Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

David K bringing us NEX owners good news today. YES!!!!

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/0...-mount-future/

Zeiss, Cosina, Sigma and Tamron – NEX E-mount future
    By admin, on February 8th, 2011
    Sony Corporation announced today it will disclose the basic specifications of its “E-mount” for interchangeable single lens cameras, without fee, to manufacturers of lenses and mount adaptors, starting April 1st, 2011. This was previously confirmed at the photokina press conference – now they have revealed that Carl Zeiss AG, Cosina, Sigma and Tamron will all be working on the E-mount system as independent lens makers.

“This opens the way for manufacturers of various lenses and mount adaptors to effectively develop products conforming to “E-mount” specifications”, say Sony.
    “Users of the Sony’s NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-VG10 and other E-mount compatible Sony digital imaging products to be launched in the future will now be able to use interchangeable lenses from both Sony and various other manufactures, while they will also be able to attach non-Sony lenses to their Sony digital imaging products via a mount adapter. Sony believes the growth of digital imaging products employing the “E-mount” will further increase the enjoyment of photography and video shooting among an even wider range of users.

“These basic specifications will be disclosed to manufactures of lenses and mount adaptors following a predefined process of approval and the signing a license agreement with Sony.

“As of today, the decision to disclose basic specifications of the E-mount has been endorsed by the following companies.”
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, but can those newbie lens makers match this?

Canon 100mm F/3.5 v3
    cute, eh?

lens review

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/canoleic.html

tests no PP

wide open f/3.5

100% centerish

100% far right

No PP of any kind straight out of camera jpeg

Now f/8 or more

Contrast way up

hmmm 185 grams 100mms...and no plastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    Sebboh, am curious if you've ever tried the 40/1.8 Hexanon pancake, and where you think it would fit in with your tests. Just curious, which ones did you decide were keepers?
    yes, i owned it for a while (used mostly on 4/3) and actually just recently sold it when i got the the pen f 42mm. it is a very good lens that is pretty sharp wide open and really sharp with high microcontrast from f2.8 on. i have no idea how it performs in the corners at apertures wider than f/5.6 because i sold it before this test and don't really shoot subjects that require corner sharpness at wide apertures. i would expect it performs better than the contax 35mm, rokkor 45mm, and rokkor 50/1.7 in terms of sharpness across the board. wide open i expect (but this is just my feeling without testing) it would be sharper at edges than the tak at f/1.4 (but not as sharp in the center) and probably a little sharper than the rokkor f/1.4 in the center but not the edges wide open.

i sold it because i wanted on small lens for taking pictures of people indoors. the pen f 42mm is smaller (on the nex), faster, sharper at wide apertures, and has color that i like better for skin tones. i think the hexanon would make a much better landscape lens though as it may be sharper stopped down, has less CA, better contrast, and less distortion (the hexanon is obviously a lot cheaper too).

edit: pen f 42mm, contax g 45mm, canon FL 55mm, tak, rokkor 50/1.4 are all definitely keepers. the rest i'm not sure about, it depends on how the test at infinity goes.

WRishel

Question Re: A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

When you test, do these lenses do automatic functions? Do any of these lenses autofocus or automatically adjust the diaphragm? It seems like any long lens needs to be treated like a superlong lens on a digital SLR, i.e., supported by a tripod socket on the lens. Can anyone recommend such a beast?

Post Thanks / Like

oly 135mm f/2.8 360grams. The lightest most compact 135 of this speed I have found. There may be a lighter 135mm of some speed but I have not found it. MD 135 and Tokina are closest I've heard of, also good and likley cheaper. This one regularly goes for 120, I paid 102 for what turned out to be a mint copy.

100:

Lens handles very well on the nex--no strain on the mount. A bit less diameter than the kit and when mounted it is longer than the kit by the width of the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRishel View Post
    When you test, do these lenses do automatic functions? Do any of these lenses autofocus or automatically adjust the diaphragm? It seems like any long lens needs to be treated like a superlong lens on a digital SLR, i.e., supported by a tripod socket on the lens. Can anyone recommend such a beast?
    only a-mount lenses will have auto aperture and only the a-mount lenses with SSM or SAM autofocus will autofocus on the NEX (and probably not especially quickly). are you looking for a long lens recommendation or a tripod collar recommendation? most telephotos have specific tripod collars made to work with them.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nikon adapters from Rainbow imaging, and probably others, come with an option for a tripod mount on the adapter.

I've handheld a Nikon 80-200 lens, and at the 200 end, it was a bit shaky for me, so I haven't bothered to try longer on the Nex. For me, 50s are a good limit, maybe 57mm. For longer, which for me, is primarily wildlife, I go to DSLRs.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was turned on to a real sleeper over at dyxum.

Perhaps the smallest and lightest 135 for the nex---and it's VERY cheap. It's also supposed to be quite good.

Minolta MD 135 f/3.5 w/49mm filter: somewhere between 26o and 280 grams and very small.

Three versions
    rokkor-x
    celtic
    md

They appear identical, but the rokkor-x would be most desireable. "MD" is newest, but appears very slightly heavier. The celtic looks identical but has different dimensions according to one data base.

Only the 49mm filter models are this small.

Easily found mint for 25USD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Contax G 90/2.8 is an outrageously good tele on NEX. It is only 190 grams, and around 74mm long with the adapter attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The Contax G 90/2.8 is an outrageously good tele on NEX. It is only 190 grams, and around 74mm long with the adapter attached.
    What's the story wtih focus on the contax G with nex? Forgive me, are they normally AF only?

I know they make great images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Contax G lenses have screw drive AF, but no focus ring. The manual focus on the G camera bodies was controlled with a wheel mounted to the body. To use on NEX, adapters with focus rings are necessary. I've gotten rather used to the two that I have, and the 90/2.8 is probably about as good as any tele ever made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    The Contax G lenses have screw drive AF, but no focus ring. The manual focus on the G camera bodies was controlled with a wheel mounted to the body. To use on NEX, adapters with focus rings are necessary. I've gotten rather used to the two that I have, and the 90/2.8 is probably about as good as any tele ever made.
    do the focus rings actually turn the helicoil, or move the lens on the adapter?

a bit of smut:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    do the focus rings actually turn the helicoil, or move the lens on the adapter?
    they turn the screw on the lens, which turns the helicoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    I will learn to spell that! ty SIR

Maybe the best telephoto deal there is for the nex:

Minolta 135mm f/3.5 MD (aka rokkor-x, celitc) 270 grams, about 25USD for a mint copy.

135mm x 1.5 = 202.5mm

Add a MD to Nex adapter, 35usd max.

This is one of the lightest, smallest 135s ever made, a modern lens. Not fast, but fine in daylight. Very good coatings and a built in hood. It's a sharp lens. (not an APO lanthar--but pretty good)

They are all over ebay.

If there is an RF 135 this light I can't find it. 100, yes, the great little canon.

Ty to peekayoh over at dyxum for the tip on this one.

PS: close focus: 1.5 meters

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a great tele deal! If I didn't already have a Nikkor 105/2.5 P*C, I'd probably consider one.

Not all of these 135/3.5's are as small as yours, for small size, you specifically want the 49mm filter size version.

Here's some good info. on the celtic ones:

http://minolta.rokkor.de/celticlenses.htm#Celtic 135 mm 2.8
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    TY sir, you are correct on the 49m filter.

I should add that both pentax and olympus have 135 f/3.5s which are similar in size and weight, so they might be a good choice if you already have one adapter or the other.

titoun

Hi everybody,

I see that you discuss about the Minolta 135mm f/3.5 MD, and you qualified it as one of the the best telephoto deal there is for the nex.

I'm gonna recover a MD TELE ROKKOR MINOLTA 1:2.8 135mm from my father, would like to know how good is this lense ? I also gonna recover a SOLIGOR WIDE-AUTO 2.8 28mm, how good is this one?

Other lense i tested with my sony NEX-3:
    - Super Takumar 55mm f2 -> love it! the boked is really smooth (gonna post some picture as soon as possible)

- Carl Zeiss Jena 1,8 50mm M42 -> i received it three days ago from ebay, i just took some shoots quickly, seems nice .

thx !

Post Thanks / Like

In testing at f/5.6 against the well-regarded oly 135 f/2.8 the little minolta 135 f/3.5 is at least as sharp.

a sample:

you be the judge.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok one more from the little minolta:

titoun

Thx, look really good, I'm looking forward to test it !

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Leica-R 35/2 v2; 60/2.8, 80/1.4; 180/2.8 v2

I have been using these a week now on Novoflex adapter - NEX-5 and I'm happy with the whole bag. The 60 will usually stay home but at the cost/quality ratio I'm hanging on to it for the odd macro and the prospect of bolting it as my walkabout if and when I have a FF. I briefly had an 50/2-R, excellent of course and a real bargain but I'd still be choosing the 60 most of the time.

An 80 from today at f5.6. LR3 global adjustments only, then re-sized and output sharpened in PS.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems, that there will be sort of focus confirmation in manual focusing.
    I must admit, I was not expecting such firmware change

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firmw...or-nex-leaked/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That is going to be sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nex100 View Post
    21mm Contax G with Kipon adapter works well on the Nex giving it a equivalent fov of 32mm which is good for general photography. No smearing only color shifts when taking pictures of the sky (or light colored background) which can be fixed by corner fix and since it can batch process my photos i think it is ok.

I cut the little legs of these contax g lens (21mm & 28mm) which does nothing for photographs. I just have to put the lens upside down with their caps on. I've tried contax g lens 21mm, 28mm, 45mm and 90mm. I think all are great and they make a nice set on the Nex.
    I bought a Contax G 21 for use on my NEX, but can't get rid of the colourshift, much as I tried. I must have made 25 attempts at generating a "good" cornerfix profile. If you would be willing to send me yours, I would be soooo grateful, because this lens is exceptional IMHO
    Cheers
    Philippe

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my list of "good and bad":

- lenses that work correctly, irrespective of performance are

Sony 18-55. Nothing wrong with the kit zoom. Does everything at least as well as can be expected for this sort of lens. Recommended
    Sony 16mm f:2.8. I tried two copies, both of them so bad I chose the zoom even though I am a prime shooter. When I found them very soft even in the centre at f:8, I gave up. Though I know there are better copies out there, I am not the only to have be let down. Not recommended.
    Sony 18-200. Very good lens for this sort of spec. I could live with this sort of performance, except that the bulk/weight are not my cup of tea for my use of the nEX. If I want something big, I pull my 5D II. But, if you can live with the format, recommended.
    Zeiss ZM 35 f:2.8. Remarkable performance, especially for the money/size. Just needs slight PP to brig out all the detail, otherwise SOOC can look just a bit bland. Highly recommended.
    Zeiss ZM 50mm f:2.0. Remakable performance. A really excellent lens. Can't be too highly recommended on the NEX
    Contax C/Y 25mm f:2.8. Not so large as to dwarf the camera. No colourshift issues despite it being wide, as it is a DSLR lens. Very sharp SOOC. Colours a bit less rich and vibrant than I'd like. Recommended despite the caveats, because it is inexpensive, and there isn't much choice at that FL
    Contax 35-70 f:3.4. A bit strange to mount that large zoom on this small cam, but works very well indeed, indeed in close-up (macro) mode. Very good sharpness, colours and contrast. It is now no longer as cheap as it was, but is still very good value. Recommended

- lenses that don't work correctly SOOC, irrespective of performance

Contax G21. A heartbreaker. A prodigious lens, by the looks of what I am getting, but heavy colourshift that I was unable to Cornerfix my way out of. So good that I can't bring myself to selling it despite the fact that I can't use it.
    Contax G28. About as wide as can be in "workeable" rangefinder lenses for NEX. Mild colourshift that I can get rid of in Cornerfix. Performance is strong, but not as ttrong as the 21.
    ZM 25. Another fabulous lens, but marred y colourshift that I couldn't fix. Cindy, how do you do it?
    ZM 18. Another top Zeiss performer. And -you guessed it- colourshift
    Leica 24 Elmarit f:3.8. Briliant lens, with fantastic colours. Except where it colourshifts, of course

Post Thanks / Like

I think some lens just can't be corrected with Corner Fix. Its a good tool, up to a point, but it can only do so much. It was just like using some 21mm wides on my Leica, the in camera correct helped a great deal, but it never made things perfect.

A 21mm RF lens combined with a camera that doesn't even have any offset microlenses is just a really tough combination to try to correct. Retrofocus style lenses will work well, but the RF type of wides just get tougher the wider they get.

I think corner fix can help, and maybe give you some usable results, but I don't think your doing anything wrong.. I think your just running into the maximum it can correct things.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my Nex 5 on Friday.
    Upgraded to firmware 4 and then extensive testing of my Leica M lenses.

Summaron 35/2.8
    Wonderful little lens, tack sharp from wide open, infinity focus spot on:

Summicron 50/2 "close focus"
    Slightly less contrast but very sharp full open, biting sharpness and contrast as of f2.8, infinity focus spot on, heavy:

Elmarit 90/2.8 (M39 with Leitz M39 -> M-mount adapter)
    Low contrast (glow) and slightly less sharp full open, as of f4 tack sharp and good contrast, focusses slightly beyond infinity.

Elmar 90/4 (M39 with Leitz M39 -> M-mount adapter)
    The joker (almost forgot I had this one). At f4 only slightly behind Elmarit 90/2.8 @ f4 but only very slightly, as of f5.6 as good as the Elmarit, infinity focus spot on, very light and small (but not good looking).

I'll start posting examples in the "Fun with Nex" thread

Now I only need advice for a WA, I have a Minolta A-mount 20/2.8, should I get a LA-EA1 adapter or are there better options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny coincidence, pegelli -- I just got my Voightlander adapter to try out my two Leica M lenses (the same Summaron 35mm f2.8 and the Summicron 50mm DR) and my experiences mirror yours. Slightly decreased contrast on the DR but the out-of-focus quality is just lovely.

Also have been happy with my PenF 38mm f1.8 (much lighter as well).

Also thrilled with the easy of use with the new firmware.

jt

Post Thanks / Like

Yep JT, coincidence can cause anything to happen

I just ordered a Kipon OM to Nex adapter and am looking forward to that as well. Still have a Zuiko 85/2 that I'm very eager to test on the Nex. In my OM days it was one of my favourite lenses. Is the PenF mount the same as OM, and what adapter are you using?

Btw, my first pictures are up in the "fun" thread, I'm sure many more will follow
    Last edited by pegelli; 3rd July 2011 at 11:44. Reason: added one more sentence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my less expensive legacy lenses I have gone with the jinfinance adapters on Ebay, stumbled on a 40% off sale last week and picked up ones for my OM lens (100mm f/2.8), the PenF and my OLD 55mm Nikkor-P 55mm f3.5 macro.
    People seem quite happy with the Kipons.

My Summaron still has the goggle eyes - very amusing on the NEX!

The PenF is a different mount than the OM. I love the PenF on the NEX, looks like they were made for each other.

Brutal heat and humidity here in the NE will curtail my shooting today but I am looking forward to contributing soon!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    I've tested my CV 28mm F2 Ultron on an RJ adapter, manually focused to actual infinity, at f2-16. I've only checked the magnified corner views on the LCD, but so far I haven't seen any smearing. When I download the raw files I'll check them again in Bibble and try to post crops here.
    Adapted lenses gives me a nice kit with the 16mm pancake: 24-42 for two lens, add a 75 if I feel like it. And the whole thing is smaller and lighter than my RF kit ...
    Good to hear this. I'm using the Ricoh GXR rather than the NEX but the A12 sensor is the same format. The GXR's M-lens module will be out soon and I plan to get the Ultron 28/2 for similar reasons: a fast 40mm-ish lens is just about my favorite for general use. That and the Skopar 50 will net an excellent working pair, the A12 28mm camera module picks up the wide end, and I plan to add the 75/2.5 at some point for a little more reach.

Terrific to see such quality out of these small cameras. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, I've yet to hear of any rangefinder lens below 35mm not having at last some color shift in the corners. Any updates, Bruin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    My Summaron still has the goggle eyes - very amusing on the NEX!
    Pictures ?

Thanks for the info, I'll report back here when my Kipon OM adapter arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

The Kipon OM - E adapter arrived this week:

As you can see it has a little strud with tripod mount. It's well made, no complaints at all for ~40 GBP

Tested it with the following lenses:

Panagor 28/2
    Soft wide open, Sharp at f2.8, very sharp at f4 and smaller

Osawa 400/5.6 (bought 2nd hand for 40 $ about 15 yrs ago)
    Ok sharpness wide open, improves to good when stopping down
    For what I payed absolutely no complaints and very usable. Hand holdability marginal

Zuiko 50/1.8 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down
    Zuiko 85/2 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down, nice bokeh
    Zuiko 100/2.8 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down
    Zuiko 135/3.5 : very sharp from wide open, small pocket rocket

Watch the "fun with nex" thread for examples, allthough with the current weather here it might take a couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

SLR Magic 28mm f/2.8 lens Objektiv NEX-3 NEX-C3 E-mount

A bloke called trustkill, (sounds very sober and trustworthy?) is offering this for sale on the web. Weird ...... can't possibly be original?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Sony adapter and have found the 70-300 SSM works a treat on the NEX-5, autofocus as well. The 85mm F1.4 Zeiss works but as it does not have a built in motor, so manual only. I have not yet tried the 24-70mm F2.8 zeiss as it is too big to make sense.

The ideal lens would be a Sony Nex native design 35mm equivalent focla length. The 16mm (my copy) is sharp but too wide to be useful.

My main concern was to ensure I get some continued life from my A900 "legacy" lenses with the NEX-5 and that seems to be the case.

Howver 90% of the time the kit lens stays on the NEX-5 as it covers most bases.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Tried a Leica Summicron 90mm f:2.0. Very low contrast, sharpness is not its middle name stopped down, let alone wide open, but lovely colours and superb detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One 100mm lens that is not so big in size and work well with the NEX-C3

Here a picture with a Raynox M-150 in front of the lens for the macro.

Post Thanks / Like

CV 21/4 on Nex 5:

My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like

Osawa 135/2.8 (OM mount) on Nex 5:

Olympus 85/2 (OM) on Nex 5:

Post Thanks / Like

^^
    Here's how the Osawa 135/2.8 looks on the Nex:

Found another lens (in an enlarger) on my attic this morning

Looks cute on the Nex

And performance is pretty good (f4, so almost wide open)

a 1:1 crop of another shot (f3.5, so wide open):

Not bad for a lens from 1950, which design dates back to the 1920's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My list includes Leica Wide Tri-Elmar 16,18, 21. (You can read MR's comments on LuLa Nex7 review.) This lens does not have color shift on 5N. It is excellent, but spendy. I used NIK Color Efex Pro for the vintage color.
    [IMG]
    Route 66 Ruin, The Mother Road by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Leica 35 f/2 Summicron-M ASPH
    [IMG]
    Flood Gate Wheel at the Mill Pond by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Leica 5cm f/2 Summitar
    [IMG]
    Weeping Willow by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jupiter 3 5cm f/1.5 (optimized by Brian Sweeney)

Leica 90 f/2.8 Elmarit-M

Leica 135 f/2.8 Elmarit-M with eyes. Very big, but I have no problem carrying it around by the lens.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 12th December 2011 at 04:05.

Post Thanks / Like

In case someone chances upon this thread looking for the answers: on NEX-5N, which is better with wide angle lenses, the M-mount Voigtlander 15, Zeiss 21/2.8 and 21/4.5 still don't work too well. The 21/2.8 doesn't exhibit much of a colour cast but has mushy borders at infinity focus. Close focus these lenses are fine (rear element is far enough from the sensor plane, so that light doesn't hit the microlenses at angles that are too steep for them to handle).

Ron Scheffler discusses it here and I agree with his conclusions, generally:

» Sony NEX-5N with Voigtlander and Zeiss rangefinder lenses – part 1 – ultrawides - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

For wide-angle, Zeiss 18/4 is one option, as well as all the legacy SLR glass which should work just as it does on SLRs. It's the rangefinder glass that is sometimes problematic, especially the Biogon type designs.

Post Thanks / Like

The pen F 40 f1.4 works real good with the Nex 5n. One of the smallest lens in my collection of legacy len, and yet one of the fastest being 1.4. No vignetting, my copy is pin sharp at 1.4. Here a pic of the pen f setup

Image captured on a Nex 5 with Canon 50mm f1.2L, which too works well on NEX

Post Thanks / Like

compare Canon 50mm f1.2L vs Olympus Pen F 40mm f1.4 on nex

Both are very sharp wide open on the Nex 5N, "the good"

Advantages of the Canon, it is slightly greater apeture, and allows for Auto focus magnification aid when focus ring is turned manually plus works in shutter priority with Conurus smart adapter thanks to electronic communication between lens and NEX. "The bad" is the size and weight. Its very front heavy, and more than doubles the weight of the 5n.

Advantages to Olympus, its soo small, yet has a 1.4 maximum apeture. Not sure if there is any other branded legacy lens or Emount lens out there this small and yet has excellent maximum apeture.

Here is a picture comparing the Canon 50mm f1.2L against the Sony Emount 18-200 Lens

tigertimb

The little Pen F 40mm f1.4 is certainly my choice of walkaround lens on the 5N; so small that it easily fits in my jacket pocket.

There's a 42mm f1.2 too, but that is bigger and softer wide open and I took the attitude that if you're going to want to stop it down, then the f1.4 is a better choice anyway.

There's also a 38mm f1.8 which is a fraction smaller. A bit slower, but still good and a cheaper option if the 40mm f1.4 is too much (current £300+ on ebay)