Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    No matter how large the view Terry? I usually don't go over 8x10 or on screen views in presentations. You would think "ghosting" would kill IQ 100% of the time. Kinda like a very bad lens filters effect on film.

Thanks for the heads up Terry .... I read it but really only half understood.

My hope is someone on this site has gotten a a33 and has some feedback.
    You can download full sized sample jpegs and there are some raws at DPReview and have a look.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw some movies recorded with A55.
    I can't imagine using AF only on maximum aperture...

Is it the only way of using AF?

Post Thanks / Like

Played with a a33 at sony style tonight ...... big mistake! Now, I am really impatient for the a55 to be introduced. Hope it is Oct 1st and not Oct 31st

Almost walked out with the a33 and kit lens until I took a step back and said you don't need the lens and you want the a55 more so wait dummy!!!

I'm sold on this camera now......

Post Thanks / Like

I've sworn to myself that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment for a long time. And in all reality I've been true to myself, no cameras or lenses for over 18 months now.

Heck I've even resisted the NEX with all you guys showing excellent results from it.

But there comes a time when a line needs to be drawn, purely for video capability, you understand what I mean!. (self justification)

Since this camera was muted, I've been dreaming of adding video capture as another medium to record with my equipment without having to add too much extra.

So I've convinced myself this A55 is the way to go and as soon as it's released over here I'll be searching out the best deal and making the addition. I'm a bit miffed that AF only works with my SSM lenses given my two favorites 85 & 135 are not SSM.

Looking forward to playing with this soon, unless there is a rumor of a full frame Sony before the release date.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I've sworn to myself that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment for a long time. And in all reality I've been true to myself, no cameras or lenses for over 18 months now.

Heck I've even resisted the NEX with all you guys showing excellent results from it.
    I wish I could say the same - I've been a bad boy with small cameras, but it's ended up with my A900 and M9 doing all the work. (m4/3 and nex have been sold off).
    The A55 really seems like a no-brainer for me - with a sony/zeiss 18-60 stuck on it most of the time, and access to the A900 lenses the rest.

If one could get one!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if someone made an adapter for my 4/3s lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I'm a bit miffed that AF only works with my SSM lenses given my two favorites 85 & 135 are not SSM. .
    The AF works will ALL A-mount lenses, including 20-year old lenses. This is not an E-mount camera.

So you could be shooting video, with Phase-Detect AF and all, with a cheap little Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Your 85 and 135 ZA lenses should not have any problem whatsoever when it comes to AF with the A55.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post
    Now if someone made an adapter for my 4/3s lenses?
    Your 4/3s lenses are built around a sensor that is 60% smaller than the 1.5x APS-C sensor that comes on the A55. So even if they built an adapter (highly unlikely), it simply will not be terribly useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the intro date will be 10/10/2010 in the USA for the a55

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    The AF works will ALL A-mount lenses, including 20-year old lenses. This is not an E-mount camera.

So you could be shooting video, with Phase-Detect AF and all, with a cheap little Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Your 85 and 135 ZA lenses should not have any problem whatsoever when it comes to AF with the A55.
    Ahh!, I was getting confused with the Nex5 adapter for ZA lenses. Even better, 1 more excuse to buy the A55 .

Thanks for the info.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Well I weighed "needs and wants" and went out and got a a33 body today. For how I shoot and what I need the a33 will do me just fine IMO. I know this sensor and am pleased with its results on my NEX5 so I decided to stick with it.

I don't burst shoot, need or want GPS, and 2mp is barely recognizable in 8x10 prints and under or web usage.

Now I just have to wait once again for RAW support on aperture or CS5

Did I say I was happy with my selection? I'm happy!!!!! And it is just a "3" designation camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went and play with the A33 at the SonyStyle store and it seems nice but a little larger still than I would like. For and SLR/T it is relatively small but the thickness overall is just a bit too much to carry conveniently. I will wait for the Fuji X100 or what ever may come down the road in the near future and keep using the NEX 5 in the meantime. I will probably keep it as my interchangeable lens camera as I really like the way the 40/2 paints images with it.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I went and play with the A33 at the SonyStyle store and it seems nice but a little larger still than I would like. For and SLR/T it is relatively small but the thickness overall is just a bit too much to carry conveniently. I will wait for the Fuji X100 or what ever may come down the road in the near future and keep using the NEX 5 in the meantime. I will probably keep it as my interchangeable lens camera as I really like the way the 40/2 paints images with it.
    Hi John
    Having spent a few hours with the A33, it seems like a real athlete in comparison with the NEX - really fast and accurate autofocus. Of course, it's no good as an interchangeable lens camera, and it is bigger, but from my point of view if it don't go in my pocket it's not all that relevant.

But my needs aren't the same - if I'm going to use fixed focal length glass with manual focus it goes on the M9. I want a decent zoom, and the Sony / zeiss 16-80 seems to fit the bill.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono, can you clarify what you mean by "it's no good as an interchangeable lens camera"?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Hi Jono, can you clarify what you mean by "it's no good as an interchangeable lens camera"?
    +1 please?
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Sorry chaps - someone asked me a question at the wrong moment:

It's no good as an interchangeable lens camera FOR M mount or other old mount manual focus lenses . . .

It makes a splendid interchangeable mount lens camera for A mount lenses!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are making my life more complicated.....need to sell stuff. Just need to figure out what to sell and what will be my small kit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    You are making my life more complicated.....need to sell stuff. Just need to figure out what to sell and what will be my small kit.
    Good - nobody needs a simple life :-)

I tell you what I think:
    If you want to use legacy lenses with manual focus, then either the NEX or m/43 is a no brainer.

If you want a small, quality, flexible system with a zoom . . . then the A33/55 is a no-brainer - especially if you already have Sony lenses (the little 24-105 works well if 35mm is as wide as you want).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned in the other thread, pairing the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which is smaller than even the 16-80, with the A33/55, is another option for a fairly compact combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew my head is spinning with all the this is better or worse post on the other forums on the a33/a55. They are pulling out calculators and formulas for this or that and the art of picture taking is lost

Jono, are you shooting your a33 in raw or jpg? I really hate the Sony Raw processing program and find it to be under powered and awkward to use but as of right now unless someone knows something I don't Aperture nor CS5 support the a33 format on my computer.

Been mostly pouring down rain here since I brought the a33 home so have not really gotten to see how it does outside much as yet. Thinking about a run down to the beach in the morning being as there is only a 10% chance of rain at sunrise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What are the raw files on the A33 called? Aren't they the same as the NEX 5? Maybe a little tweaking in the data can fool the software into thinking it is a NEX 5 raw file. Why oh why does a vendor do this on their own cameras (change RAW format)?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Barjohn, its .ARW like the NEX5 but every camera has its own specific logic. Neither Aperture nor CS5 recognizes the a33 raw files.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono ... nevermind I found a CS5 update for the a33/a55 RAW

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Your 4/3s lenses are built around a sensor that is 60% smaller than the 1.5x APS-C sensor that comes on the A55. So even if they built an adapter (highly unlikely), it simply will not be terribly useful.
    Allow me a small correction: The size of the 4/3s sensor is 60% of the APS-C sensor (not 60% smaller).

The ratio of the pure size differense is 3:5 (like in one field of 3 acres and another field of 5 acres).

Some think this size difference is big enough to be significant (provided ~ similar sensor quality).

Others think this size difference is so small that it's irrelevant (provided ~ similar sensor quality).

Luckily we all have a free choise between the two different sensor formats with their completely different aspect ratios

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Comparing sensor sizes is one thing but the question of coverage of lenses from 4/3rds to APS-C is entirely another.

None of the m4/3rds (OEM) lenses I have cover sufficient ground on the APS-C NEX sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Allow me a small correction: The size of the 4/3s sensor is 60% of the APS-C sensor (not 60% smaller).
    You are right. I should have modified my statement to say that the 1.5x APS-C sensor, is over 60% larger than the 4/3 sensor.

4/3 sensor area: 17.3x13 = 224.9 sq.mm

1.5x APS-C sensor area: 23.5x15.6 = 366.6 sq.mm

Difference: 141.7 sq.mm

141.7 is 63% of 224.9.

Thus the APS-C sensor is 63% larger than the 4/3 sensor, which, IMHO, is a significant enough size difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    None of the m4/3rds (OEM) lenses I have cover sufficient ground on the APS-C NEX sensor.
    True, since the NEX sensor is 63% larger than what the 4/3 lenses are designed to cover, there is a fairly large gap left to bridge.