The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

JCT

Funny coincidence, pegelli -- I just got my Voightlander adapter to try out my two Leica M lenses (the same Summaron 35mm f2.8 and the Summicron 50mm DR) and my experiences mirror yours. Slightly decreased contrast on the DR but the out-of-focus quality is just lovely.

Also have been happy with my PenF 38mm f1.8 (much lighter as well).

Also thrilled with the easy of use with the new firmware.

jt

pegelli

Yep JT, coincidence can cause anything to happen:thumbup:

I just ordered a Kipon OM to Nex adapter and am looking forward to that as well. Still have a Zuiko 85/2 that I'm very eager to test on the Nex. In my OM days it was one of my favourite lenses. Is the PenF mount the same as OM, and what adapter are you using?

Btw, my first pictures are up in the "fun" thread, I'm sure many more will follow :toocool:

Last edited:

JCT

For my less expensive legacy lenses I have gone with the jinfinance adapters on Ebay, stumbled on a 40% off sale last week and picked up ones for my OM lens (100mm f/2.8), the PenF and my OLD 55mm Nikkor-P 55mm f3.5 macro.
People seem quite happy with the Kipons.

My Summaron still has the goggle eyes - very amusing on the NEX!

The PenF is a different mount than the OM. I love the PenF on the NEX, looks like they were made for each other.

Brutal heat and humidity here in the NE will curtail my shooting today but I am looking forward to contributing soon!

Godfrey

I've tested my CV 28mm F2 Ultron on an RJ adapter, manually focused to actual infinity, at f2-16. I've only checked the magnified corner views on the LCD, but so far I haven't seen any smearing. When I download the raw files I'll check them again in Bibble and try to post crops here.
Adapted lenses gives me a nice kit with the 16mm pancake: 24-42 for two lens, add a 75 if I feel like it. And the whole thing is smaller and lighter than my RF kit ...
Good to hear this. I'm using the Ricoh GXR rather than the NEX but the A12 sensor is the same format. The GXR's M-lens module will be out soon and I plan to get the Ultron 28/2 for similar reasons: a fast 40mm-ish lens is just about my favorite for general use. That and the Skopar 50 will net an excellent working pair, the A12 28mm camera module picks up the wide end, and I plan to add the 75/2.5 at some point for a little more reach.

Terrific to see such quality out of these small cameras. :)

douglasf13

Hmm, I've yet to hear of any rangefinder lens below 35mm not having at last some color shift in the corners. Any updates, Bruin?

pegelli

The Kipon OM - E adapter arrived this week:

As you can see it has a little strud with tripod mount. It's well made, no complaints at all for ~40 GBP

Tested it with the following lenses:

Panagor 28/2
Soft wide open, Sharp at f2.8, very sharp at f4 and smaller

Osawa 400/5.6 (bought 2nd hand for 40 $ about 15 yrs ago)
Ok sharpness wide open, improves to good when stopping down
For what I payed absolutely no complaints and very usable. Hand holdability marginal

Zuiko 50/1.8 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down
Zuiko 85/2 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down, nice bokeh
Zuiko 100/2.8 : sharp wide open, very sharp from one stop down
Zuiko 135/3.5 : very sharp from wide open, small pocket rocket

Watch the "fun with nex" thread for examples, allthough with the current weather here it might take a couple of days.

Pat Donnelly

SLR Magic 28mm f/2.8 lens Objektiv NEX-3 NEX-C3 E-mount

A bloke called trustkill, (sounds very sober and trustworthy?) is offering this for sale on the web. Weird ...... can't possibly be original?

Quentin_Bargate

I have the Sony adapter and have found the 70-300 SSM works a treat on the NEX-5, autofocus as well. The 85mm F1.4 Zeiss works but as it does not have a built in motor, so manual only. I have not yet tried the 24-70mm F2.8 zeiss as it is too big to make sense.

The ideal lens would be a Sony Nex native design 35mm equivalent focla length. The 16mm (my copy) is sharp but too wide to be useful.

My main concern was to ensure I get some continued life from my A900 "legacy" lenses with the NEX-5 and that seems to be the case.

Howver 90% of the time the kit lens stays on the NEX-5 as it covers most bases.

Quentin

philber

Tried a Leica Summicron 90mm f:2.0. Very low contrast, sharpness is not its middle name stopped down, let alone wide open, but lovely colours and superb detail

PenSon

One 100mm lens that is not so big in size and work well with the NEX-C3

Here a picture with a Raynox M-150 in front of the lens for the macro.

pegelli

^^
Here's how the Osawa 135/2.8 looks on the Nex:

Found another lens (in an enlarger) on my attic this morning

Looks cute on the Nex

And performance is pretty good (f4, so almost wide open)

a 1:1 crop of another shot (f3.5, so wide open):

Not bad for a lens from 1950, which design dates back to the 1920's

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My list includes Leica Wide Tri-Elmar 16,18, 21. (You can read MR's comments on LuLa Nex7 review.) This lens does not have color shift on 5N. It is excellent, but spendy. I used NIK Color Efex Pro for the vintage color.
[/url]
Route 66 Ruin, The Mother Road by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Leica 35 f/2 Summicron-M ASPH
[/url]
Flood Gate Wheel at the Mill Pond by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]
Leica 5cm f/2 Summitar
[/url]
Weeping Willow by cindyflood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jupiter 3 5cm f/1.5 (optimized by Brian Sweeney)

Leica 90 f/2.8 Elmarit-M

Leica 135 f/2.8 Elmarit-M with eyes. Very big, but I have no problem carrying it around by the lens.

Last edited:

DanielT74

In case someone chances upon this thread looking for the answers: on NEX-5N, which is better with wide angle lenses, the M-mount Voigtlander 15, Zeiss 21/2.8 and 21/4.5 still don't work too well. The 21/2.8 doesn't exhibit much of a colour cast but has mushy borders at infinity focus. Close focus these lenses are fine (rear element is far enough from the sensor plane, so that light doesn't hit the microlenses at angles that are too steep for them to handle).

Ron Scheffler discusses it here and I agree with his conclusions, generally:

» Sony NEX-5N with Voigtlander and Zeiss rangefinder lenses – part 1 – ultrawides - TechTalk with Ron Scheffler

For wide-angle, Zeiss 18/4 is one option, as well as all the legacy SLR glass which should work just as it does on SLRs. It's the rangefinder glass that is sometimes problematic, especially the Biogon type designs.

mazor

The pen F 40 f1.4 works real good with the Nex 5n. One of the smallest lens in my collection of legacy len, and yet one of the fastest being 1.4. No vignetting, my copy is pin sharp at 1.4. Here a pic of the pen f setup

Image captured on a Nex 5 with Canon 50mm f1.2L, which too works well on NEX

mazor

compare Canon 50mm f1.2L vs Olympus Pen F 40mm f1.4 on nex

Both are very sharp wide open on the Nex 5N, "the good"

Advantages of the Canon, it is slightly greater apeture, and allows for Auto focus magnification aid when focus ring is turned manually plus works in shutter priority with Conurus smart adapter thanks to electronic communication between lens and NEX. "The bad" is the size and weight. Its very front heavy, and more than doubles the weight of the 5n.

Advantages to Olympus, its soo small, yet has a 1.4 maximum apeture. Not sure if there is any other branded legacy lens or Emount lens out there this small and yet has excellent maximum apeture.

Here is a picture comparing the Canon 50mm f1.2L against the Sony Emount 18-200 Lens

T

tigertimb

The little Pen F 40mm f1.4 is certainly my choice of walkaround lens on the 5N; so small that it easily fits in my jacket pocket.

There's a 42mm f1.2 too, but that is bigger and softer wide open and I took the attitude that if you're going to want to stop it down, then the f1.4 is a better choice anyway.

There's also a 38mm f1.8 which is a fraction smaller. A bit slower, but still good and a cheaper option if the 40mm f1.4 is too much (current £300+ on ebay)