Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

:sleep006::sleep006::sleep006::sleep006:

Well, I've just spent a boring hour shooting a brick wall with the NEX on a tripod with various lenses:

Kit Lens at equivalent focal lengths (i.e. 18,24,28,35,55)
    Leica 28mm f2 summicron ASPH
    Leica 35mm f1.4 summicron ASPH (new version)
    Leica 35mm f2.5 summarit ASPH
    Leica 50mm f1.4 summilux ASPH

each tested at:
    1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 (or starting at widest aperture)

Whilst I was about it I stuck the X1 and the M9 (with the 35 'lux and 50 'lux) on the tripod and banged away a few more shots.

I've been peering at the results, and I've come to the following conclusions:

1. all those Leica lenses are fine on the NEX - right to the corners - at all apertures. They do lose a little wide open, but neither vignetting or smearing seem to be a real issue.
    2. the 35 'lux is better than the 35 summarit towards the edges and corners at all apertures (more so wide open)
    3. the kit lens really does quite well comparison (distortion and CA is an issue of course). If you don't want the speed of the leica lenses, then with this test the Kit lens is really almost as good at the centre as equivalent apertures as the leica lenses costing 10 times as much. Corners are less good, but still mostly acceptable
    4. the 24mm lens on the X1 is marginally better than the 28 'cron on the NEX at equivalent apertures. (unfortunately I didn't have a 24 leica lens to
    5. If you're wondering how the NEX compares with the M9 with equivalent lenses, then you can stop wondering - It's like a different world!

OF COURSE
    brick wall tests tell you little about the drawing of the lens or how things look in real shots, added to which, in lots of situations some softness in the corners doesn't much matter anyway.

I was doing these for my own enlightenment, and I have come to some conclusions . . . .

1. I'm only going to use Leica lenses on the NEX in low light situations where using the LCD is more discreet than the M9 (i.e. when having a camera at one's eye is more obvious than the clatter of the NEX shutter).
    (worth noting that I shot 100 snaps last night with the 35 'lux at f1.4 and the NEX at a party - it worked really well, good focus hit rate, good colour and low noise at ISO 1600)

2. If I want a little package with a fixed lens then I'll probably use the X1 rather than the NEX and the Leica summarit.

3. I'll use the NEX kit lens with even more confidence.

4. I'll use the M9 if I'm really keen on detail and definition (or the A900 of course)

But, basically, all of these combinations produce decent results - no great surprises for me I think.

For What It's Worth.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

Thanks Jono, good to know all this.

For now I am sticking with the A900 and your rather fine old M8u.

However, I am keeping up with what everyone is saying about the brave new world of NEX.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all of the info, Jono. I'm interested in knowing more about the difference between the M9 and NEX files. Is it mostly a detail thing? Also, were the brick wall shots at infinity (where smearing tends to show up?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Thanks for all of the info, Jono. I'm interested in knowing more about the difference between the M9 and NEX files. Is it mostly a detail thing? Also, were the brick wall shots at infinity (where smearing tends to show up?)
    Hi Douglas
    Not at infinity - around 2 - 2.5 metres, so maybe they're not that relevant.

At base ISO the difference between the two is pretty much what you'd expect by going from 12mp - 18mp without having smaller photosites, and by removing the AA filter and adding angled microlenses (i.e. significant). It would probably reduce above around 1000 ISO, but I haven't tried that.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the test. Do you have other less expensive RF lens for similar test?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aleksanderpolo View Post
    Thanks so much for the test. Do you have other less expensive RF lens for similar test?
    Sorry, no. I might be able to wrench a Zeiss 50 f1.5 from my son- but I'm sure that would be okay anyway.

To be honest I'm not terribly convinced of the benefits of using expensive RF lenses on the NEX unless you already have them and you DONT have an M9.

I think that if I didn't have an M9 and I was looking to use M lenses on my NEX I'd mostly be looking at interesting secondhand lenses. Or more likely still the lovely Contax G lenses

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those lovely Contax lenses are a treasure trove (oops, did I just drive up the prices?)
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your testing, Jono. Provided some new perspectives on this raging issue !

Just a minor point: When you referred to a "Leica 35mm f1.4 summicron ASPH (new version)", you meant to state "Summilux", I presume ? The "Summicron" term refers to f/2 lenses, while the "elmarit" refers to f/2.8 and "Summilux" refers to f/1.4 lenses, right ?

Been updating myself on some of these Leica terminologies, during my recent RF lens research.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks - do you have the 16mm pancake to test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have an M9, but I do have an M8u and a bunch of M lenses. My choice for my NEX is the Contax Zeiss G lenses. My advice to those who don't already have M lenses and are looking for nice lenses for the NEX is to look to the Contax G lenses. I have 35 f/2, 45 f/2 and 90 f/2.8. I plan to use them with my Sony 16 f/2.8 as my NEX kit. The Contax G lenses are very sharp, have nice bokeh and are a nice shape and weight for pairing with the NEX. The close focus distance for the 35 and 45 is .5 meters which is closer than my M lenses. The Pen-F lenses are a good fit for NEX, too, but they have become very hard to find. If you happen to have them, give them a try. They won't disappoint.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post

Just a minor point: When you referred to a "Leica 35mm f1.4 summicron ASPH (new version)", you meant to state "Summilux", I presume ?
    AbsolutelyMy Brian seems to be collapsing

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I don't have an M9, but I do have an M8u and a bunch of M lenses. My choice for my NEX is the Contax Zeiss G lenses. My advice to those who don't already have M lenses and are looking for nice lenses for the NEX is to look to the Contax G lenses. I have 35 f/2, 45 f/2 and 90 f/2.8. I plan to use them with my Sony 16 f/2.8 as my NEX kit. The Contax G lenses are very sharp, have nice bokeh and are a nice shape and weight for pairing with the NEX. The close focus distance for the 35 and 45 is .5 meters which is closer than my M lenses. The Pen-F lenses are a good fit for NEX, too, but they have become very hard to find. If you happen to have them, give them a try. They won't disappoint.
    Hi Cindy
    I couldn't agree more; the combination of the small size and close focusing seems to me to be a no brainer. Added to which they're still so much cheaper than M lenses. I wish I hadn't sold mine two years ago

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    AbsolutelyMy Brian seems to be collapsing
    Just for the records, I did not prompt you to do the brick wall tests this time.

(Someone wanted brick wall tests of Olympus pen F lenses.....as you pointed out Jono, it is clear that you do not entertain requests.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Just for the records, I did not prompt you to do the brick wall tests this time.
    You are, of course, entirely innocent . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    (Someone wanted brick wall tests of Olympus pen F lenses.....as you pointed out Jono, it is clear that you do not entertain requests.)
    . . . but I haven't got any pen F lenses.

Actually, you have to understand that my whole existence depends on a cascade of 'displacement activity', meaning that the jobs I don't enjoy only get done if there is something even LESS attractive that I OUGHT to be doing.
    This means that Brick Wall tests are a long way down the pecking order.

In Fact, Saturday afternoon I did Brick Wall Tests, AND I mowed the lawn - this was because I should have been writing a workshop manual

So, it's nothing to do with not entertaining requests, just a function of my simplistic prioritisation

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

My advice to those who don't already have M lenses and are looking for nice lenses for the NEX is to look to the Contax G lenses. I have 35 f/2, 45 f/2 and 90 f/2.8. I plan to use them with my Sony 16 f/2.8 as my NEX kit. The Contax G lenses are very sharp, have nice bokeh and are a nice shape and weight for pairing with the NEX. The close focus distance for the 35 and 45 is .5 meters which is closer than my M lenses. The Pen-F lenses are a good fit for NEX, too, but they have become very hard to find. If you happen to have them, give them a try. They won't disappoint.
    Thanks for your perspective, Cindy. My original "concern" with the Contax G (which was what led me to the M 'cron) was the diminishing pool of available candidates, when it comes to lens selections, since these have been out of production for a while, right ?

Unlike say the Leica M, where there are in-current-production options all the way from CV, to Zeiss ZM to Leica (and even older options like Minolta M-rokkor) and so on.....a larger pool of candidates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for your perspective, Cindy. My original "concern" with the Contax G (which was what led me to the M 'cron) was the diminishing pool of available candidates, when it comes to lens selections, since these have been out of production for a while, right ?

Unlike say the Leica M, where there are in-current-production options all the way from CV, to Zeiss ZM to Leica (and even older options like Minolta M-rokkor) and so on.....a larger pool of candidates.
    They have been out of production, but my set of 3 (bought separately), looks like new. My glass is perfect. Terry told me that her 35 and 45 looked like they had never been used. Contax G lenses do seem to be disappearing fast from the usual places, like the excellent Pen-F lenses did, but they are still there if you want them.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 16th August 2010 at 06:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Any chance you could post a portrait shot taken with the 35 'Lux wide open on the NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    It would probably reduce above around 1000 ISO, but I haven't tried that.
    Since the M9 uses a CCD sensor (unlike the CMOS equipped NEX), I would presume its strengths all lie at the lower ISOs.

CCDs, due to their inability to accomodate on-sensor secondary circuitry (unlike CMOS sensors), lose steam as the ISOs climb, and I would presume the NEX5 would be the better performer at the higher ISOs.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy.... From my experience with the Contax G system much was written on the 35mm F2 lens being the weakest IQ in the series. I still use my G2 and never carried the 35 in my kit. I would carry the 21 (IMO best in class), the 28, the 45, and the 90mm using the Contax G2. I have always liked this system for color positive work.

Have you noticed how the prices are rising esp on the 35mm f2? I see the 90 mm going for $500+ now as well. 18 months ago you could get either for $200 or slightly more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2 weeks ago, keh had a couple of 90mm Contax Gs for well under $200. I went to buy one, and they were both gone.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, a few months ago the 90mm were $100 at B&H in 9+ condition.

The 35/2 being the weakest IQ speaks loads for how spectacular all the others are. The 35/2 is a superb lens, it's supposed lack of IQ is an internet myth.

Post Thanks / Like

monza, my experience with the 35 f2 on my Contax G2 backed up that myth. Of all my lenses it was the worst. The 21 is exceptional, the 28 and 45 are superb. the 90 was great except on some rare occasions focus got sketchy on the G2 with it. The 35mm F2 I used maybe 6-8 times and set it aside as its perspective was only 7mm above my 28 and 10mm below my 45 and its IQ was no where near the other two's IQ IMO. Now I can't even find it to try on my NEX Pretty sure it is in a storage area in the midwest.

It could of been just my 35mm f2 with my Contax G2 but I arrived at my conclusions on it way before I ever read a thing on it from others on the net. There could very well be some great 35 f2's out there .... mine was not one of them.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose there are always sample variations. I've been very very pleased with G lenses, after owning them a few times going back to the mid 90s, on G1s and G2s. The 35 was never produced in the same quantities as the others, coming out after the 28/45/90. Not surprising it's getting difficult to find, as on the NEX its a really good option for ~50mm equivalent.

As for use on the NEX, there really are no finer adapted lens options, as long as one is happy with f/2, or 2.8 on the 90.

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, I luv them on my NEX 5. I am even using the 28mm though it does smear wide open and at infinity. I work around that with smaller apertures or framing shots before it needs a infinity focus setting. Even at infinity at full size smearing is just about gone at 5.6 and what little is there can be taken care of with a sharpening brush. Above 5.6 no smearing issues at all at infinity. I like the 42mm perspective it give's me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like KEH might have gotten a few more in. If you are looking for them, I would keep checking back.
    I think you can still find them if you do a little sleuthing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, KEH has at least one 35 now...probably won't last thru the night.

Jim, that's great on the 28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anybody tried the Contax G 35-70mm Vario-Sonnar zoom?

Post Thanks / Like

Engel, not me ..... I would if I had one but that lense never really interested me due to it's speed. I hear for a zoom it was a good lens but I have never used one. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been out of production, but my set of 3 (bought separately), looks like new. My glass is perfect. Terry told me that her 35 and 45 looked like they had never been used. Contax G lenses do seem to be disappearing fast from the usual places, like the excellent Pen-F lenses did, but they are still there if you want them.
    Okay, so I splurged a bit.

I just saw an EX+ 21mm Contax G (with finder) come up on KEH (was not there even yesterday night) and placed an order for it right away. 21mm gets really close to the 35mm FOV that I had really wanted all along. Of course I won't be needing the add-on finder of the 21mm, on the NEX.

If the Contax G works out well on the NEX, then I will sell off the Leica Summicron 35/2 (which I am supposed to receive sometime today). Now I need a Contax G adapter. I believe Monza had linked up a site that sells the adapter, which I need to look up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool, I can't wait to hear how the 21mm performs. Be sure and be careful about the rear element shroud touching the camera near the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I can't wait to hear how the 21mm performs. Be sure and be careful about the rear element shroud touching the camera near the sensor.
    Okay, I will keep an eye open for the rear element shroud.

I got my Summicron 35/2 around a 1/2 hour back. The lens, a late pre-ASPH German built black version, also called the "Bokeh king", is in excellent condition and came with the hood, Leica retail box, front/rear caps etc but I don't have the adapter (yet) to try it out on the NEX. Hopefully it will get here soon.

It will be either this 35/2 or the Contax G 21, that I will be using on the NEX and depending on the one I will be sticking with, the other will have to go. We'll see.

I now need to buy an adapter for the Contax G. Seems like Kipon is the adapter that is most readily found, and the eBay stores that have it, charge well over $100 for it and it comes from Hong Kong or China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really hoping that 21mm performs nicely, as it would fill a much needed gap for a ~35mm equivalent. Enjoy your new (to you) Leica. That lens is a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Contax G adapter. Pretty pricey in comparison to the M adapters, probably because it also has a focusing ring on the adapter (?).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Contax-G...item483b27567b

Several of the adapters only indicated compatibility with the 28, 35, 45 and 90mm lenses but this one specifically mentioned the 21mm too and there is also a picture with the 21mm mounted. So I flipped the switch on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really hoping that 21mm performs nicely, as it would fill a much needed gap for a ~35mm equivalent. Enjoy your new (to you) Leica. That lens is a beauty.
    Yup, keeping my fingers crossed on this. The 21mm was significantly pricier than the rest of the G lenses, probably because of the extra finder. I truly hope it performs well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link (someone from dpreview pointed me to it) with some full-size pictures taken with the NEX5 and Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...18_387505.html

There are picture links within and if you click on them, they will open a new window with the full-size image. Clearly, there is a bit of color shift but otherwise seems to perform well, right from wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a link (someone from dpreview pointed me to it) with some full-size pictures taken with the NEX5 and Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...18_387505.html

There are picture links within and if you click on them, they will open a new window with the full-size image. Clearly, there is a bit of color shift but otherwise seems to perform well, right from wide open.
    I would be happy with it for black and white, but I find the color shift a PITA. It seems like more color shift on the right side of the frame, which is what I saw when I tested my Zeiss 25 f/2.8 M Biogon. That color shift was work to correct. We would need something like Cornerfix profiles to make the workflow easier.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay, I own the 21mm Contax G lens and with the Kipon adapter I experienced installation interference 1-1.5mm before the lens and adapter became fully seated into the camera's mounting plate (One could force it together but I didn't). I went no further with the installation as it did slightly scuff the blackout. I would highly recommend NOT using this lens on the NEX 5. I have seen pictures of them mounted and even that site now tells its customers NOT to use the 21mm lens with the adapter even though their advertising states otherwise for that store. I luv the 21mm and really wanted to use it but I don't. Others can do as they want but my experience say's it is a "no go". Take it for what it's worth!

roweraay, check the question and answer section for that China stores site on the Kipon adapter for the Contax G to NEX.... you will see they changed their tune.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 18th August 2010 at 12:10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    roweraay, check the question and answer section for that China stores site on the Kipon adapter for the Contax G to NEX.... you will see they changed their tune.
    Jim, thanks for your perspective on this.

Yes, I specifically emailed him about that answer in the Q&A section and he clarified that the adapter does work with the 21mm now.

The following was my question:
    ------------------
    Hi, in response to a question on whether the adapter is compatible with the 21mm and 16mm, you stated that it is only compatible with 28mm, 35mm, 45mm etc but you have a picture listed with the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon mounted. I have a 21mm Biogon on the way, and just wanted to confirm if it would work with this adapter, before ordering. Thanks.
    ------------------

His emailed answer was:
    -----------------------
    21mm lens is ok, but 16mm lens can't mount on camera body. Thank you!
    -----------------------

The only question in my mind is, have they made any mods to the adapter, since it was originally developed, which in turn now allows them to state that it also works with the 21mm ?

Either way, if it does not fit into the NEX5 with the adapter smoothly, then I will have to let the lens go. I will absolutely not be making any kind of physical mods on the lens, nor will I try to force it in, in any way. We'll see.
    Last edited by roweraay; 18th August 2010 at 13:42.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy with it for black and white, but I find the color shift a PITA. It seems like more color shift on the right side of the frame, which is what I saw when I tested my Zeiss 25 f/2.8 M Biogon. That color shift was work to correct. We would need something like Cornerfix profiles to make the workflow easier.
    Based on a posting on dpr, there is a cornerfix profile for this combo, supposedly. The guy who pointed me to this site with the sample pictures, was the one who stated that. I will of course have to dig into this a bit, after receiving the lens. Of course I am not going to force the lens into the adapter/camera and will only use it, if it fits in cleanly.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay, I bought from the same site for the same reason and then it did have one question as to the 21mm and he assured the OP that it worked. I right now have them in hand and the same results are there..... interference 1-1.5mm before the adapter seats. I guess if I wound the focus wheel out with the lens attached to make the lens like it is focusing at a foot it could install but going to infinity focus would definitely have interference with the blacked out area within the perimeter of the lens mounting area. it does not hit the sensor from what I can see. I, like you, refuse to make adaptations to my 21mm because I value it too much as a lens on my Contax G2. IMO it is the best lens of all the Contax G series lenses and I still use it 75% of the time on my Contax.

For me it stays with my G2 and not on my NEX 5. I really wanted it to function with my NEX in the worst kind of way. Wish you the best of luck with yours if you decide to use it on your NEX.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay, I bought from the same site for the same reason and then it did have one question as to the 21mm and he assured the OP that it worked.
    Jim, just to confirm, you are referring to the below eBay site, right ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Contax-G...item483b27567b

Hell, if it does not fit smoothly, I very well might add a G2, to give the lens a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

The same site ..... Seller info breguetcamera

Excellent service and really fast delivery but they IMO were wrong on the 21. When I wrote them on the issue they said yes it doesn't mount right with the 21mm. No biggy in my case as I had plenty other G lenses to use. You only having the one???? Another story altogether....... It does work with the 28 (with slight smearing), 45, and 90, I can't find my 35 yet.

Post Thanks / Like

You only having the one???? Another story altogether....... It does work with the 28 (with slight smearing), 45, and 90, I can't find my 35 yet.
    Due to the APS-C crop of the NEX, the 35mm FL is borderline as far as I am concerned, for what I am looking for. The 45 and 90 are too long. The 21mm gets really close to my ideal (approximately 35mm FOV in 35mm terms) but if it has fitment issues, then I might have to re-think this RF lens thing altogether and just stick with the NEX5 kit lens and/or wait for those inevitable primes from Sony themselves.

PS: I already procured a 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron and awaiting the NEX-M-adapter. Hopefully that will work out okay and if so, then I might just stick with it, assuming there are fitment issues with the 21 Contax G Biogon.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, some "brick wall" tests from me....pretty excruciating, I can tell you that !

All pictures from our backyard.

Camera: NEX5
    Lens: Leica 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron
    EXIF: Should be intact and the Apertures are mentioned both on the Filenames and also in the brief descriptions below.

NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/2.0
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0054-f20.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/2.8
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0055-f28.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/4.0
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0056-f40.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/5.6
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0057-f56.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/8.0
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0058-f80.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Set 2 from the same Camera lens combo:

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0059-f20.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0060-f28.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0061-f40.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0062-f56.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0063-f80.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/11
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0064-f110.jpg
    NEX5 and 35/2 Pre-ASPH Summicron at f/16
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0065-f160.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Set 3 from the same Camera/lens combo:

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0066-f20.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0067-f28.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0068-f40.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0069-f56.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0070-f80.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0071-f110.jpg
    http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0072-f160.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Full-size images are viewable by clicking on the below links:

Set One (the “brickwalls”):

http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0054-f20.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0055-f28.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0056-f40.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0057-f56.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0058-f80.jpg

SET2:
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0059-f20.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0060-f28.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0061-f40.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0062-f56.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0063-f80.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0064-f110.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0065-f160.jpg

SET3:
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0066-f20.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0067-f28.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0068-f40.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0069-f56.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...SC0070-f80.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0071-f110.jpg
    http://s1026.photobucket.com/albums/...C0072-f160.jpg
    Last edited by roweraay; 21st August 2010 at 18:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Now what did I conclude from all of the "brickwall" and other testing ? I am now leaning towards selling off the 35/2 Summicron, even though it is a decent performer on the NEX (f/2 is great as long as subjects are in the center, f/2.8 is very usable for general shooting, and f/4 is good enough for pretty much anything).

When (it is only a matter of time) Sony adds a 21-24mm prime (maybe a Zeiss Biogon model), I will pick it up. Until then, the kit lenses will have to hold the fort, and overall they seem to be doing a decent enough job for the most part.

So I might be listing my 35/2 pre-ASPH German-built black Summicron for sale shortly. It of course comes with the box, case, front/rear caps and is otherwise in excellent condition. We'll see !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now what did I conclude from all of the "brickwall" and other testing ? I am now leaning towards selling off the 35/2 Summicron, even though it is a decent performer on the NEX (f/2 is great as long as subjects are in the center, f/2.8 is very usable for general shooting, and f/4 is good enough for pretty much anything).

When (it is only a matter of time) Sony adds a 21-24mm prime (maybe a Zeiss Biogon model), I will pick it up. Until then, the kit lenses will have to hold the fort, and overall they seem to be doing a decent enough job for the most part.

So I might be listing my 35/2 pre-ASPH German-built black Summicron for sale shortly. It of course comes with the box, case, front/rear caps and is otherwise in excellent condition. We'll see !
    I'm using my 35 summicron ASPH right now on my NEX because my Contax to NEX adapter had to be sent back to China. When the adapter comes back, I will go back to the Contax G 35 f/2. I like the ergonomics and IQ better on the NEX. My advice (if you don't have a Leica to put the cron on) is to sell the cron, buy the Contax G and bank $1000+ toward future purchases.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice (if you don't have a Leica to put the cron on) is to sell the cron, buy the Contax G and bank $1000+ toward future purchases.
    Exactly what I am thinking. The Cron gets the job done (overall great performance and excellent drawing style with well saturated colors, even though not very flare resistant), but my thinking is, if it is not sharp corner-to-corner at f/2, then why pay the big bucks for it ?

I am perfectly fine with stopping down as needed, but for a $1400 used lens, I expected much more. Since similar (or better) performance can be obtained from other alternatives (including used versions of the 35/2 ZM and 35/2.8 ZM and the Contax 35/2), for a fraction of the pre-ASPH Cron's cost, the Cron has got to go.