The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I especially like the Translucent Mirror design of these cams. Finally the first vendor to introduce EVF in their DSLR models - this will be the future I guess if we all like it or not ;)

I am still missing a new FF DSLR from Sony with Exmor sensor.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very interesting design for effective video AF.

>Finally the first vendor to introduce EVF in their DSLR models - this will be the future I guess if we all like it or not

Right, if the resolution and frame rates are fine we will be ok with it.

dhsimmonds

Looking good!:) Can't wait for the A75 and A95, should be cracking cams....always assuming that this is Sony's future road map.

Sony are really going for it as the number of international patents posted by them indicate a really active future. They are deservedly following the Minolta pedigree of innovation IMHO.:D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks good, except no viewfinder with continuous shooting, which leaves 10fps rather meaningless for most applications (unless one wants a long sequence of photos with the subject almost in the frame :confused: ).

edwardkaraa

I hope the mirror could be locked up in future high end models to allow for manual focusing without the unnecessary light loss. This EVF will be great for mf.

V

Vivek

Really exciting developments! :thumbup:

I hope the EVF and the swivel LCD will be implemented in the next iterations of the NEX line.

BTW, does anyone use the Zeiss 24mm f/2? I can not find that listed anywhere here.

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

Looks good, except no viewfinder with continuous shooting, which leaves 10fps rather meaningless for most applications (unless one wants a long sequence of photos with the subject almost in the frame :confused: ).
Not sure how this one works but it seems the LCD still works only the EVF blacks out. I would think panning would be easier with the LCD, but anyway I have never shot faster than 1 fpm so what do I know :ROTFL:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Michael Reichmann's article is very interesting.

Not being familiar with Sony cameras, would my legacy lens collection I've amassed for my m4/3 system work with the A55 with appropriate adapters?

Keith

Terry

Michael Reichmann's article is very interesting.

Not being familiar with Sony cameras, would my legacy lens collection I've amassed for my m4/3 system work with the A55 with appropriate adapters?

Keith
It depends on what glass. The A55 is an A mount camera and not an E mount. That means that essentially non of the rangefinder lenses would work. because the mount is much further from the sensor than either M4/3 or the NEX. Old dslr lenses could potentially work but I wouldn't approach this camera in the same way you think of m4/3 or NEX but more in line with buying a regular dslr and the lens choices that go with that sort of decision.

douglasf13

m42 lenses are the easiest to adapt to Alpha. Contax CY and Leica R can be adapted through Leitax. Just about everything else require DIY mount removal or an adapter with a glass element in it (bad idea.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not sure how this one works but it seems the LCD still works only the EVF blacks out. I would think panning would be easier with the LCD, but anyway I have never shot faster than 1 fpm so what do I know :ROTFL:
I shoot motorsports regularly, and when panning at slow shutter speeds, you don't only need to keep the subject in the viewfinder, but at exactly the same place. I guess optical viewfinders still has a role to play :)

bradhusick

When shooting high speed, once you fill the buffer (20 RAWs - 2 seconds of shooting) it takes 50 seconds to recover! ouch. No sports here.

roweraay

When shooting high speed, once you fill the buffer (20 RAWs - 2 seconds of shooting) it takes 50 seconds to recover! ouch. No sports here.
I suspect the higher end products in the pipeline, will have far larger buffers and will be significantly more capable.

In Sony's lineup, these (the 3-series and the 5-series) are the equivalent of a Canon Rebel level product. The 7-series, the 8-series and the 9-series are the ones to look out for, when it comes to higher-end features.

roweraay

Another interesting aside is that if they are announcing the A33/55 this far ahead of Photokina, then the conclusion I can draw from that is that the A33/55 are small news from Sony's perspective.

They are getting all of these small news items out of the way, for the big ones that are yet to be announced.....which in turn will get revealed at or around Photokina. Exciting times ahead.