Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

meilicke

Re: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

I unexpectedly won a contax 90 g on eBay , and do not have an adapter. I see the common one to choose is the kipon. Are there other worthy adapters? The kipon seems a little pricey.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone here try a Pentax 50mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone mentioned kipon contax G to nex adaptors cheaper in the US, but did not give a link. I see those on amazon, but am not sure they are the kipon adapter, which I have and really like.

meilicke

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    Someone mentioned kipon contax G to nex adaptors cheaper in the US, but did not give a link. I see those on amazon, but am not sure they are the kipon adapter, which I have and really like.
    I found one on eBay that was not advertised as a kipon, but had "kipon" on the adapter in the picture. It was 90 vs 130+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Did anyone here try a Pentax 50mm?
    The Pentax lenses, being SLR lenses with long registration distances, behave as well on NEX as any other APS-C camera. I am currently trying to decide which I like better, my SMC Tak 50/1.4 or my Voigtlander 50/1.5. The Pentax has the advantage of a closer minimum focus, and the Voigtlander has the advantage of a smaller size.

hardloaf

Quote Originally Posted by chiquita View Post
    Looking for a nice lens for my NEX5. Has anyone used the Nikkor 24 or 28mm f2.8 AIS and if so, could you please post some examples? Would it work with the NEX/NIKON adapter that I already have (tried the 35mm 1.8DX but obviously not a manual lens!) Thanks.
    I have very positive experience with Nikkor 20/2.8 AIS. Works very well on NEX, size with adapter is not too big and it's lightweight. Here is one sample and all other wide angle shots in that stream are also made with this lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much Andrey. Much appreciated. You have some great photos there, particularly the B & Ws

Post Thanks / Like

what is the last word concerning contax g 21mm biogon? can it be adapted on NEX? some people claim they use them. Do they require some surgery - removal of the protective fins?

Post Thanks / Like

Any observations on what the widest angle lens can be used on the NEX-5 without edge smearing, or a color cast. I saw the Zeiss 25 mm ZM at the NY Photo Expo and it would certainly appear to provide a useful field of view (37 mm effective fie of view).

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Martin, Legacy rangefinder lenses 35mm seems to be as wide as you can go without smearing or color shifts. Adapted SLR lenses you can go as wide as you can afford (no issue with them at all)

Amatieris, As far as the 21mm Contax G lens on the NEX my position has been plainly stated several times:

1. It will not mount without interference with the inside camera housing with a Kipon adapter (first hand experience as I own a 21 and REALLY wanted it to work as good as it does on my Contax G2).

2. From the pics I have seen from those using the 21mm Contax G on the NEX (obviously they trimmed the lens fins to mount it) the IQ results are so poor at various focus points and apertures that IMO there is no reason to alter my fantastic 21mm lens when used on the Contax G2 to accomplish such poor results with smearing and horrible color shifts by using it on the NEX.

Others can do as they wish ....... I'll keep my 21mm uncut and mounted on my Contax G2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The Pentax lenses, being SLR lenses with long registration distances, behave as well on NEX as any other APS-C camera. I am currently trying to decide which I like better, my SMC Tak 50/1.4 or my Voigtlander 50/1.5. The Pentax has the advantage of a closer minimum focus, and the Voigtlander has the advantage of a smaller size.
    Thanks, bud. I cannot wait to try my 50mm f1.4 on the NEX5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Amatieris, As far as the 21mm Contax G lens on the NEX my position has been plainly stated several times:

1. It will not mount without interference with the inside camera housing with a Kipon adapter (first hand experience as I own a 21 and REALLY wanted it to work as good as it does on my Contax G2).

2. From the pics I have seen from those using the 21mm Contax G on the NEX (obviously they trimmed the lens fins to mount it) the IQ results are so poor at various focus points and apertures that IMO there is no reason to alter my fantastic 21mm lens when used on the Contax G2 to accomplish such poor results with smearing and horrible color shifts by using it on the NEX.

Others can do as they wish ....... I'll keep my 21mm uncut and mounted on my Contax G2
    Sad news indeed! You mention Kipon adapter, is there a chance someone has made (or can make) an adapter that allows this lens mounted without the romoval of the fins?
    I can live with some degradation in image quality with the lens in hope that these issues become solved with future sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

The mount would have to be about 2mm thicker which would hold the rear lens extensions off the inner camera body. I am sure it could be done if they wanted to do it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

...and then it wouldn't focus to infinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apparently Kipon has made a design change. Their latest contax G adapter is supposed to work with the 21 biogon without modification of the lens. As far as quality of the image goes, I don't have any idea.

Mike

Martin, Legacy rangefinder lenses 35mm seems to be as wide as you can go without smearing or color shifts. Adapted SLR lenses you can go as wide as you can afford (no issue with them at all)

Post Thanks / Like

Any good successes with using 28mm lens on the NEX?
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone here try leica M lenses? I have a 35mm, 50mm and a 135mm that I think could be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike that one seller on eBay advertised that it worked on the 21 back in July when I bought mine from him. It doesn't and I informed him of such and he responded that he knows it doesn't work and the ad was in error. Guess he just refuses to make a change in his ad.

Let the buyer beware .... The rest of the experience with this seller was good though. It just doesn't work with a 21 .... I can hands on attest to it! There IS ONLY ONE Kipon Contax G to NEX adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike that one seller on eBay advertised that it worked on the 21 back in July when I bought mine from him. It doesn't and I informed him of such and he responded that he knows it doesn't work and the ad was in error. Guess he just refuses to make a change in his ad.

Let the buyer beware .... The rest of the experience with this seller was good though. It just doesn't work with a 21 .... I can hands on attest to it! There IS ONLY ONE Kipon Contax G to NEX adapter.
    I ordered my Kipon adapter from the same guy, after he had pictures in his ad that showed the 21mm mounted on the NEX via the adapter. He stated that the 21mm worked without any mods, except for the fact that the adapter itself was very tight and a few rub marks had developed between the adapter and the camera mount (due to the tightness).

However, after you stated that the lens does have interference, I then turned around and cancelled the ebay adapter order. Did not want to risk it, especially since I really wanted a wider perspective than the ubiquitous 35mm lenses and truly wanted a 21-24mm lens. I thus did not need the adapter, if it did not work with the 21mm.

My Minolta 24mm f/2.8 serves that purpose very well on my A55 now ! Light, small and decent wide open performance with no color shifts or distortions.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

bruin

I mentioned this earlier in this thread... but it's worth repeating that I tested the CV 28/2 and found no corner smearing or color shifts at the edges. Some (not all) 28mm RF lenses will be fine on the NEX, and most 35mm as well. Any lens with a deep rear element, like the Jupiter-12, should be tested first though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bruin, I have seen many 35mm and longer length images, and they are wonderful. I haven't seen many 28mm and wider MF lens images from the NEX.

Interesting point about the lens depth factor, a 35 asph cron goes much deeper, and is concave relative to an older 35 cron 1-IV version, I wonder if that affects IQ differently on a nex than say a FF film camera?

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    I mentioned this earlier in this thread... but it's worth repeating that I tested the CV 28/2 and found no corner smearing or color shifts at the edges. Some (not all) 28mm RF lenses will be fine on the NEX, and most 35mm as well. Any lens with a deep rear element, like the Jupiter-12, should be tested first though.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Bruin I would like to see a non PP corrected image from that CV 28/2 focused to infinity and set to F2. It would be a first for me to see a RF lens under 35mm without color shift and smearing. I have seen some posted as examples of other lenses but some were definitely NOT focused to infinity and others had far greater depth of field than a 2.8 or under lens should produce so I had doubts that they were set fully open. Trust me I would like to find one.

My Contax G 28 definitely shows these traits up to 5.6 as I have stated many times...... that is why I shoot it at 5.6 or smaller aperture when I use it. It might be the CV to NEX adapter is thicker than the ContaxG to NEX making the angle of light to the edge of the sensor less but I would think it would be just the reverse not needing a focus ring.

Please post a infinity focused image set at f2 from that 28mm..... I may have to get one if it looks good.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 1st November 2010 at 09:49.

bruin

I shot two scenes at f2 from the top of a 20+ story building, critically focused to infinity (not the infinity mark on the lens). Both are overexposed a bit because I didn't have a ND filter or polarizer handy and I was already at 1/4000. I also shot a few at f4, f8, and f16 for comparison. The lens is definitely softer at f2 compared to stopped down, but I saw no corner smearing or color shifting that stood out to me at 100% view.

Jim, PM me your email address and I'll send you the RAW files so you can judge for yourself. Maybe I'm not recognizing what others see in their 28s. And if you have the spare time, you could produce corner crops to post here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If the goal is 28mm or wider, with no smearing or color shifts, I'd suggest just adapting an SLR lens. There are many excellent ones available, very reasonably priced.

This is what I'm doing for a 24mm, I'll be getting the excellent Nikkor AIS. This lens has close range correction, with much closer focusing than any 24mm RF wide angle.

Sure, the SLR lenses may be bigger and the adapter bigger, but this is a small sacrifice considering the far better performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, I do exactly as you have stated and yes it works very well with SLR lenses. Ideally I would like a CZ G mount wide angle but we have to wait for these. If someone found a small RF wide angle lens that works with great glass then I am willing to jump and get one for my needs right now. I look to RF lenses due to there size and optical quality for use on the NEX. (Heck I have attached my NEX to a 300mm SLR lens with extension tubes before but I do prefer to keep it small and light )

Bruin E-Mail sent. Maybe tough to see smearing on a downward city shot but we will see. It is easiest seen when a shot is made of a distant flat forest scene. Leaves and trees show these issues the best.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a small, light RF with no corner smearing or color shift appears to be the holy grail. The 25mm Zeiss Biogon appears to work reasonably well with some color shift; whether the degree of shift is acceptable is in the eye of the beholder.

Their innate 'optical quality' (i.e., their RF design) that makes such lenses great on film is in fact the very thing that causes issues on the NEX. Even the M9 with its micro lenses cannot handle some wides, like the 21mm SA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully, that prototype Zeiss e-mount lens is around 24mm and comes sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,

I got the link from a potential trader for one of my for sale items. After your last I see the comment in the seller questions at the bottom of the listing is July so I suspect you are right. Nevertheless here is the listing, please confirm that it is the same one you are speaking of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-Adapter-Co...item483b3758e9

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

here's another interesting small 35mm f/2 i just stumbled across:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2745wt_1141

and some pictures with from the seller:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkpen...7624736175687/

Post Thanks / Like

Mike..... yep that's the same one. That is not my question at the bottom ...I e Mailed them on this before and after. Before they stated "no Problem" after when there was a problem. "yes we are aware that the 21 does not mount".

But it does work with the rest of the primes above 21

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    here's another interesting small 35mm f/2 i just stumbled across:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2745wt_1141

and some pictures with from the seller:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkpen...7624736175687/
    Interesting. That lens looks almost identical to the tiny Schneider C-Curtagon 35mm f2.8 that I used to own in m42 mount. If you go to the seller's page, there are listings for the Xenon in m4/3 mount, and also m42 Helicoid mounts. It looks like the seller is simply attaching their own adapter onto the Xenon lens. Odd.

http://shop.ebay.com/hawks_factory/m.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Interesting. That lens looks almost identical to the tiny Schneider C-Curtagon 35mm f2.8 that I used to own in m42 mount. If you go to the seller's page, there are listings for the Xenon in m4/3 mount, and also m42 Helicoid mounts. It looks like the seller is simply attaching their own adapter onto the Xenon lens. Odd.

http://shop.ebay.com/hawks_factory/m.html
    yeah, i couldn't find much info about that specific lens, but from the pictures it doesn't look like it would be any improvement over my pen f 38/1.8. i can think of some interesting things to do with those helicoid adapters though. the focus on the lens he's offering might be better than the contax g for some people as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to show how my 35mm equivalent walkaround with absolutely no distortions or color shifts or corner smudging or any of those unpleasantness looks like (A55 + Minolta 24mm f/2.8 that weighs in at around 200gms or so), here is a picture:

A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay and it can not use any legacy RF lenses which IS the main reason I picked a NEX.

I have said this many times ..... I carry both a a33 and a NEX5 and the NEX handles 90% of my shooting and the a33 does the other 10% and is carried for long AF zoom work and some rare off camera flash stuff. Both have excellent IQ. It is just the NEX and its ability to shoot every make lens I own makes it my goto carry camera. I can carry 7 lenses, filters, small tripod, and accessories in/on a 9"x14" doctors style camera bag that is very light and compact.

The bag with the stuff for the a33 is much bigger and only has 3 lenses, filters, and a flash with accessories and stays in the truck 99% of the time.

My carry set up is the NEX5, its bag, and the a33 with a long zoom attached and slung over my back in a tele dslr vertical shoulder case. If I need long telephoto shots it's there just in case. Most days the a33 never see's daylight but when you need it you need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A55 is a cool camera, but, with the thickness of the A55/33 body, for my uses I may as well use the A900. A55/33 and NEX serve very different purposes.
    Last edited by douglasf13; 1st November 2010 at 21:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Did anyone here try leica M lenses? I have a 35mm, 50mm and a 135mm that I think could be great.
    Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rangefinder lenses from 35mm and up generally don't have any problems on NEX. It is the wider than 35mm lenses that may show color shift or other problems in the corners. If I owned 35, 50 and 135 M lenses, the NEX would be a no-brainer for me. I actually bought a few 35s, a 50 and an 80 M and Nikon rangefinder mount lenses to go with the NEX-5.

Post Thanks / Like

why doesn't voigtlander make a fast 24 grrrrr!

Post Thanks / Like

The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?

Post Thanks / Like

The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?
    because it might not. the smearing and color shift have to do with the design of the lens. leica m 24mm lenses tend to be a bit retrofocal and thus might no smear as bad as the some 28mm lenses (anybody with $6k laying around want to test out the 24 lux ). also i don't really care if there is color shift and smearing at infinity and f/2 or faster as long as it takes care of itself by ~f/5.6. the results look pretty good from the zm 25mm despite the color shift, but it is too slow for me.

Post Thanks / Like

You kinda went in a circle; you don't care if smearing and color shift take care of themselves by f5.6 but .... The 25 it too slow?????? Why would slow matter if your going to use a lens at 5.6 or more????????

Post Thanks / Like

You kinda went in a circle; you don't care if smearing and color shift take care of themselves by f5.6 but .... The 25 it too slow?????? Why would slow matter if your going to use a lens at 5.6 or more????????
    i'm not going to only use the lens at f/5.6 or smaller. i'm only going to use it at infinite at f/5.6 or smaller. also, when i shoot at f/2 or wider the corners are never in focus anyway.

mike_hk2ksk

Here are some test shots with 21/4 skopar. Color shift issues (fixed by cornerfix) but no smearing. Here are two OOC JPEGS with no issues as far as I can tell. Then a before and after shot originally taken as RAW, converted to DNG and fixed by CF.

Attachment 37015
    Attachment 37016
    Attachment 37018
    Attachment 37017

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the CV 12mm, 21mm, 28mm f2, 50mm f1.1, 75mm f1.8 and 90mm on NEX 5s with good results. Personally, I find all this hoopla about smeared and coloured corners is overblown. Yes there's some evidence of it, but in the grand scheme of things if the image is a strong one, it doesn't worry me in the least, especially if I'm shooting for B&W.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As long as the corners are ok by around f5.6, I'm fine with it. Most lenses don't have particularly sharp corners at wider apertures, anyways.

I'm starting to notice would may be characterized as focus shift in the corners, and I think the microlenses cause it. I'm finding that if I focus in the corners, rather than the center, it is possible to get much sharper corners. Normally, I would attribute this to field curvature, but I think the microlenses with the angled light rays may be the culprit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    i'm not going to only use the lens at f/5.6 or smaller. i'm only going to use it at infinite at f/5.6 or smaller. also, when i shoot at f/2 or wider the corners are never in focus anyway.
    very good point about the corners being irrelevant at large apertures. It is always better to have no colour shift and smearing but I start to think I could live with it as long as it was possible to mount the biogon 21 on NEX.

nex100

21mm Contax G with Kipon adapter works well on the Nex giving it a equivalent fov of 32mm which is good for general photography. No smearing only color shifts when taking pictures of the sky (or light colored background) which can be fixed by corner fix and since it can batch process my photos i think it is ok.

I cut the little legs of these contax g lens (21mm & 28mm) which does nothing for photographs. I just have to put the lens upside down with their caps on. I've tried contax g lens 21mm, 28mm, 45mm and 90mm. I think all are great and they make a nice set on the Nex.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience! I would appreciate greatly if you posted some pictures taken with 21mm and 28mm - not to look for smearing but to see what can be achieved with the lens. Do you have to cut the legs off completely or only say 2mm off?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

I would love the zm 25 but I'm thinking a cv 24 would be half the price. I'm also hoping that the zeiss e-mount is a 24mm so I'm hesitant of getting a lens then have to replace it.

nex100

Quote Originally Posted by Amatieris View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I would appreciate greatly if you posted some pictures taken with 21mm and 28mm - not to look for smearing but to see what can be achieved with the lens. Do you have to cut the legs off completely or only say 2mm off?
    i only cut off enough such that the lens protector are shorter then the rear element.

here are the photos. 2 of which ith full size jpegs

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7613848043/photos