The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

roweraay

I checked the site out and did want to order the adapter but the site did not have a shopping cart etc. or even whether the adapter is in stock or not (availability loosely listed as August 2010).

Also, there was a note somewhere on the site that Steve (who runs the site) is on vacation and expected back today. I don't mind paying for it, if it is in stock, but making a payment and waiting for several weeks would definitely be frustrating. :(

monza

I checked the site out and did want to order the adapter but the site did not have a shopping cart etc. or even whether the adapter is in stock or not (availability loosely listed as August 2010).

Also, there was a note somewhere on the site that Steve (who runs the site) is on vacation and expected back today. I don't mind paying for it, if it is in stock, but making a payment and waiting for several weeks would definitely be frustrating. :(
That's why the other ebay seller has them for $300...they apparently have the only ones that exist at this time...

If you want the Voigtlander from Camerquest, there is no shopping cart, you have to send in a deposit. Don't worry, he's very reliable, he just prefers to keep his site looking like its 1994. ;)

cam

drop him an email or give him a call... he'll tell you if he has them or not... as for the shopping cart, i think he typically does PayPal invoices. i did a sale with him once that needed to be overnighted from my iPhone while i was at a camera store that didn't have screwmount-to-M adaptors... Steve's a good guy and ships really fast.

and i'm not saying this is the best adaptor (you just said you wanted it). i don't even have the camera, merely the lenses :ROTFL:

roweraay

drop him an email or give him a call... he'll tell you if he has them or not...
Yup, I will give him a call and see. Thanks.:)

i don't even have the camera, merely the lenses :ROTFL:
And I have the camera but not the lenses. :ROTFL:

Just that, once the adapter is on board, I can at least visit our local camera retailers and try out the lenses on the camera, and check them out on my laptop to validate their performance, before buying the ones that look good.

cam

Actually, that was exactly what I felt when I went through the site....1994 is a bit optimistic - I would go back another 5 years ! :)
you're being a wee bot harsh here. i think monza had it right... regardless, we all put with the look because it's filled with a lot of easy to digest information if you want some quick info (and wha to look out for) on the lenses you're looking at: http://cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

roweraay

you're being a wee bot harsh here. i think monza had it right... regardless, we all put with the look because it's filled with a lot of easy to digest information if you want some quick info (and wha to look out for) on the lenses you're looking at: http://cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm
Oh, I was only ribbing him a bit. ;) The organization of the site is okay but it does not even have a shopping cart, which was a bit strange in this day and age.

In fact, the folks who made my tripod ballheads (Arca Swiss) don't have ANY official web presence at all. Absolutely none ! I like their products but not very happy about the fact that they are still stuck in a time-warp and have not realized the potential of harnessing the power of the web.

roweraay

I got a reply from Steve. Seems like availability is Late August. Bummer ! :( Either way, that makes my decision easier - Metabones ! :cool:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I got a reply from Steve. Seems like availability is Late August. Bummer ! :( Either way, that makes my decision easier - Metabones ! :cool:
I doubt you'll be disappointed. I purchased a Metabones Leica R to m4/3 adapter a while ago and am delighted with the quality provided for the price.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really like the Contax G lenses on the NEX5. The size and balance seem perfect. The adapter is the weak link. I may have gotten one that is less than optimum.
NEX5 and Contax G 45 f/2 Planar

I

ilcapo

I really like the Contax G lenses on the NEX5. The size and balance seem perfect. The adapter is the weak link. I may have gotten one that is less than optimum.
first post here Cindy, which adapter did you buy?
i have just received my RJ adapter for my nikon AIS glass, so far i am pleased.
if there is better i am open to suggestions. cheers.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
first post here Cindy, which adapter did you buy?
i have just received my RJ adapter for my nikon AIS glass, so far i am pleased.
if there is better i am open to suggestions. cheers.
Welcome to the forum. The Nikon lens looks great on your NEX.:thumbup:
I bought my Pen-F, MD, and M to NEX adapters from RJ and am very happy with them. The Contax G adapter is the Kipon CTX G-NEX adapter from Ebay.

The above 2 photos were in-camera HDR jpegs. This photo is from a RAW converted in Aperture3. NEX, Contax G 45 f/2 planar

Last edited:

roweraay

I doubt you'll be disappointed. I purchased a Metabones Leica R to m4/3 adapter a while ago and am delighted with the quality provided for the price.
Thanks for the feedback. I contacted the seller and paid for the Metabones adapter. So hopefully it should be on the way (from HK) shortly.:)

roweraay

Yeah, I'm curious about 35 equivalents as well, but they're tougher to find without smearing and usually slower.
I am seriously looking at either the ZM 25/2.8 or the 35/2....in addition to the CV 35/1.4.

The 25/2.8 will provide a near 35mm FOV, which I like a lot, and there does not seem to be any smearing either, with it. The 35/2 will provide a near-50mm FOV and also is a non-smearer and by all accounts, has zero distortion, which is perfect for quite a few applications. The ZM 35/2.8 is a dark horse, even though the f/2 of the other 35 Biogon is pretty tempting. The CV 35/1.4 does look promising but smearing is still a question mark. We'll see !

My metabones adapter has been shipped, and hopefully should be here over the next few days.

douglasf13

I am seriously looking at either the ZM 25/2.8 or the 35/2....in addition to the CV 35/1.4.

The 25/2.8 will provide a near 35mm FOV, which I like a lot, and there does not seem to be any smearing either, with it. The 35/2 will provide a near-50mm FOV and also is a non-smearer and by all accounts, has zero distortion, which is perfect for quite a few applications. The ZM 35/2.8 is a dark horse, even though the f/2 of the other 35 Biogon is pretty tempting. The CV 35/1.4 does look promising but smearing is still a question mark. We'll see !

My metabones adapter has been shipped, and hopefully should be here over the next few days.
Do you have links to the ZM 35/2 or 25/2.8 shot at infinity? I haven't seen any yet (in good light.)