The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few snaps from India

V

Vivek

We juts got back after a whirlwind 3 week visit to S.India [Chennai (formerly Madras) and Bangaluru (Bangalore)].

I was quite enthusiastic to use the NEX-5 and a few lenses I had with me. I did take a few pictures with it. Here are some shots here from the streets of Chennai from the first 2 days there. It was quite overcast at that time and it was easy to use the cam. Then the skies opened up and without an EVF, the NEX-5 became a special purpose camera (for shadow light, night shots and indoor shooting only).

Once I found how good my hacked G1 was, I shot almost all the photos in IR and with that Panasonic G1 and the kit lens 20/1.7. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

One of the few with the kit 16/2.8.

pen F 40/1.4, Delivery boy with a huge stack of boxes for 22K gold jewelry.

pen F 38/2.8. "Unlimited" internet (500 kbps speed for home use ;) ).

pen F 40/1.4, Cow, though holy, many roam around everywhere and prefer to eat paper from garbage.

pen F 38/2.8, Body shop. Improvisation at a new level.

pen F 38/2.8, Young woman going for a grocery purchase.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Thanks!:)

Too short a visit. :( We were in the monsoon shadow region. So, no heavy downpours.

This one was from the last night (NEX-5, pen F 40/1.4 at ISO6400).

An Auto-Rickshaw driver counting his cash.

V

Vivek

That was a lucky grab, Jonathon (shutter 1/6s!). The original output had ~20% extra saturation, other than that it is as captured.

The high ISO performance is certainly good (shame there is no EVF and the cam is part blind). Here is another one (higher shutter speed) with the same 40/1.4.

and this one with the kit lens 16/2.8 wide open (ISO6400, 1/25s).

Chennai Museum, larger than life size portraits of former colonial time governors.

V

Vivek

Nice shots, Vivek. Is the "sunny" LCD setting not working for you?

Thanks, Douglas. :)

Nope, it did not do much in India.:( Imagine 5X California summer Suns.

Also, the half tilt LCD is only of limited use, not only for viewing but also in terms of ergonomics- holding the cam steady. All this is in my hands, of course.

V

Vivek

Nice real world use, Vivek. Your photos show what this camera can do.
Hi Cindy, Thanks for your flattering :)o)and kind words!:)

One other use (I did not exploit it much, unfortunately) I found was for macros and close-ups where more light or high ISO capability is a welcome feature.

Here is an example (These are unknown to me. About ~1/5X the size of a cockroach)

NEX-5, Olympus pen F 40/1.4, Leitz Macrotar VIb, stopped down (~f/5.6?), ISO3200, 1/1000s (needed that as the insects moved around fairly quickly).

I am totally amazed at how clean a ISO3200 image came out of the NEX-5. It is way better than what I could get out of my Nikon D300.

Thanks again, Cindy!:)

V

Vivek

Terry, My G1 is hardware hacked. I removed the UV/IR/AA filter. I used it exclusively for IR though. DR range and the resolution of the Pana 20/1.7 are simply superb besides the G1 being an excellent versatile camera.