Last night I was at a book signing at ModernBook in San Francisco. This is the final part of a class I took at Stanford on making photo books. Excellent class!!! I used the Contax G 35mm lens. I had the metering set to matrix but looking at the shots when I got home it was user error and I would have been much better served with center weighted. Most shots underexposed but I've boosted the exposures by in many cases more than a full stop. I was stopped about a dozen times with people asking about the camera. They had heard about it but hadn't seen it in the flesh. They were pretty shocked at the size.

View attachment 33920

View attachment 33919

View attachment 33917

View attachment 33918

View attachment 33916

peterv

Congratulations, Jono!
I guess after the Apple RAW support update it was just impossible to resist. Did you try conversion in A3 yet? I think it does a nice job, though not as sharp as RPP.

I compared A3 to in-camera jpg and did not see much difference.

monza

Nice pics Terry, can't wait to shoot with the 35 Planar. Someone should petition Sony/Zeiss to build AF versions of Contax G lenses pronto!

roweraay

Nice pics Terry, can't wait to shoot with the 35 Planar. Someone should petition Sony/Zeiss to build AF versions of Contax G lenses pronto!
For all we know, they (or maybe close relatives of the Contax G lenses) may already be in the works, as we speak. :)

Mr.Masashi Imamura, the president of the Sound and Imaging group of Sony, already stated (on January, 2010) that Zeiss is involved in designing future lenses for NEX. Since it has been several months since he stated that, I would not be surprised to see a few NEX lens surprises during Photokina.:cool:

jonoslack

You're too kind. I'll be sure to PM you the address to send your old, dilapidated M9 to. :ROTFL::thumbs:
Don't push it mate, or I'll set Simeon on you:

N.B. first published shot with NEX5 (16mmlens f5). it added it's own vignetting :)

by the way, which M9 do you want?

douglasf13

Oh! I think that's rather unkind; one :eek: would have been quite enough
:)
Well, you're off the hook. I just ordered a black NEX-5 with the 16mm, the Alpha adapter, an M adapter...and I'm still trying to decide on a 35mm lens. I'll probably rent the CV 35 1.4 once the camera arrives.

cam

Okay Okay Okay - as a service to the forum I've bought one of these little buggers - I shall now do some testing on various M lenses, just for Douglas's benefit.

WATE
MATE
28 'cron
35 'lux and summarit
50 'lux
75 'cron
90 elmarit

unfortunately I dont have the adapter yet!

Such altruism:ROTFL:
bring the camera to Belgium -- with the M adaptor!

one of the things i'd really like to see is the quality with older M lenses -- how the NEX handles the lower contrast, increased micro-contrast.

on some digital sensors, the older lenses can look muddy whereas others seem to shine with finer detail (as long as you do proper PP).

i'd especially like to see them with some higher ISO shots (which are always very tricky)... anyways, i have a handful of oldies but goodies for you to play with. off the top of my head:

25/3.5 Canon
v.1 35 'cron
pre-asph 35 'lux
50 'lux (second version)
E58 Nocti
75 'lux

i imagine the Super Angulon is too deep, though, non?