The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

jonoslack

Same predicament as me. I am looking at both the 35mms and 28mms, but thus far there have been no confirmed RF lenses that will pass muster....well maybe the ZM Biogon 35/2.
Well, you're off the hook. I just ordered a black NEX-5 with the 16mm, the Alpha adapter, an M adapter...and I'm still trying to decide on a 35mm lens. I'll probably rent the CV 35 1.4 once the camera arrives.
I've just ordered the adapters this morning.
35s I'll be testing:
MATE
35 f2.5 summarit
35 f1.4 lux

I'm rather banking on the summarit

jonoslack

bring the camera to Belgium -- with the M adaptor!

one of the things i'd really like to see is the quality with older M lenses -- how the NEX handles the lower contrast, increased micro-contrast.

on some digital sensors, the older lenses can look muddy whereas others seem to shine with finer detail (as long as you do proper PP).

i'd especially like to see them with some higher ISO shots (which are always very tricky)... anyways, i have a handful of oldies but goodies for you to play with. off the top of my head:

25/3.5 Canon
v.1 35 'cron
pre-asph 35 'lux
50 'lux (second version)
E58 Nocti
75 'lux

i imagine the Super Angulon is too deep, though, non?
Hi Cam
it sounds like fun - I'll try and get there early enough to test this stuff.
Have you got a good brick wall :ROTFL:

cam

Hi Cam
it sounds like fun - I'll try and get there early enough to test this stuff.
Have you got a good brick wall :ROTFL:
the best!

more than one, actually.

and did i mention the lovely pile of antique bricks sitting on my doorstep? traditional reds, faded greys, charcoal, pink, you name it, we got it... they're not mine, mind you, but i'm sure we can borrow them ;)

jonoslack

the best!

more than one, actually.

and did i mention the lovely pile of antique bricks sitting on my doorstep? traditional reds, faded greys, charcoal, pink, you name it, we got it... they're not mine, mind you, but i'm sure we can borrow them ;)
Wonderful - we can spend a happy hour doing some tests with the different lenses - then you can process them all and post them:ROTFL:

roweraay

I've just ordered the adapters this morning.
35s I'll be testing:
MATE
35 f2.5 summarit
35 f1.4 lux

I'm rather banking on the summarit
Thanks. I found somebody selling a 35 Summicron (6 elements, ROM and "Made in Germany") with box etc for around $1300. Glass is super-clean but has some wear on the barrel. Worth it ? Or would a new ZM Biogon 35/2 be a better bet ?

PS: I am not that familiar with the M-lenses.

simonclivehughes

I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried the Zeiss 25mm f2.8 M mount lens on the NEX? I'm looking for a good ~35mm equivalent.

Cheers,

jonoslack

Thanks. I found somebody selling a 35 Summicron (6 elements, ROM and "Made in Germany") with box etc for around $1300. Glass is super-clean but has some wear on the barrel. Worth it ? Or would a new ZM Biogon 35/2 be a better bet ?

PS: I am not that familiar with the M-lenses.
Sounds like an R lens to me, and not an M lens.
No ROM in R lenses

douglasf13

Well, I've decided to risk it and I ordered a Voigtlander 35 1.4 S.C. I figure that if the corners are terrible, I can resell it, but I can't imagine them being THAT bad. We'll see. I got the S.C. version for a more classic look, and I think it'll be easier to sell if need be.

The CV 35 1.4 is kind of a poor man's pre-asph Summilux 35. It's actually sharper wide open, but it pays for that with a bit of distortion and a bit less pleasing bokeh wide open. I'm hoping the 1.5x crop equalizes the distortion some, and LR has good lens correction (when it supports NEX.) Stopped down, they're both excellent. I figure that the CV is so much cheaper that it was worth the risk. Plus, this winter I may be visiting my uncle, and I'll try to raid his unused M lens collection. :)

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'll be interested as well . . . haven't got one I'm afraid, but I must say I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
I'm testing mine out, but there are some problems. This one was shot on daylight wb and processed in Aperture3. I did nothing in PS except size and sharpen lightly. Note the magenta. It isn't always this noticeable, but bright sky shows it at its worst.
There is such a nice look to the rendering of this lens.

F8 and focused on the lighthouse Zeiss 25 f/2.8/NEX5

Last edited:

barjohn

Cindy,

The magenta cast you speak of is barely visible on my screen. It will be interesting to see how different applications process the RAW files.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here is a pano right out of the camera (jpg) made with Contax 90 f/2.8 at f8 (portrait position for pano). I love the two Contax lenses that I have for my NEX5 (35mm, 90mm).
I find this a little flat and would do some post on this one.

This pano looks like it could use some sharpening now that I put it up here. I think it is the jpeg compression, but maybe the pano engine (or the operator) are at fault. The lens is plenty sharp.

Last edited: