Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hk2ksk View Post
    Here are some test shots with 21/4 skopar. Color shift issues (fixed by cornerfix) but no smearing. Here are two OOC JPEGS with no issues as far as I can tell. Then a before and after shot originally taken as RAW, converted to DNG and fixed by CF.

Attachment 37015
    Attachment 37016
    Attachment 37018
    Attachment 37017

Mike,
    I used cornerfix on my M8, but haven't tried it with NEX files. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 f/2.8 ZM and would love to use it on the NEX, but the color shift is not a regular vignette. Can you explain what you have to do with Cornerfix to correct a file that has an irregular color shift. My photos all have more magenta on the right side of the photo. TIA

mike_hk2ksk

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Mike,
    I used cornerfix on my M8, but haven't tried it with NEX files. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 f/2.8 ZM and would love to use it on the NEX, but the color shift is not a regular vignette. Can you explain what you have to do with Cornerfix to correct a file that has an irregular color shift. My photos all have more magenta on the right side of the photo. TIA
    Cindy,

I am new to Cornerfix, but happy to share my experiences.

Apparently there is a really easy way to create a CF profile specific to your lens. Irrelugar shift will be calibrated out. All you need is large enough white poster board. It's all described in a good tutorial here:
    http://www.digitalhapeman.com/Digita...M_Cameras.html

I have not done this yet. Instead I am using one of the profiles provided with the latest CF version, that approximates my lens shift close enough.

Hope this helps.

Here is another useful link: http://sites.google.com/site/chromasoft/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Mike,
    Cindy,

CornerFix 1.4.0.3 should work fine with a NEX - I have a NEX-5 myself these days

CornerFix is good at irregular vignetting since the M9 came out(!) The process is exactly the same as for regular M8/M9 vignetting, other than you have to convert the NEX file to DNG via Adobe's free DNG converter.

There's a new CornerFix website that gives a better explanation than the old PDF files here: http://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/

Regards,

Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Mike for the information. Thank you Sandy. I sincerely appreciate the work that you have done on cornerfix. I haven't used it in a while and will get busy and give my Zeiss 25 a spin on the NEX.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hk2ksk View Post
    Cindy,

I am new to Cornerfix, but happy to share my experiences.

Apparently there is a really easy way to create a CF profile specific to your lens. Irrelugar shift will be calibrated out. All you need is large enough white poster board. It's all described in a good tutorial here:
    http://www.digitalhapeman.com/Digita...M_Cameras.html

I have not done this yet. Instead I am using one of the profiles provided with the latest CF version, that approximates my lens shift close enough.

Hope this helps.

Here is another useful link: http://sites.google.com/site/chromasoft/
    Quote Originally Posted by sandymc View Post
    Cindy,

CornerFix 1.4.0.3 should work fine with a NEX - I have a NEX-5 myself these days

CornerFix is good at irregular vignetting since the M9 came out(!) The process is exactly the same as for regular M8/M9 vignetting, other than you have to convert the NEX file to DNG via Adobe's free DNG converter.

There's a new CornerFix website that gives a better explanation than the old PDF files here: http://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/

Regards,

Sandy

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just did some test shots with the ... (drum roll) ... Leica M50/.095 ASPH.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed there is now a new Metabones adapter that apparently allows 21mm to be mounted on NEX. Anyone used it yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Amatieris, I just went to their site and saw it listed but the tab to open it's file does not work ...... I am guessing it is too new to be in production yet. If it does allow the 21 to work on it I will surely order one if it has a large focus ring like the Kipon. I am going to call them Monday on this. Thanks for the heads up.

How do you know it allows the 21mm Contax G to work?

Post Thanks / Like

I see a tutorial on using Contax G 21 and 28 on 4/3 cameras but it shows how to cut the lens extensions to get them to work ..... hope that is not their solution for the NEX too.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Sigma 8-12mm on NEX or other alternatives for ultra-wide?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Coincidently, we went to an early dinner and then to a photo Gallery opening last night, and I took the NEX with a 21mm mounted using the Kipon adapter.

Only took 4 snaps, and here they are posted below ... mostly "window shots" as we headed for the opening (where I bought a phenomenal B&W print from a local photographer).

ISO 1600, manual exposure, Leica 21/1.4 ASPH. mostly wide open. The ornament is a severe crop from Christmas window shot (Jeeze, Christmas stuff already?). The "Diner" shot is hard to tell from a M9 shot ($500. verses $7,000.)

Interestingly, the NEX seems to exhibit less sensor bloom around specular highlights compared to the M9. I'll have to confirm that with a lot more shooting. This 21 lens is very sharp even wide open. I could detect no vignette color casts in the corners or edges.

I solved the small camera/bigger lens issue, at least for me. I mounted an old Leica wrist strap on the left side of the camera so I can carry the rig by gripping the lens in my fist ... there are too many buttons to deal with the right hand to have it confined in any way. My only wish for the NEX would be to have the focus assist magnifier button located at the top right rather than the lower right. I'm still practicing with this little bugger, and still trying to get the rhythm down for shooting manually. Can't use it for anything "real" until that is accomplished.

-Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 7th November 2010 at 03:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the pics, Marc. Glad to see the 21 Lux doesn't have any issues. I totally agree about the location of the magnification button. I was hoping that the firmware update would change that, but I guess that was a little too optimistic. I'm slowly getting better and better at nailing focus without magnification at f2 and up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Is the smearing and/or color shift with RF wides on the NEX only in the corners/edges, or throughout the center of the image too?

I'd love to use my CV 21/4 on the NEX, and try my LTM 15/4.5, and 28/2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issues generally pop up near the edges, and they sometimes improve when stopping down. There are so many factors that contribute to the edge performance that it's pretty tough to determine how each lens will perform without trying it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a tutorial on using Contax G 21 and 28 on 4/3 cameras but it shows how to cut the lens extensions to get them to work ..... hope that is not their solution for the NEX too.
    Hi, I saw the adapter on ebay as well! there was a picture and description, stating that 21mm works with it, I will try to find the link to ebay!

Post Thanks / Like

Link for the metabones adapter I have found:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metabones-Cont...item336241c460

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't believe it matters which adapter is used. It's part of the inside of the sensor box that gets in the way of the 21mm ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug I would agree unless the adapter is slightly thicker which would eliminate the interference issue but would effectively also change the field of view too unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like

Doug I would agree unless the adapter is slightly thicker which would eliminate the interference issue but would effectively also change the field of view too unfortunately
    it wouldn't change the field of view, it would make it a macro only lens.

koji

The newest Kipon G->E adapter works with the unmodified G-Biogon 21mm.
    Though the image has slight colour shift in the corners, also better than CV SWH 15/4.5's.
    (see it for yourself > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/inbox)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koji View Post
    The newest Kipon G->E adapter works with the unmodified G-Biogon 21mm.
    Though the image has slight colour shift in the corners, also better than CV SWH 15/4.5's.
    (see it for yourself > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/inbox)
    Hi, I suppose the link is to your pictures? In which case you have tested the adapter yourself. Could you please give a link to the new adapter and tell me how can I tell it apart from the old one?
    BTW I wrote an email to the ebay seller and got a reply that Metabones adapter still requires cutting of the protective fins of 21mm (about 3mm off).

koji

Amatieris,

I just bought it at eBay, so do not have a link now. As long as it is made by Kipon,
    you will be ok, since NEX3/5 have larger openings you do not have to cut the legs
    (rear protector fins).

Post Thanks / Like

I thought someone here tested a micro 4/3 lens on the nex. Can it cover the nex sensor?

here's a Ķ4/3 adapter for the nex
    http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...s-adapter.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    I thought someone here tested a micro 4/3 lens on the nex. Can it cover the nex sensor?
    EVEN if it doesn't cover full NEX sensor - there is a chance, that covered part (I think not smaller than native u43 one) will bring better IQ than u43 sensor.

Only you need to take care in post processing (RAW) for removing distortions and aberrations - which are automatically removed in u43 world (by supported RAW software, eg. LR, ACR, Aperture as I know too).

PS: I have sent query to eBay seller for more details. Will post answer when receive it.

meilicke

Aperture control would be a concern on many lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That Voigtlander lens could be pretty interesting if it covers the sensor, as it's a manual aperture...hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    That Voigtlander lens could be pretty interesting if it covers the sensor, as it's a manual aperture...hmm...
    yep, i would definitely buy that. here is a shot with the regular 4/3 50mm f/2:

i was just holding the lens up to the camera using an FD to NEX adapter as a spacer, but vignetting doesn't look bad at all. hopefully, the voigtlander lens will have a similar image circle. the autofocus Ķ4/3 lenses won't be much use since they are all focus by wire, but if you have both systems this would be a good way to not need doubles of all your adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    PS: I have sent query to eBay seller for more details. Will post answer when receive it.
    Q: Hello! Are u43 lenses enough big to cover NEX APS-C sensor? Do you have any sample images with this combination?

A: Dear sir, I have not test more lenses. This adapter is for some M4/3 adapter and lenses been modified to M4/3 mount that user do not need buy or modified again to E mount.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same answer. Cheap enough to order and test...Hawk is a reliable seller.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the GetDPIforums while researching what new camera to purchase – this forum is really great!

I'm a hobbyist who particularly likes taking panoramic photos. I just sold all my film gear (medium-format Noblex, 35mm Roundshot, & Imacon scanner) to "force" myself to make the full digital transition. (I’ve had point & shoot digitals for some time now, but I don’t count those.)

One thing that’s important to me for my new equipment is size & weight. (My wife & I travel a lot – we’ll be going to Vietnam & Cambodia in February.) I’ll be stitching my images together, & image sharpness is important for me as well. I understand I may have to make some compromises...like I can’t bring myself to justify an M9 though it meets size, weight, image quality, etc.

The NEX looks intriguing to me; small, & with a great-dynamic-range sensor…but darn, I wish it had EVF & in-camera image stabilization like the EP2, & of course, better glass!
    I’m also looking at the new Sony A55 which has attractive features, but at the expense of size & weight.

I have some questions about alternative manually-operated lenses for the NEX, but before I ask them, I’m wading through the 1000+ posts in the “Fun with the NEX…” as well as other threads. In the mean time, I thought I'd introduce myself now, & come back after I’m done wading.

Thanks for the forum!

--Alan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypix View Post
    I found the GetDPIforums while researching what new camera to purchase Ė this forum is really great!

I'm a hobbyist who particularly likes taking panoramic photos. I just sold all my film gear (medium-format Noblex, 35mm Roundshot, & Imacon scanner) to "force" myself to make the full digital transition. (Iíve had point & shoot digitals for some time now, but I donít count those.)

One thing thatís important to me for my new equipment is size & weight. (My wife & I travel a lot Ė weíll be going to Vietnam & Cambodia in February.) Iíll be stitching my images together, & image sharpness is important for me as well. I understand I may have to make some compromises...like I canít bring myself to justify an M9 though it meets size, weight, image quality, etc.

The NEX looks intriguing to me; small, & with a great-dynamic-range sensorÖbut darn, I wish it had EVF & in-camera image stabilization like the EP2, & of course, better glass!
    Iím also looking at the new Sony A55 which has attractive features, but at the expense of size & weight.

I have some questions about alternative manually-operated lenses for the NEX, but before I ask them, Iím wading through the 1000+ posts in the ďFun with the NEXÖĒ as well as other threads. In the mean time, I thought I'd introduce myself now, & come back after Iím done wading.

Thanks for the forum!

--Alan
    Welcome Alan!

I'll answer a few of your questions before you even ask them ...

I use a NEX as a second camera to a Leica M9 ... so use an adapter for M lenses. That was my answer to "better glass". There are a number of less expensive alternatives that also provide the answer.

The NEX or A55 will NOT give you the image quality for panoramics that you were getting from the equipment you listed above. Easier? Yes, by far. Better or even equal IQ? No.
    I use Leica M ASPH lenses on a NEX and can't get the pano feature to work with an adapter and M manual focus lenses ... it aborts the process almost immediately. I'm going to try and experiment more with this to see if it can be done.

RE: Size weight for travel. I also have the A55. For travel of the type you mention, I'd select the A55 over the NEX ... or use the NEX as a back-up. Exclusively using only a LCD for composition (or manual focusing), in certain lighting conditions can be difficult.

I'm sure you will have a lot more questions, but that's a start.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - what focal length lens were you trying that kept cutting out? I know the Sony tends to like wides better for the panos and particularly doesn't like when there are objects in the foreground with the main subject further away. I've got an M-adapter and will try to use the pano function but I'm pretty sure I had done some successfully with the Contax G 35mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alan -
    Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping what you are looking for is the next NEX to be released. E mount (to be able to use rangefinder lenses) with a built in EVF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been successful using the panorama with Contax G 28mm, but as Terry said, have difficulties when some objects are closer to the camera and when I pan fast or too slow.
    I am in search of an affordable macro lens to use in different sorts of museums in Europe this summer and wonder what people would suggest to shoot things both large and small in tight places.
    At the moment the Sigma 24mm Super Wide II 2.8 appears to fit the bill since it does pretty well in available light and macros to 1:4. (And it runs around 50$) Here are two photos for download, one with the Sigma of a section of a postcard at 1:4 and the other of the same postcard with a Contax G 28mm at its closest point-----a wider view. Of course the Sigma is large on a Nex. Is there something else in the rangefinder size that would allow me to get close but also be wide enough for close quarters?
    Sigma 24mm:
    http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8t87ZTA0OT
    Contax G 28mm:
    http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8t89MTRiYW

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Marc - what focal length lens were you trying that kept cutting out? I know the Sony tends to like wides better for the panos and particularly doesn't like when there are objects in the foreground with the main subject further away. I've got an M-adapter and will try to use the pano function but I'm pretty sure I had done some successfully with the Contax G 35mm.
    Right you are. It was a Leica M75/1.4, in low light. I just used a M/28/2 in brighter light and it was fine. In that bight beach light, the LCD was absolutely useless.

I see the NEX as a nifty tool with M lenses in regular or low light.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

If you are having trouble with the wider-angle lenses (particularly in the foregrounds) using the Sweep Panorama mode of the camera, it's probably because in "sweeping" the camera, you are way off rotating about the nodal point. As a first-order test, place your camera on a tripod & try Sweep Panorama by spinning the camera while on the tripod. It's still off the nodal point, but likely much closer than a hand-held "sweep."

--Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my latest imaging-resource.com (IR) digital photography newsletter. This issue was their "gift guide" issue in advance of Black Friday. In the optics section---

.......Luke chimed in on some mirrorless lenses he favors:

- Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=endecaSearch) -- Luke uses this on his Sony NEX-3. "It's very small and light, and works well with the NEX. It's beautifully made and looks nice on the camera, too." $339

- Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8_ZM_Lens.html) -- Luke thought this worked well on the NEX, too, with a Leica mount, but noted, "There are problems with most small rangefinder lenses wider than 35mm causing a color shift in the corners of the NEX frame. Leica ran into the same problem with their first digital cameras, and had to implement in-camera processing to correct it. It is supposedly related to the short distance and acute angles between the rear of the lens and the sensor. The Zeiss ZM 21mm f4.5 (a more compact lens) has the problem; the f2.8 version does not (or it is negligible)." $1,340

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very nice thread and there are many like it on all the forums. What we do not have is a database which reviews lenses that can be controlled directly by the nex.

This is only possible through the LAEA-1 alpha adapter. Sony has a list of THEIR lenses which now support both aperture and AF control in various degrees of usablity.

However what about third party alpha lenses?

We are attempting to gather a list here:
    http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/...hp?f=49&t=4708

Some sigma HSM II lenses will AF with the LAEA1(firmware v2), but only a few have been tested.

Even without AF, it is very useful to know which third party alphas can be aperture controled by the nex via LAEA1

e.g. the fantastic sigma 8-16mm (the answer seems to be yes for aperture).
    or the various tokinas.

If you have tested any third party alphas, please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

somebody at dpr strapped the cv 25mm f/.95 on their NEX: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=37146395

looks like the image circle doesn't quite cover the sensor.
    could still be good for environmental portraits though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my NOVOFLEX adapter....
    I thought I should share this one with you.
    Leica Noctilux f/.95 with the NEX-5.

Crazy combo
    I will try to post some picture taken with this combo later.

Stay tuned
    M (Typ240), Lux 24mm ASPH, Lux 35mm FLE, Cron APO 75mm ASPH, 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R, 80-200mm Vario-Elmar-R. Sony a7S
    MohammadTaqi.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am having great fun with the Leica pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4, and LTM lenses: Jupiter 3 50/1.5, CV 21/4, and Canon 28/2.8. Will be trying other lenses as well. The 16/2.8 has great AF, but is kind of a specialty ultra wide prime, good for landscapes and close ups. I didn't get the kit zoom, as the images I've seen with it have a bit more distortion that I like. However, it is good to know it is image stabilized.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Right you are. It was a Leica M75/1.4, in low light. I just used a M/28/2 in brighter light and it was fine. In that bight beach light, the LCD was absolutely useless.

I see the NEX as a nifty tool with M lenses in regular or low light.

-Marc
    So, any issues at all with the M 28mm cron??
    Is it the asph you are using? Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quick shot with NEX5 and Nikkor 50/2 in Leica thread mount (Sonnar clone.) Close focus version, MFD is only 18 inches, very unusual for an RF lens. Shot at f/2.8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just tested a 35/2 Summicron 8 element version 1, corner performance is excellent...not a common lens to adapt, but nonetheless, it works.

Post Thanks / Like

How about fast compact zooms? Is anyone playing around with those?

Post Thanks / Like

i've been thinking of selling some of my lenses so i did a little testing to see if my feelings from shooting with the lenses corresponded to reality. i shot 2 shots each of the following lenses at every aperture (one focused on the center one focused on the corner): contax g 35mm f/2, pen f 38mm f/1.8, pen f 42mm f/1.2, contax g 45mm f/2, minolta MD 45mm f/2, nikkor HC 5cm f/2 ltm (this lens has scratches on the front element and had fungus removed so this copy is probably not representative), minolta MD 50mm f/1.7, minolta MC 50mm f/1.4, pentax takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4, and canon FL 55mm f/1.2. the shots were taken a little more than a meter away from the target (so don't draw conclusions about landscape work) on a tripod with the 10 second timer. i refocused each time i stopped the lens down till i reached f/5.6 at which point i just stopped down without refocusing between shots. white balance settings are the same for all shots (to show lens color casts) and every shot at a given aperture is shot at the same shutter speed regardless of lens. anyway here's the results.

whole frame shot:

center crops:

corner crops:

i'll leave the deciding which are good and which are bad to those who are interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sebboh, this is very interesting. Perhaps I am missing something, but why are the Pen 42, Nikkor, Pentax, and Canon different shades if the WB was adjusted?
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    Thanks Sebboh, this is very interesting. Perhaps I am missing something, but why are the Pen 42, Nikkor, Pentax, and Canon different shades if the WB was adjusted?
    white balance settings have the same value for every lens (3500 temp, +6 tint in lightroom) rather than setting them to the same white point in each image. this means that i can see the color casts of the lens. thus, i am able to tell that the zeiss lenses have a warmer cast and the rokkor lenses have a cooler cast and that my pentax and maybe the pen f 42mm have a little bit of radioactive yellowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sebboh, that's quite a set of lenses you have there, and a very useful test. I have a Hexanon 40 AR with AR to nex adapter, I think I'd like to try a Pen 38/1.8 next. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    white balance settings have the same value for every lens (3500 temp, +6 tint in lightroom) rather than setting them to the same white point in each image. this means that i can see the color casts of the lens. thus, i am able to tell that the zeiss lenses have a warmer cast and the rokkor lenses have a cooler cast and that my pentax and maybe the pen f 42mm have a little bit of radioactive yellowing.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh, am curious if you've ever tried the 40/1.8 Hexanon pancake, and where you think it would fit in with your tests. Just curious, which ones did you decide were keepers?
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry and Marc - what I've found with Pano's on the nex is that they really like fast shutter speeds, so if there is a dark section in the pano, it will often jam there since your mf lens will keep a const aperture, but in A mode, the camera's shutter speed will go down for that frame or frames, and stop the process.

Going with shutter priority or auto or just a stop or two or three opened up to ensure fast shutter speeds will usually get through the whole Pano process.

It would have been nice if Sony had documented this better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    My Photography Blog here