The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

douglasf13

Adapted lenses gives me a nice kit with the 16mm pancake: 24-42 for two lens, add a 75 if I feel like it. And the whole thing is smaller and lighter than my RF kit :thumbup:
This is exactly the boat I'm in. A 24mm, ~50mm and a tele (around 75mm or so) is really all that I need for most things. Welcome.

douglasf13

Hi Bruin and Welcome
hi Terry - I hope you're having a grand time.

I've been playing with:

Leica:
16-18-21 tri-elmar
35 f1.4 asph lux (new version)
50 f1.4 asph lux
75 f2 asph cron
135 f1.8 Zeiss (A mount)
they all seem fine - even wide open
Wow, you mean you have the NEW 35 1.4 ASPH? You are living it up over there! :LOL:

roweraay

Wow, you mean you have the NEW 35 1.4 ASPH? You are living it up over there! :LOL:
I gave one look at the price of the LUXs (f/1.4), especially the newer ASPH versions and :eek: :eek: with even the used ones being well in the stratosphere.... then I looked at the CRONs (f/2s) and found the ASPH versions to be :eek: and finally found a used Ver.4 (Pre-ASPH) which was a lot more palatable. :cool:

The only question left is about the performance on the NEX. The others have seemingly only tested with the 35 CRON ASPH, which is a bit larger than my upcoming pre-ASPH CRON and so the performance with the pre-ASPH CRON is still up in the air.

The saving grace is that the CRON I am getting comes with a box and all accessories and is German built, which seems to hold its value better than the Canadian ones. So push comes to shove, and if the performance is not upto snuff, I will just sell it and go with the other proven alternatives.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I tested the Pen-F 20 f/3.5 and the 38 f/1.8. They both vignette wide open, but look good at other apertures with a tiny vignette tweak in LR3. The vignette wide open is an easy correction, too.

douglasf13

Roweraay, that Summicron is a great lens, and I doubt you'll regret getting the real deal. I nearly pulled the trigger on one of those, especially since I often use a Summicron 50 R on the A900, but I really wanted the f1.4. I have a pretty good feeling that your Summicron will be fine at the edges. In fact, our lenses aren't all that different in design, outside of the extra element in my CV 35 1.4.

nokton:

summicron:

jonoslack

I gave one look at the price of the LUXs (f/1.4), especially the newer ASPH versions and :eek: :eek: with even the used ones being well in the stratosphere.... then I looked at the CRONs (f/2s) and found the ASPH versions to be :eek: and finally found a used Ver.4 (Pre-ASPH) which was a lot more palatable. :cool:
Ah yes - the difference is that I bought it to go on my M9, and so the NEX is just a sideline.

arri

Schneider Cine Macro Tele Xenar 75mm F2.8
An excellent lens on every digital camera
Here I used F2.8 at closed focus 1:2

roweraay

In fact, our lenses aren't all that different in design, outside of the extra element in my CV 35 1.4.
Yeah, it does look almost the same....maybe the extra element is an additional correction for something, to take it to f/1.4. I am hopeful it will work out just fine - we'll see.

Did you get your Metabones adapter yet ? Mine is on the way but has not got to me yet. My new 35/2 will get to me next Tuesday.

douglasf13

I haven't received the adapter yet. I hope it arrives before the camera does, or that'll drive me nuts! I can't wait to see shots from that Summicron. It should be wonderful, and it'll probably make me regret I went with the cheapie Nokton. :)

roweraay

I haven't received the adapter yet. I hope it arrives before the camera does, or that'll drive me nuts! I can't wait to see shots from that Summicron. It should be wonderful, and it'll probably make me regret I went with the cheapie Nokton. :)
To be quite honest, I would not have minded having an addition $1K in my pocket for other things (by opting for the CV 35 over the Cron)....especially since it has now been proven that the CV 35 is a good performer on the NEX with no smearing etc. I am a guy who want to get things done as in-expensively as possible, as long as there are no imaging compromises.

But if the Cron is truly a good performer, then I will be a happy camper, regardless.

I will be sure to post pictures with it, when I get it. If it does not perform well, then off it goes.:(

douglasf13

I just got my A-mount to E-mount adapter today...and still no camera! It looks like I'm going to have some fun with my m42 lenses on NEX. I have this cool little Schneider C-Curtagon 35mm 2.8 that probably isn't that much bigger than the ZM 35/2, and that's including the LEA-1 adapter! I'm also anxious to try my SMC Takumar 5/1.4, Leica Summicron R 50, and Zeiss Jena 135/3.5. I already know how they'll perform, since they are SLR lenses and I have an A700 lying around, but I'm anxious to get a sense of the handling. Actually I'm just hoping I'm okay with the size, because I'm not dying to buy more M lenses. :)

monza

My tests will be:

40/2.8 Rollei Sonnar (LTM) --- this is a super tiny lens, should be a nice match for the size of the NEX.

50/1.5 Zeiss Opton Sonnar (vintage Contax RF) --- probably my favorite lens, will require multiple adapters

100/2.8 Leica R APO Macro --- need to find a Leica R adapter with a tripod mount.

roweraay

.. because I'm not dying to buy more M lenses. :)
:LOL: Agreed. But I think as long as you stay away from brand-new ones, and if you are willing to consider non-Leica alternatives, you get some top-notch ones pretty in-expensively. The advantage of the RF lenses is the size...the SLR lenses simply don't compare.

douglasf13

:LOL: Agreed. But I think as long as you stay away from brand-new ones, and if you are willing to consider non-Leica alternatives, you get some top-notch ones pretty in-expensively. The advantage of the RF lenses is the size...the SLR lenses simply don't compare.
Yeah, I have to ignore the stares from that little ZM 50 1.5 on B&H. :D Actually, once I have to bring more than one lens with me, I'm not sure that I'm THAT concerned with size. I don't mind the size of my Summicron R 50 for a tele lens from the looks of things, but we'll see.

I really hope this doesn't all unravel into me wanting an M9 again. I nearly sold all of my Alpha gear for one last winter!

jonoslack

Yeah, I have to ignore the stares from that little ZM 50 1.5 on B&H. :D
That's a lovely lens - tricky on an M9 because of the focus shift, but of course that won't matter on the NEX
Dreamy at f1.5 - razor sharp by f4 . . . . what else could one want? (actually, what one might want is one's son not to have gone off with it to use on their Pen!)

I really hope this doesn't all unravel into me wanting an M9 again. I nearly sold all of my Alpha gear for one last winter!
:ROTFL: A900 and M9 go very nicely together, but I agree, not a one or other situation.

It seems to me Douglas that you are in a dangerous place here - I hope you're partner is keen on photo expenditure :eek::rolleyes::)

pellicule

Yeah, I have to ignore the stares from that little ZM 50 1.5 on B&H. :D Actually, once I have to bring more than one lens with me, I'm not sure that I'm THAT concerned with size. I don't mind the size of my Summicron R 50 for a tele lens from the looks of things, but we'll see.

They told me that once you have a Leica there is no going back. I sold it and regret every second. But alas the M9 is beyond my funds.
So a word from the wise - don't go there - I still wake up from dreams where I've been searching for my camera http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I tested the Pen-F 20 f/3.5 and the 38 f/1.8. They both vignette wide open, but look good at other apertures with a tiny vignette tweak in LR3. The vignette wide open is an easy correction, too.
Thanks, Cindy. This is most useful as I'm still trying to decide whether or not to join the NEX team. Although there's strong interest amongst forum members in using M-mount lenses on the NEX cameras, the 0.7 meter minimum focusing distance is a deal-breaker for me -- I gave up trying to use M lenses on m4/3 for that reason. The Pen F lenses offer an alternative but now I'm thinking that I might be better off using a small, fast 28mm SLR lens on the NEX...