The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help me - It's an addition

JMaher

I sold my EP1 (focusing was too slow but otherwise a great camera) - I sold my G1 (just wasn't for me.) I tried adapted lens options (Nikon) on both but found them too difficult to focus easily. I love my 5D2 but it's too big to carry all the time.

All this talk of Contax lens options on the Nex is driving me crazy. I owned a Contax T longer than any other camera and loved it in my film days. The lens was fantastic and at that point in my life the rangefinder focus was fast (many years ago).

Maybe I shouldn't do anything but if I did. Would you rather have a Nex 5 with the kit lens option plus a Contax lens or two or....
$700 for the kit
$100 for an adapter
$600 for 2 Contax lens options (35 or 45 and 90)
$1400

OR

Would you save up for a used M8 and a 40 (for cost) or a 50 Summircron.
$2200 for M8
$600 for the 40mm
$2800 - maybe another $400 for a used 50

Twice the price - what do you all think. You could also talk me out of anything at this point. I am trying to resist.

Jim

Terry

The M8 is really quite nice. On the M8 some of the less expensive Voigtlander lenses are also quite good....for example the 35 f2.5 color skopar. That way you won't be limited to a single focal length.

If it were me and I were happy with my 5D2 I would simply wait until all the Photokina announcements come out and then make a decision. Only one month of a wait.

V

Vivek

Good suggestion from Terry.

The NEX' being part blind cams (no EVF, no full swing LCD), they have limited use (unless shooting staionary subjects/landscapes).

barjohn

Jim, there will probably be a lot of disagreement here but I owned an M8 (actually went through three) and I personally think the images from the NEX are better. The dynamic range is better, the color more accurate and there isn't any comparison at high ISO. One trip to the shop will set you back the cost of the NEX with 16mm lens and no guarantee that things will be fixed. I found it harder to focus than the RD-1 which I also owned and I actually liked the ergonomics of the RD-1 better. It is too bad that Epson didn't get together with Sony and update the sensor to one like the NEX's. The other thing you will find is that the NEX is to the M8/M9 what the M8/M9 are to the SLR world in terms of size and carry-ability.

You know how you go out with friends and you sit down for a drink and someone pulls out a small P&S and takes a few pictures for memories. Then there is the guy with the big honking camera bag and SLR kit and there is no place to put it and no one wants is shoved into their face and so you put it under your chair and hope the waiter doesn't trip over it or kick it or someone doesn't steal it while you went out for a dance. The NEX is like the cute P&S but with a big sensor that takes great images and the M8/M9, it's like the SLR only worse because you are looking at thousands of dollars worth of equipment and you can't relax and have fun because some one will either steal it or worse, damage it and forget asking the waiter to take a picture of the group because he or she hasn't a clue how to use it or focus the thing so you try and set it up but the image is crap and all out of focus and you give up and go home without any pictures. Finally to rub salt in the wound your friends send you pictures from their P&S that they posted on Facebook and you the great photographer...well you have crap to show for it.. :) :)

monza

Heh :)

I too like the NEX for the fact that no one pays any attention to it. Ms feel big to me now..

Don't forget the pano feature. Not to mention auto focus if you want, not an option on the M8 unless it's plenty bright and you preset hyperfocal.

Oh, and there's never a reason to wait. :) Any photokina announcements will take a few months to finally ship. :)

JMaher

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't hear a rousing vote for buying an M8 today and the advice to wait for Photokina makes the most sense. I'll see if I can convince myself that waiting is the best policy.

If you all keep posting such great shots with the Nex I may waiver.

Thanks again.

Jim

Eoin

Jim, I just have to ask this question, you didn't like shooting the EP1 & G1 with 3rd party lenses, what makes you think the NEX will be any different?.

JMaher

It's actually an easy answer. On the G1 - the issue was simply that I didn't like the camera. It was too big for a small camera and not as good as my 5d2. This is just my personal opinion.

I actually loved the EP1 with it's own lens options but had trouble focusing with adapted lens because of the low screen resolution. Ultimately I sold it because I had too many missed people shots as a result of the focus speed with Olympus lens choices. If it were faster I would still have it today.

My assumption is (maybe wrong) that the NEX camera's better screen would make manual focus an easier proposition. I could easily be proved wrong but haven't had an opportunity to try.

In the long ago past I never had a problem focusing with split screen SLR systems or with the rangefinder focus on the Contax T1 I owned.

Jim

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim, I own both a NEX and an M8. I love them both, but they are very different. The M8 is easier for me to focus fast, the NEX is easier for me to focus precisely. The M8 is not a camera for my purse...it is too big and too heavy. The NEX with an M 25, 35 or 50 lens, or one of my Pen-F lenses, fits nicely in my purse. Right now I think that M8 is still the winner in IQ, but I think that NEX might win once we get better RAW converter support (or at least a RAW converter that I am used to working with).
If I didn't already have the M8, I would probably just go for the NEX. If the NEX had an EVF, that would seal the deal for me. Since you have a 5D2 for top quality, NEX for quality in a small size seems like the perfect answer.

retow

NEX 5 & 16mm, AF, shot from the hip, cropped. Nobody noticed it, that's just one the NEX' strengths. I guess it's the most unobtrusive, reasonably fast AF, large sensor camera out there. That's already enough reason for me to have one;)

Last edited: