Site Sponsors

Thread: RAW - M adapter - zoom review problem

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RAW - M adapter - zoom review problem

Hi There
    I've been shooting RAW on the NEX 5 with no issues. Yesterday my nice little Kipon adapter arrived. Last night I shot a couple of dozen shots with various leica lenses . . . . I did notice that in zooming in, (enlarge button) one often got psychedelic colours . . . this morning when I looked the pictures were gone!

Okay, maybe bad SD card, so I reformat a different one, shoot 20 or 30 shots with kit lens - all good. Do some test shots with the 35 'lux .. same psychedelic enlarge colours (although no missing files this time). Interestingly if there is a bad enlarge, then this may happen with pictures taken with the Sony lenses after. They all seem fine when downloaded to Aperture.

So - has anyone else seen this weird behaviour when shooting RAW with an M adapter fitted? . . . . or is it my camera?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RAW - M adapter - zoom review problem

My adapter is currently on the way from Hong Kong so cannot test till it gets here. The problem certainly sounds really un-usual.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    more testing suggests it's only with the Kipon adapter - I've been having a lot of fun with the Sony adapter and the 135 f1.8 zeiss (looks silly but works great), but without the issue

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know, I actually read something about this a while back and forgot about. I'll have to see if I can find the link. Maybe your M9s feel threatened and are sabotaging your new little toy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    more testing suggests it's only with the Kipon adapter - I've been having a lot of fun with the Sony adapter and the 135 f1.8 zeiss (looks silly but works great), but without the issue
    Yeah, but the Sony adapter allows back and forth communication between the camera and the lens, since it has electronics in it and thus the camera is able to specifically recognize A-mount lenses (albeit without AF for now). Lenses like the CZ135, CZ85, CZ16-35 etc are A-mount lenses which should be getting fully recognizable electronic signals from the camera, where the E-mount protocol is translated into the A-mount's protocol and vice-versa.

These other adapters are simple mechanical couplings that allow the mounting of 3rd party lenses. Even so, I am still surprised at what you are encountering and would chalk it down as an aberration.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

like Douglas, I think I've read about this earlier on, maybe a few weeks ago. I'll try and find it. Were you shooting RAW + JPG? Did you connect the SD card to your Mac and see that it was empty in the Finder, or did you use A3 import? It might 'just' be the JPGs. Do you perhaps have DRO on the NEX enabled?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I believe that this happens when you have an adapted lens on the camera shooting RAW and HDR/DRO is not set to off. It was happening to me. I changed cards/reformatted...still happened. Then I changed that setting and it went away.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might have found the answer over at the Dark Side

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...8&changemode=1

There seems to be a 'bug' when shooting with adaptors other than Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    I think I might have found the answer over at the Dark Side

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...8&changemode=1

There seems to be a 'bug' when shooting with adaptors other than Sony.
    Okay, so the message I got from that thread is to switch off DRO, when using 3rd party lenses. I have never used DRO in my A900 and will switch off the DRO in the NEX5 also, right away !

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, This happened to me with the exception of the lost images ..... the enlarge button issue on RAW with DRO on has been discussed but I still get a huge color shift to green even with DRO off shooting RAW at times. There is definitely a bug there somewhere. I just have grown to accept the post process zoom view issue with the 3rd party lenses and work through it. If I had lost my pics I would of been ticked.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You Lot Are So Fab
    Cindy - Ray - Peter.

So now I'll switch DRO off.

as for the missed files . . . I'm rather embarrassed, it seems I downloaded them to my ipad very late last night, and must have erased the card by mistake, so the pictures aren't lost after all

Thanks again - I'll check and report back.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You Lot Are So Fab
    Cindy - Ray - Peter.

So now I'll switch DRO off.

as for the missed files . . . I'm rather embarrassed, it seems I downloaded them to my ipad very late last night, and must have erased the card by mistake, so the pictures aren't lost after all

Thanks again - I'll check and report back.

all the best
    Sounds like too much wine was involved

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Sounds like too much wine was involved

Well, actually, you're right. Silas and I had been to Aberdeen for a business trip (rather successful) we flew back early evening and had a couple of drinks on the way, then it turned into a late night and I was fiddling about with the ipad and the pictures (the clue was actually your reply to the pics I sent you!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you didn't lose the files due to a camera malfunction .......

Post Thanks / Like

good info thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    good info thanks.
    Agreed ! I would have been merrily clicking away when I get my Summicron, without switching off DRO/HDR, if I had not known about this foible and would have been ticked at the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, it's a good idea to always turn off DRO while shooting RAW-only with any Sony camera. Even though it doesn't directly affect RAW output, it boosts the jpeg preview on the camera's LCD screen, which can lead you to believe you've exposed correctly. Then, when you get your file into the RAW converter, your shots may sometimes be underexposed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Agreed ! I would have been merrily clicking away when I get my Summicron, without switching off DRO/HDR, if I had not known about this foible and would have been ticked at the results.
    You would have realized there was a problem as soon as you zoomed in on your photos to check focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Jono, This happened to me with the exception of the lost images ..... the enlarge button issue on RAW with DRO on has been discussed but I still get a huge color shift to green even with DRO off shooting RAW at times. There is definitely a bug there somewhere. I just have grown to accept the post process zoom view issue with the 3rd party lenses and work through it. If I had lost my pics I would of been ticked.
    i noticed this green shift a few days ago too. i figured the camera just doesn't properly create jpeg previews when you shoot only raw. guess if i ever shot with a sony lens i would have noticed that it worked for them. oh well, hopefully they'll fix this with a firmware update soon. in the mean time i've just been shooting raw + jpeg so i can see the previews (plenty of space on the memory card for the amount of time i have to shoot these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    You would have realized there was a problem as soon as you zoomed in on your photos to check focus.
    Agreed. And I would have started another whole new thread about the "horrendous" RAWs from the NEX5, when shooting with non-Alpha lenses.

I have been shooting a bit with the CZ135/1.8 and the CZ85/1.4 - both A-mount primes - the results were just sublime ! These lenses are just amazing - even wide open - on the challenging territory of the A900 and thus the results were certainly not surprising on the NEX. The A-mount adapter however, is a bit wonky (over an inch thick, since it is a dSLR lens !) and thus the combo, even with a small 50mm prime, looks bulky.....and hence my search for RF lenses with their slimmer adapters and smaller/lighter lenses !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    (plenty of space on the memory card for the amount of time i have to shoot these days.
    I bought a 64GB SDXS card, since the primary purpose of the NEX (for me) was to shoot HD video. When this large 14MP of resolution is crunched down to an HD-sized image (1920x1080), the results just don't fail to be impressive....especially when coming from such a relatively larger sensor.

The A900 is amazing for stills ! Pictures shot with the CZ135/1.8 Sonnar etc., even when enlarged to 24"x36" inches, retain fine detail (coupled with the A900's native exceptional ability with colors) even when viewed from inches away. Priceless !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    FWIW, it's a good idea to always turn off DRO while shooting RAW-only with any Sony camera. Even though it doesn't directly affect RAW output, it boosts the jpeg preview on the camera's LCD screen, which can lead you to believe you've exposed correctly. Then, when you get your file into the RAW converter, your shots may sometimes be underexposed.
    Other than fiddling with DRO for a few minutes when I first got the camera (A900) nearly 2 years back, I have always kept it firmly switched off, since I did not want any effect from such DRO type stuff to be impacting my priceless RAW files. Will do the same with the NEX too.

Post Thanks / Like

Does DRO even work in RAW? Sony seems to switch off RAW for many of the modes.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, DRO does not work in RAW. I had my camera set to DRO and Fine (jpeg). When I was done shooting DRO, I went to the Menu/Image size, and changed to RAW and did not change DRO. I knew that DRO did not work in RAW, so now I am in RAW...didn't think I needed to change DRO...it should be disabled. I took the photo and when I went to zoom in to look at it , I was faced with the strange rendering. I took another shot and found the same thing. Then I re-formatted the card and tried again. No go. I switched cards. No go. Then I started looking at my settings and saw that DRO was still enabled. I turned that off and the problem was solved!

Basically, if you are shooting RAW you can not turn on DRO. If you have DRO enabled, you can turn on RAW...that causes the "problem" to manifest itself.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 12th August 2010 at 19:40.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Basically, if you are shooting RAW you can not turn on DRO. If you have DRO enabled, you can turn on RAW...that causes the "problem" to manifest itself.
    Well, I'm still getting the issue - even with DRO firmly off, and shooting RAW only - mostly just a green cast, and it doesn't affect the RAW files, but it's not completely gone away. A bug that needs fixing, but at least this thread has taught me that it isn't a camera which needs fixing!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Agreed. And I would have started another whole new thread about the "horrendous" RAWs from the NEX5, when shooting with non-Alpha lenses.

I have been shooting a bit with the CZ135/1.8 and the CZ85/1.4 - both A-mount primes - the results were just sublime !
    I was having a go with the CZ135/1.8 yesterday as well - it's great (and actually handles quite well with it's relatively short focus throw).

I don't have the 85 . . . don't tempt me!
    Still, it's sure nice with a 75 'cron.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I was having a go with the CZ135/1.8 yesterday as well - it's great (and actually handles quite well with it's relatively short focus throw).

I don't have the 85 . . . don't tempt me!
    Still, it's sure nice with a 75 'cron.
    Yeah, the cz85 Planar is nearly as good optically, as the cz135 Sonnar, and since it is a shorter FL, I believe pairs better with the 1.5x crop of the NEX, for more everyday situations. It works really well on the A900 too, for indoor pictures (in particular), where space is at a premium - the images just stand out, when compared to pictures taken with even the best of zooms - corner to corner, on the A900.

Another advantage of the CZ85 is that it is a lot smaller than the 135. Smaller and noticeably lighter (even though unlike the 135, it does extend when focusing).

I once took a group shot (over a 100 people) with the A900+CZ85 and the output - processed via DXO from RAW - was just stunning. STUNNING ! (pardon my shouting but I get a bit carried away, when describing optical brilliance )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm still getting the issue - even with DRO firmly off, and shooting RAW only - mostly just a green cast, and it doesn't affect the RAW files, but it's not completely gone away. A bug that needs fixing, but at least this thread has taught me that it isn't a camera which needs fixing!
    Yes, I'm still getting the green cast, but you can at least judge sharpness. With the "wood grain" look, it was impossible to judge sharpness.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, Jono...... are you both getting the green cast 100% of the time or is it a random issue. Mine is random .... sometimes it's green cast sometimes it's fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe in order to avoid the issue the NEX must shoot RAW+JPEG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,
    I shoot raw when I'm not shooting HDR/DRO or panorama. I am seeing the green problem randomly. I really haven't tried to figure out the sequence of events that triggers it, because it isn't that annoying to me. I only use the review to check the histo and sharpness, not color. I'm not dismissing the bug, I'd like to see it fixed, but it isn't stopping me from taking photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Cindy same here.... random issue that I just work through when it happens. No biggy