The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Magnified MF on the NEX-5

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I'm thinking about getting an NEX-5 but, since the Sony E-mount lenses are of no interest to me and there are not yet any Zeiss E-mount lenses, I'd sell the kit lens and use MF lenses until an appealing Zeiss lens is released.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how easy it is to use MF lenses on the NEX-5. I use the Panasonic G1's magnify feature all the time and am wondering if the NEX-5 is similar. I downloaded the NEX-5 manual and note that there's a Release w/o Lens setting which I imagine must be enabled in order to shoot with legacy lenses. But the manual it isn't much help in explaining how the soft keys might be used to implement the magnify feature. All the manual says is:
The soft keys have different roles, depending on the context.The assigned role (function) of each soft key is shown on the screen. To use the function shown at the upper right corner of the screen, press soft key A. To use the function shown at the lower right corner of the screen, press soft key B. To use the function shown at the center, press the center of the control wheel (soft key C).

I seem to recall reading somewhere that one has to press the bottom soft key (B) to trigger the magnified view -- is this correct?

In addition to wondering how it works, I'd also like to know how well it works. If the consensus is that it's as good as the Panasonic implementation, I'll probably buy an adapter and test the NEX-5/adapter/lens combo in a store before committing to a purchase.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jonathan, The bottom soft key is labeled MF Assist. One press gives 7x magnification. The arrow keys can now be used to move the focus point. If you require more detail, then press the MF Assist button again, and you get 14x. A half press of the shutter button takes you back to standard view for last minute tweaking of the framing. Take the shot!
One improvement that Sony could make is to leave the focus point where you put it. Now you have to reposition it after each shot.
I have had G1 (still do), GF1, EP1 and EPL1 and I am happy with this implementation by Sony. The LCD is very good. I hope that they give us an EVF soon (and IS) and then things would be perfect.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathan, The bottom soft key is labeled MF Assist. One press gives 7x magnification. The arrow keys can now be used to move the focus point. If you require more detail, then press the MF Assist button again, and you get 14x. A half press of the shutter button takes you back to standard view for last minute tweaking of the framing. Take the shot!
One improvement that Sony could make is to leave the focus point where you put it. Now you have to reposition it after each shot.
I have had G1 (still do), GF1, EP1 and EPL1 and I am happy with this implementation by Sony. The LCD is very good. I hope that they give us an EVF soon (and IS) and then things would be perfect.
Cindy, thank you, that sounds as though it should be fine. I've ordered a Minolta MC/MD to NEX adapter.