The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

K

koji

Amatieris,

I just bought it at eBay, so do not have a link now. As long as it is made by Kipon,
you will be ok, since NEX3/5 have larger openings you do not have to cut the legs
(rear protector fins).

Jerry_R

I thought someone here tested a micro 4/3 lens on the nex. Can it cover the nex sensor?
EVEN if it doesn't cover full NEX sensor - there is a chance, that covered part (I think not smaller than native u43 one) will bring better IQ than u43 sensor.

Only you need to take care in post processing (RAW) for removing distortions and aberrations - which are automatically removed in u43 world (by supported RAW software, eg. LR, ACR, Aperture as I know too).

PS: I have sent query to eBay seller for more details. Will post answer when receive it.

monza

That Voigtlander lens could be pretty interesting if it covers the sensor, as it's a manual aperture...hmm...

sebboh

That Voigtlander lens could be pretty interesting if it covers the sensor, as it's a manual aperture...hmm...
yep, i would definitely buy that. here is a shot with the regular 4/3 50mm f/2:

i was just holding the lens up to the camera using an FD to NEX adapter as a spacer, but vignetting doesn't look bad at all. hopefully, the voigtlander lens will have a similar image circle. the autofocus µ4/3 lenses won't be much use since they are all focus by wire, but if you have both systems this would be a good way to not need doubles of all your adapters.

Jerry_R

PS: I have sent query to eBay seller for more details. Will post answer when receive it.
Q: Hello! Are u43 lenses enough big to cover NEX APS-C sensor? Do you have any sample images with this combination?

A: Dear sir, I have not test more lenses. This adapter is for some M4/3 adapter and lenses been modified to M4/3 mount that user do not need buy or modified again to E mount.

skinnypix

I found the GetDPIforums while researching what new camera to purchase – this forum is really great!

I'm a hobbyist who particularly likes taking panoramic photos. I just sold all my film gear (medium-format Noblex, 35mm Roundshot, & Imacon scanner) to "force" myself to make the full digital transition. (I’ve had point & shoot digitals for some time now, but I don’t count those.)

One thing that’s important to me for my new equipment is size & weight. (My wife & I travel a lot – we’ll be going to Vietnam & Cambodia in February.) I’ll be stitching my images together, & image sharpness is important for me as well. I understand I may have to make some compromises...like I can’t bring myself to justify an M9 though it meets size, weight, image quality, etc.

The NEX looks intriguing to me; small, & with a great-dynamic-range sensor…but darn, I wish it had EVF & in-camera image stabilization like the EP2, & of course, better glass!
I’m also looking at the new Sony A55 which has attractive features, but at the expense of size & weight.

I have some questions about alternative manually-operated lenses for the NEX, but before I ask them, I’m wading through the 1000+ posts in the “Fun with the NEX…” as well as other threads. In the mean time, I thought I'd introduce myself now, & come back after I’m done wading.

Thanks for the forum!

--Alan

fotografz

I found the GetDPIforums while researching what new camera to purchase – this forum is really great!

I'm a hobbyist who particularly likes taking panoramic photos. I just sold all my film gear (medium-format Noblex, 35mm Roundshot, & Imacon scanner) to "force" myself to make the full digital transition. (I’ve had point & shoot digitals for some time now, but I don’t count those.)

One thing that’s important to me for my new equipment is size & weight. (My wife & I travel a lot – we’ll be going to Vietnam & Cambodia in February.) I’ll be stitching my images together, & image sharpness is important for me as well. I understand I may have to make some compromises...like I can’t bring myself to justify an M9 though it meets size, weight, image quality, etc.

The NEX looks intriguing to me; small, & with a great-dynamic-range sensor…but darn, I wish it had EVF & in-camera image stabilization like the EP2, & of course, better glass!
I’m also looking at the new Sony A55 which has attractive features, but at the expense of size & weight.

I have some questions about alternative manually-operated lenses for the NEX, but before I ask them, I’m wading through the 1000+ posts in the “Fun with the NEX…” as well as other threads. In the mean time, I thought I'd introduce myself now, & come back after I’m done wading.

Thanks for the forum!

--Alan
Welcome Alan!

I'll answer a few of your questions before you even ask them ... :ROTFL:

I use a NEX as a second camera to a Leica M9 ... so use an adapter for M lenses. That was my answer to "better glass". There are a number of less expensive alternatives that also provide the answer.

The NEX or A55 will NOT give you the image quality for panoramics that you were getting from the equipment you listed above. Easier? Yes, by far. Better or even equal IQ? No.
I use Leica M ASPH lenses on a NEX and can't get the pano feature to work with an adapter and M manual focus lenses ... it aborts the process almost immediately. I'm going to try and experiment more with this to see if it can be done.

RE: Size weight for travel. I also have the A55. For travel of the type you mention, I'd select the A55 over the NEX ... or use the NEX as a back-up. Exclusively using only a LCD for composition (or manual focusing), in certain lighting conditions can be difficult.

I'm sure you will have a lot more questions, but that's a start.

-Marc

Terry

Marc - what focal length lens were you trying that kept cutting out? I know the Sony tends to like wides better for the panos and particularly doesn't like when there are objects in the foreground with the main subject further away. I've got an M-adapter and will try to use the pano function but I'm pretty sure I had done some successfully with the Contax G 35mm.

Terry

Alan -
Welcome to the forum. I'm hoping what you are looking for is the next NEX to be released. E mount (to be able to use rangefinder lenses) with a built in EVF.

I have been successful using the panorama with Contax G 28mm, but as Terry said, have difficulties when some objects are closer to the camera and when I pan fast or too slow.
I am in search of an affordable macro lens to use in different sorts of museums in Europe this summer and wonder what people would suggest to shoot things both large and small in tight places.
At the moment the Sigma 24mm Super Wide II 2.8 appears to fit the bill since it does pretty well in available light and macros to 1:4. (And it runs around 50$) Here are two photos for download, one with the Sigma of a section of a postcard at 1:4 and the other of the same postcard with a Contax G 28mm at its closest point-----a wider view. Of course the Sigma is large on a Nex. Is there something else in the rangefinder size that would allow me to get close but also be wide enough for close quarters?
Sigma 24mm:
http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8t87ZTA0OT
Contax G 28mm:
http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8t89MTRiYW

fotografz

Marc - what focal length lens were you trying that kept cutting out? I know the Sony tends to like wides better for the panos and particularly doesn't like when there are objects in the foreground with the main subject further away. I've got an M-adapter and will try to use the pano function but I'm pretty sure I had done some successfully with the Contax G 35mm.
Right you are. It was a Leica M75/1.4, in low light. I just used a M/28/2 in brighter light and it was fine. In that bight beach light, the LCD was absolutely useless.

I see the NEX as a nifty tool with M lenses in regular or low light.

-Marc

skinnypix

If you are having trouble with the wider-angle lenses (particularly in the foregrounds) using the Sweep Panorama mode of the camera, it's probably because in "sweeping" the camera, you are way off rotating about the nodal point. As a first-order test, place your camera on a tripod & try Sweep Panorama by spinning the camera while on the tripod. It's still off the nodal point, but likely much closer than a hand-held "sweep."

--Alan

skinnypix

I just got my latest imaging-resource.com (IR) digital photography newsletter. This issue was their "gift guide" issue in advance of Black Friday. In the optics section---

.......Luke chimed in on some mirrorless lenses he favors:

- Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&N=0&Q=&Ntt=+voigtlander+2.5+35mm&A=endecaSearch) -- Luke uses this on his Sony NEX-3. "It's very small and light, and works well with the NEX. It's beautifully made and looks nice on the camera, too." $339

- Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361537-REG/Zeiss_1365_651_21mm_f_2_8_ZM_Lens.html) -- Luke thought this worked well on the NEX, too, with a Leica mount, but noted, "There are problems with most small rangefinder lenses wider than 35mm causing a color shift in the corners of the NEX frame. Leica ran into the same problem with their first digital cameras, and had to implement in-camera processing to correct it. It is supposedly related to the short distance and acute angles between the rear of the lens and the sensor. The Zeiss ZM 21mm f4.5 (a more compact lens) has the problem; the f2.8 version does not (or it is negligible)." $1,340

uhoh7

This is a very nice thread and there are many like it on all the forums. What we do not have is a database which reviews lenses that can be controlled directly by the nex.

This is only possible through the LAEA-1 alpha adapter. Sony has a list of THEIR lenses which now support both aperture and AF control in various degrees of usablity.

However what about third party alpha lenses?

We are attempting to gather a list here:
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4708

Some sigma HSM II lenses will AF with the LAEA1(firmware v2), but only a few have been tested.

Even without AF, it is very useful to know which third party alphas can be aperture controled by the nex via LAEA1

e.g. the fantastic sigma 8-16mm (the answer seems to be yes for aperture).
or the various tokinas.

If you have tested any third party alphas, please let us know.

Just received my NOVOFLEX adapter....
I thought I should share this one with you.
Leica Noctilux f/.95 with the NEX-5.

Crazy combo :cool:
I will try to post some picture taken with this combo later.

Stay tuned

ampguy

I am having great fun with the Leica pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4, and LTM lenses: Jupiter 3 50/1.5, CV 21/4, and Canon 28/2.8. Will be trying other lenses as well. The 16/2.8 has great AF, but is kind of a specialty ultra wide prime, good for landscapes and close ups. I didn't get the kit zoom, as the images I've seen with it have a bit more distortion that I like. However, it is good to know it is image stabilized.