The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Can't take this shot with an M lens, as it won't focus close enough...35/2 Planar.
I have Zeiss 25, 35 and 50 ZM lenses, but the Contax G 35/45/90 lenses are the ones on my NEX. The 35 Contax G Planar balances so well on the NEX, but the close focus distance is the real winner.:thumbs:

monza

Cindy do you use the 45 much? I haven't tried it yet as I think I prefer the ~50mm equivalent better.

Now, need to devise a focus scale... ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
so how precise and smooth is manual focus through the adapter on 35mm planar?
I have the Kipon adapter and it is very smooth and precise. I did get a bad adapter the first time. It had rough spots in the focus ring. It was replaced.

Robert, I prefer the 35mm on the NEX because it is wider. I generally just keep the 45mm on the Contax G2. All three of my Contax G lenses (35, 45, 90) are stellar lenses.

chiquita

Looking for a nice lens for my NEX5. Has anyone used the Nikkor 24 or 28mm f2.8 AIS and if so, could you please post some examples? Would it work with the NEX/NIKON adapter that I already have (tried the 35mm 1.8DX but obviously not a manual lens!) Thanks.

monza

I don't have any examples on NEX, but I'm a big fan of the 24/2.8 Nikkor AIS. When I had my D300, it was my most used lens...I suspect the performance on the NEX will be excellent, I plan to pick up another one of these soon...

M

meilicke

I unexpectedly won a contax 90 g on eBay :D, and do not have an adapter. I see the common one to choose is the kipon. Are there other worthy adapters? The kipon seems a little pricey.

Thanks!

Someone mentioned kipon contax G to nex adaptors cheaper in the US, but did not give a link. I see those on amazon, but am not sure they are the kipon adapter, which I have and really like.

M

meilicke

Someone mentioned kipon contax G to nex adaptors cheaper in the US, but did not give a link. I see those on amazon, but am not sure they are the kipon adapter, which I have and really like.
I found one on eBay that was not advertised as a kipon, but had "kipon" on the adapter in the picture. It was 90 vs 130+.

douglasf13

Did anyone here try a Pentax 50mm?
The Pentax lenses, being SLR lenses with long registration distances, behave as well on NEX as any other APS-C camera. I am currently trying to decide which I like better, my SMC Tak 50/1.4 or my Voigtlander 50/1.5. The Pentax has the advantage of a closer minimum focus, and the Voigtlander has the advantage of a smaller size.

H

hardloaf

Looking for a nice lens for my NEX5. Has anyone used the Nikkor 24 or 28mm f2.8 AIS and if so, could you please post some examples? Would it work with the NEX/NIKON adapter that I already have (tried the 35mm 1.8DX but obviously not a manual lens!) Thanks.
I have very positive experience with Nikkor 20/2.8 AIS. Works very well on NEX, size with adapter is not too big and it's lightweight. Here is one sample and all other wide angle shots in that stream are also made with this lens.

Amatieris

what is the last word concerning contax g 21mm biogon? can it be adapted on NEX? some people claim they use them. Do they require some surgery - removal of the protective fins?

Martin S

Any observations on what the widest angle lens can be used on the NEX-5 without edge smearing, or a color cast. I saw the Zeiss 25 mm ZM at the NY Photo Expo and it would certainly appear to provide a useful field of view (37 mm effective fie of view).

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Jim DE

Martin, Legacy rangefinder lenses 35mm seems to be as wide as you can go without smearing or color shifts. Adapted SLR lenses you can go as wide as you can afford (no issue with them at all)

Amatieris, As far as the 21mm Contax G lens on the NEX my position has been plainly stated several times:

1. It will not mount without interference with the inside camera housing with a Kipon adapter (first hand experience as I own a 21 and REALLY wanted it to work as good as it does on my Contax G2).

2. From the pics I have seen from those using the 21mm Contax G on the NEX (obviously they trimmed the lens fins to mount it) the IQ results are so poor at various focus points and apertures that IMO there is no reason to alter my fantastic 21mm lens when used on the Contax G2 to accomplish such poor results with smearing and horrible color shifts by using it on the NEX.

Others can do as they wish ....... I'll keep my 21mm uncut and mounted on my Contax G2