The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

cam

Simon,

i'm with you on this... which is why i think you might like the little Canon. a lot! as long as you don't mind the slow speed (f/4) is really the widest it should be shot, i think it's a gem.

i shoot so much through glass and the like, that sometimes i forget when i've judged a lens by how it cuts through such surfaces... the single coating on this makes it a little less hardy in those situations whereas, if you're shooting straight on, it makes it fab for black and white work.

douglasf13

Simon, I could generally agree with that, but I think the smearing issue in mirrorless cameras is an anamoly that I need to know about prior to purchasing expensive lenses. I own a Diana+, and I love its behavior and unpredictability, but I don't use it for every shot, and I sometimes want a camera that is sharp in the corners when stopped down. I see nothing wrong with knowing the behavior of your tools in order to better apply them.

jonoslack

Those tests have a purpose I suppose, but the true test is how you like the lens and its results in real world shooting. For example, I very often use a vignette... the lens can do that for me? Far out! Likewise, if I'm shooting mostly B&W, a very slight magenta cast in some places is unlikely to have a significant effect.

Knowing the root cause of these things is all well and good, but I think too many people agonize over things that are invisible to 95% of the people who view our work. The advances that digital has allowed us have, in a sense, dulled our minds to the subject and its portrayal by having us dwell on technical minutia. We did great work with quite featureless and primative cameras years ago... a good image is a good image!

Look at those shooting with Holgas and Dianas etc. There's a whole genre that embraces the deficits of the equipment they use and its widely considered to be art.

Sorry, just Sunday morning early ramblings! :lecture:

Ciao,
Hi Simon - I completely agree with you, but I still test lenses when I get them, so many are out of alignment and should go back, and again, it's really hard to see in normal use. After that I forget.

But right now, knowing which M lenses will cause smearing at the corners is relevant.

I quite agree with you about the 25 Zeiss, that much Magenta on a grey sky wouldn't worry me the slightest.

I really do agree - my mantra is:

if it's an interesting image, nobody cares if it's good technically . . . and if it isn't interesting, then nobody cares at all!

jonoslack

bombay sapphire for me :D

i know this isn't the proper thread, but what the hey... does the NEX have shutter priority?
Yes it does . . . I haven't tried it though, but I should have used it today.
The controls are, at first look (and dpreview review) completely bonkers, but there is a kind of crazed logic about it all . . . We went out riding this afternoon, and it was easy to use on a slightly stroppy and impatient horse with one floppy wrist, which says something . . yes! it says it's time for another glass of wine!

sebboh

bombay sapphire for me :D

i know this isn't the proper thread, but what the hey... does the NEX have shutter priority?
yep, A, S, and M mode are all there along with i know not what other modes.

as far as brick wall tests go, they're useful, i just don't want to be the one doing them. they're not near as much fun as taking actual pictures.

cam

lol! thank you both! i took out my question because i wasn't sure it was appropriate :eek:

anyways, way cool to know. i've found my handholding skills aren't as good as most camera's automatic mode, so this is really great. i really am enjoying the look of the files and can't wait until i see more with alternative lenses.

thank you all for allowing me to join in voyeuristically (and with lust -- just no money).

roweraay

I see nothing wrong with knowing the behavior of your tools in order to better apply them.
Can't wait for your feedback regarding the CV 35/1.4. :)

I am also looking at maybe some wider options that provide a 35mm equivalent (24mm, 25mm etc), since I have always loved the 35mm FOV, for my walkarounds. In other words, I am pretty much game for lenses from 24mm - 35mm (35mm - 50mm FOV in FF terms) currently, if the lens is otherwise not problematic on the NEX.

engel001

I don't have a NEX (yet), but am curious. Has any one of you with Contax G adapters ever tried the Contax G 35-70mm "zoom"? Or possibly used this fine lens on a M43 camera? Thanks!

douglasf13

Can't wait for your feedback regarding the CV 35/1.4. :)

I am also looking at maybe some wider options that provide a 35mm equivalent (24mm, 25mm etc), since I have always loved the 35mm FOV, for my walkarounds. In other words, I am pretty much game for lenses from 24mm - 35mm (35mm - 50mm FOV in FF terms) currently, if the lens is otherwise not problematic on the NEX.
Yeah, I'm curious about 35 equivalents as well, but they're tougher to find without smearing and usually slower.

roweraay

Yeah, I'm curious about 35 equivalents as well, but they're tougher to find without smearing and usually slower.
True. Today, while browsing through our local retailer, I saw an old Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 (competitor of the Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, probably of a much older vintage). I had never known that Minolta made lenses for the M-mount. I did not pick it up, since I needed to do some more research on it, before flipping the switch.

They also had a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, and the size was just amazing. Anybody know if the 28mm Elmarit would be an acceptable performer on the NEX ? I am not too enthusiastic about the f/2.8 and would really like at least an f/2, but if the performance is okay, then might just go with it, considering that the size is really petite and will go with the NEX very well.

monza

The 28mm M-Rokkor was made for the Minolta CLE, the auto exposure version of the Leica CL. It's from about 1980 or so.

roweraay

The 28mm M-Rokkor was made for the Minolta CLE, the auto exposure version of the Leica CL. It's from about 1980 or so.
Thanks. I did not know about such a lens at all. Is it worth it for around $400 or so, assuming it is in great shape ?

douglasf13

I decided on the adapter from "Metabones" on eBay for $75. I haven't received it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about their various adapters. We'll see.

Terry

Today while browsing through eBay for M-NEX adapters, I came across one made by Voigtlander. But I got a shock when I saw the price...$300 ! :shocked:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Voigtlander...unt-Adapter-/180536015279?pt=Lens_Accessories

How could someone charge $300 for a purely mechanical coupling, with no electronics or optics in it ? :confused: Of course there were other adapters around, ranging from $50 to less than $100.
$300 is above market for a voigtlander adapter. I believe sells them for $180. Their adapters tend to be made to tighter tolerances which for some is worth the price. Tighter tolerance being not going well past infinity on focus, or on LTM adapter getting the lens to properly line up without needing to be adjusted by the user.

roweraay

$300 is above market for a voigtlander adapter. I believe sells them for $180. Their adapters tend to be made to tighter tolerances which for some is worth the price. Tighter tolerance being not going well past infinity on focus, or on LTM adapter getting the lens to properly line up without needing to be adjusted by the user.
Where can we get this for $180 ? Don't find any other place that stocks it.