The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX Body Cap Update

Terry

OK,
Here is the part number 418853601

Someone at DPReview wrote that they spoke to Sony today about their order. I'm not 100% clear if it shipped today of is shipping in 7 days.

I just called (800.488.7669) and ordered a few. Note this is not the regular Sony Style phone number. I called parts and accessories. The person I spoke with said they were due in on the 15th. They are only about $2.50 each plus tax and shipping.....

Since it wasn't 100% clear if he had the right date, I went for fast shipping to see if the caps ship or have a chance of arriving before I leave on Friday (shipping was more expensive than the caps of course!).

I will keep you posted on shipping status.

P

princerichards13

I called Sony like some members for the body cap. What a Jerk, the guy kept insisting it doesn't come with the camera. And he wouldn't help me out.

Terry

I called Sony like some members for the body cap. What a Jerk, the guy kept insisting it doesn't come with the camera. And he wouldn't help me out.
The body cap does not come with the camera from everything I've found with Sony. They are $2.65. I would simply just order one or more.

edwardkaraa

A few years ago I bought a Canon 5D/24-105 kit and it didn't have a body cap either, so I guess this is normal practice. I bought a few lens rear caps from Sony at 5$ each so the NEX cap sounds like a bargain :D

Jim DE

hot you really know how to make a guy feel bad...... with shipping I paid over $30 for the rear lens cap alone :(

kitsVA

Thanks for the information. I ordered one as well for the body. The 18-55mm lens rear cap is $25. I thought that is insane pricing. Will pick up one from ebay for that.

roweraay

The 18-55mm lens rear cap is $25. I thought that is insane pricing. .
It is not "pricing" it is "gouging" :mad: In my case, since I ordered the 16mm separately (from the 18-55/NEX5 kit), I got both the body cap and the lens-cap along with it.

B

bruin

I got neither with my NEX-5 16mm kit, but I called Sony customer care and pressed them to send me one since their own website (sonystyle) says that a lens rear cap is included. After half an hour on the phone, they agreed to send me one free. That phone call cost Sony way more than the cap....

kitsVA

It is not "pricing" it is "gouging" :mad: In my case, since I ordered the 16mm separately (from the 18-55/NEX5 kit), I got both the body cap and the lens-cap along with it.
Even Zeiss rear cap is $15. I ordered double lens kit from Adorama. But looks like this kit doesn't come in a different package. They already shipped me with 18-55mm kit and emailed me 16mm pancake is back ordered and will ship as soon as they have it in stock. So, I am assuming my 18-55 lens still won't have a rear cap.

roweraay

Even Zeiss rear cap is $15. I ordered double lens kit from Adorama. But looks like this kit doesn't come in a different package. They already shipped me with 18-55mm kit and emailed me 16mm pancake is back ordered and will ship as soon as they have it in stock. So, I am assuming my 18-55 lens still won't have a rear cap.
Your 18-55 will not have a rear cap but when you get your 16mm separately, that in turn will have the caps.

I ordered the NEX5+18-55 combo initially (from Sonystyle), at a time when the dual-lens kit was not available. This combo did not come with the caps.

Later on, I ordered the 16mm separately (separate lens order), and that did come with the caps. So I am guessing that when Adorama sends across the 16mm later on, that will come with front and rear caps.

T

tigertimb

As 'hot' has stated, 3rd party caps have just appeared on ebay; someone obviously spotting the need even if Sony didn't! (in fairness, the extra lens cap is only 'needed' when you add 3rd party adaptors, so maybe they should have come with the caps; but I was still surprised and disappointed that a pair weren't in the original box so you could take the lens off)

I've ordered a pair of body and lens caps so no more needing to leave the 16mm unprotected when using an adaptor, and the body cap means that the camera can now pack neater when not in use.

hot

Hmmmm, all 10 pieces $6.99 "overnight" sold.

Hehe, both caps for Sony Alpha you get for $ 2.99 incl. shipping :)

2000 kits available.

Sony Alpha