The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex and "other" lenses

C

Coms37

I have no clue as what or how all these nice images are posted here but my Nex with the 90mm Summicron performs miserably....

The 50mm is OK at times depending on what, and when one shoot the image

The 35mm, well no better than the 16mm

Maybe I'm missing a trick or two here (probably!) but if you have a Nex and want an uncomplicated shooting experience stick with the Nex lenses.

Don't want to upset people but a Nex with any Cron or Lux is at least 1500$ camera, however you might want to calculate it .... in which case it's a waste of money (theoretically that is)

I am really disappointed with my Leica adapter, thank god I had the lenses but they don't come to life on the Nex as they do on Leica cameras.... well thats what they were made for.

Comparisons with the X1, the X1 is better no matter what lens you use on the Nex, apples and oranges maybe, I'm not a technical photographer but one that looks at the images after all thats why one practices photography.

There is a member here, I think called John.. (to lazy to look it up) whom has been posting Nex-X1 comparisons all over the internet defending his point of view that the Nex is a better camera .... well it isn't, you can compare 0,00000x specs and complain about this that or the other, but the end result is what count, to me at least and I must say the X1 gives a better result in both Jpeg as in RAW...

I can see the fun of trying things on things and bending things so they fit better, I think I might quite like doing that as well ... in a couple of years that is, but for me photography is all about the end result, the final print you hold in your hand .... nothing else

douglasf13

I agree that the final print matters. What I question is the workflow that you use to get there, and that is were the technical part comes into play. Flare, holding technique, exposure, RAW conversion, print setup, etc. all makes a difference, and different cameras usually require different methods.

At the pixel level, NEX's base sensor technology is more advanced than the Leica M9, which is based on Kodak sensor tech that is quite outdated. Outside of the missing AA filter, the reason that the M9 still holds up so well is that it leverages its larger sensor size, and that goes a long way. A 35mm NEX sensor without an AA filter would be quite a jump over the M9 in sensor IQ, but we won't be seeing that anytime soon, so the M9 will still be the one to beat for a while in mirror-less cams. As for the X1, it is more similar to the NEX in sensor tech, and I'm sure that great lens on it does wonders. I'm not surprised that their isn't a better 35mm equivalent for NEX.

There is no reason that I know of as to why the 90 Summicron should be performing miserably on NEX. You may need to take a look at your workflow and your handholding/focusing methods. Do you have any samples to show us?

Terry

To get a baseline as to how the camera is functioning perhaps trying shooting off a tripod and fine tuning focus using the magnified view. If the image quality is still below par, simply sell it. If the images look ok then it is something in the focus or handholding in the field that isn't working for you.
Some people don't like to focus via LCD because they are eyeglass wearers and moving from looking at near to far distances just doesn't work. Handholding a 90 with magnified view is not easy.

Edit: I'm wondering is image uniformly bad? Maybe adapter not level or made well?

I have no clue as what or how all these nice images are posted here but my Nex with the 90mm Summicron performs miserably....

The 50mm is OK at times depending on what, and when one shoot the image

The 35mm, well no better than the 16mm

Maybe I'm missing a trick or two here (probably!) but if you have a Nex and want an uncomplicated shooting experience stick with the Nex lenses.

Don't want to upset people but a Nex with any Cron or Lux is at least 1500$ camera, however you might want to calculate it .... in which case it's a waste of money (theoretically that is)

I am really disappointed with my Leica adapter, thank god I had the lenses but they don't come to life on the Nex as they do on Leica cameras.... well thats what they were made for.

Comparisons with the X1, the X1 is better no matter what lens you use on the Nex, apples and oranges maybe, I'm not a technical photographer but one that looks at the images after all thats why one practices photography.

There is a member here, I think called John.. (to lazy to look it up) whom has been posting Nex-X1 comparisons all over the internet defending his point of view that the Nex is a better camera .... well it isn't, you can compare 0,00000x specs and complain about this that or the other, but the end result is what count, to me at least and I must say the X1 gives a better result in both Jpeg as in RAW...

I can see the fun of trying things on things and bending things so they fit better, I think I might quite like doing that as well ... in a couple of years that is, but for me photography is all about the end result, the final print you hold in your hand .... nothing else

Last edited:

monza

Yes, samples please. :)

I'm not sure there is not a 35mm equivalent for the NEX that is comparable to the X1.

sebboh

i'm shocked to hear the 90 cron isn't performing well for you as well? my first suggestion would be to try it on a tripod as i find camera movement is much more of a problem on my NEX than my dslr. i would shoot 1/200 or faster with that lens. i can't think of any reason why that lens should perform worse on the NEX than on an m8 - it's plenty telecentric, and now that i've looked at my raws from the NEX in aperture i'm very impressed with the detail it's capable of.

roweraay

A 35mm NEX sensor without an AA filter would be quite a jump over the M9 in sensor IQ, but we won't be seeing that anytime soon, so the M9 will still be the one to beat for a while in mirror-less cams.
I read a couple of blimps (sources will remain undisclosed) that the next Leica "M10" will move away from the old Kodak CCD and onto a Sony CMOS sensor. That Sony is already working with Leica on that project. Clearly any such sensor will have serious micro-lens offsetting to enable it to work with the Leica M.

Put two-and-two together and I am not discounting anything at all, when it comes to Sony themselves using this sensor, in the not too far future. ;)

douglasf13

I read a couple of blimps (sources will remain undisclosed) that the next Leica "M10" will move away from the old Kodak CCD and onto a Sony CMOS sensor. That Sony is already working with Leica on that project. Clearly any such sensor will have serious micro-lens offsetting to enable it to work with the Leica M.

Put two-and-two together and I am not discounting anything at all, when it comes to Sony themselves using this sensor, in the not too far future. ;)
That would be awesome. I hope it happens.