Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica M to NEX Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Leica M to NEX Adapter

Got my new NEX5 kit yesterday and really like this cam!

What adapters from Leica M to the NEX cameras are available and what experience do you have? And where to order?

Thanks

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica M to NEX Adapter

Perhaps this link gives an answer to your question:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=35961023

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Metabones adapter. It is nicely built, but it does focus a little past infinity, so you need to make sure and focus all shots. The thing that I don't like about the adapter is the size of the lens release tab. It takes up too much space where your fingers reside near the camera grip, but YMMV. I actually removed the tab, and just leave the adapter mounted to my CV 35 Nokton. If I get another M lens or two, I'll probably get Voigtlander adapter, simply because the lens release tab is more flush.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Kipon adaptor - I have nothing to compare it with, but it seems to be fine.
    . . . .and it's very nicely made

But, truth to tell, I'd rather stick the M lenses on an M camera . . .and the sony lenses on the NEX (or better still on the A900)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a note that Cameraquest.com now have the Voigtlander M-to-NEX adapters in stock ($179 + $8 shipping). Far better than that $300 eBay rip-off.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Just got a note that Cameraquest.com now have the Voigtlander M-to-NEX adapters in stock ($179 + $8 shipping). Far better than that $300 eBay rip-off.
    NEX-5 plus a lens $599.

An adapter for $180 to $300?!

Sony should abandon making cameras and just make the adapters instead.

(I picked up one on eBay for $29 shipped. Waiting for it to arrive.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    An adapter for $180 to $300?!
    There are various manufacturers making NEX-to-M adapters, ranging all the way from $25 Aluminum ones to the $179 Voigtlander one. One will realize the quality/precision difference, the minute one mounts the lens via the adapter, onto the body.

Even though I bought my Metabones adapter for a little over $80, I would have gladly paid the extra $100 for the Voigtlander adapter, if it was available when I was buying it. $300 is certainly a rip-off (since the Voigtlander adapter was in short supply then and the seller was making hay while the sun was still shining) and I would have had a hard time forking that out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are various manufacturers making NEX-to-M adapters, ranging all the way from $25 Aluminum ones to the $179 Voigtlander one. One will realize the quality/precision difference, the minute one mounts the lens via the adapter, onto the body.

Even though I bought my Metabones adapter for a little over $80, I would have gladly paid the extra $100 for the Voigtlander adapter, if it was available when I was buying it. $300 is certainly a rip-off (since the Voigtlander adapter was in short supply then and the seller was making hay while the sun was still shining) and I would have had a hard time forking that out.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I hope you have suitable Leica M mount lenses to use your adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have suitable Leica M mount lenses to use your adapter.
    Used to (Pre-Asph 35/2). Not any longer (Sold !).

I am still interested in the 21/2.8 ZM but have not heard about its suitability on the NEX from anyone, yet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the lenses I have and would use within the NEX' limitations, the $29 adapter is a just cause.

FWIW, the aluminum part is on the cheaper NEX side.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the aluminum part is on the cheaper NEX side.
    "Aluminum" is a generic term used to describe a wide swath of metal products.

These are all Aluminum alloys, with the properties of the product being dictated by the composition of the alloy. The cheaper adapters are of course not too concerned about the metallurgical composition or longevity of what they sell, as long as they can make a quick buck before the demand runs out and thus the "aluminum" they use is a cheap "quick buck" version. Of course for experimentation, it probably might get the job done.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have very little idea about metals/metallurgy/materials and even less about adapters.

All I do know is that the adapter I am buying is not for shooting brick walls.

BTW, my RJ c-mount adapter (aluminum) is holding up very well and the epoxy modification I did to make it usable as an Olympus pen F mount has made it even stronger. I have no doubt that this adapter will outlive the NEX-5.

Post Thanks / Like

"Aluminum" is a generic term used to describe a wide swath of metal products.

These are all Aluminum alloys, with the properties of the product being dictated by the composition of the alloy. The cheaper adapters are of course not too concerned about the metallurgical composition or longevity of what they sell, as long as they can make a quick buck before the demand runs out and thus the "aluminum" they use is a cheap "quick buck" version. Of course for experimentation, it probably might get the job done.
    to be fair aluminum is actually an element (Al). for most machining purposes pure aluminum is not preferible. there are many different aluminum alloys each designed to have specific properties (resistance to corrosion, ease of machinability, rigidity, etc). the same is true of steel and brass except they don't share a name with their base elements. most of the cheap adapters i've bought are actually made of chromed brass, sometimes with the connection to the camera being made of aluminum. none of them has made me worry that it was not sturdy enough (though some have needed their screws tightened). note: i have actually taken a few of them apart and machined them further in order to make new mounts for lens mount conversions. in any event i would not worry about the durability of cheap mounts, i would worry about the machining precision. many of the cheap ones will not get the infinity stop correct and many will not have the dof scale exactly at 12:00. this won't effect image quality though. as long as all the screws are tight the lens is alignment to sensor should be perfect, which is whats really important. you have to really screw up on a lathe to have a lens come up misaligned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot the same scene today with the Leica/Minolta 40/2 and with the 18-55 kit set to 40mm. The difference is very visible. In the first two shots are from an outdoor scene with trees and leaves that really test a lens.

The next shot was indoors of a door knob. Again the difference is noticeable. I used AF with the kit lens and MF with the 40/2.

The difference in sharpness is very noticeable; however, without the comparison it might not be quite as visible and at smaller sizes is less visible. To my eyes, the two kit lenses just seem to form a slight haze over the image like they were shot through a fine gauze. I left the LR 3 setting for sharpening and NR as standard. I tweaked exposure to match but did not play with WB. The lenses paint colors differently as can be seen (more of an effect on WB as setting WB the same makes them much closer).
    Last edited by barjohn; 27th August 2010 at 09:34.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the tree image with WB set to daylight for both.

V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

John,

It almost looks like motion blur. I don't get anywhere near that amount of blur/distortion on the kit lens. Perhaps your optical stabilization is ON, and you are taking pictures on a tripod. I would recommend you to switch of the stabilization for the kit lens and take some samples.

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was the best of multiple frames. Look at the shutter speed. I tired different exposure settings and shooting burst of frames. All were shot handheld including the Leica lens shots. Image stabilization was on though at this shutter speed it shouldn't have mattered. Also, when you look at a smaller version it isn't as noticeable. Here is an image at about 30%.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

looks to me like misfocus with the kit lens. i would use mf for both to be sure. i don't have the kit lens though, so maybe it's just the lens performance on the edges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First, we are looking at the center in the crops, not the edges. Second, I shot about 12 shots so AF would have to be really bad for all of them to be that far off. I will try a MF to be sure.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here it is with MF only anti shake off and the best of multiple shots. Lighting is a little different due to time of day but the lack of sharpness is still there.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

huh, i might return that lens if i were you. even the 16mm can do better than that in the center.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why "even the 16mm"? It is a great match for the NEX sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 16mm is better but still doesn't match the 40/2.

Maybe the 18-55 is a defective lens I will conduct some more tests on it and see what I find.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    The 16mm is better but still doesn't match the 40/2.
    John, How can you compare a wide to a manual focus moderate tele to say one is better than the other?

Have you or anyone else tried a Leica M mount 15 or 16mm lens to compare with the Sony 16/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm only looking at image sharpness in the center with framing such that the image size is comparable and nothing more. In the case of the 40/2 test against the 18-55, I set the 18-55 to 40 mm to match the field of view. You can see the difference for yourself in the above images. I thought the 18-55 would perform better that what I saw and when seen alone it seems OK; but when compared side by side to a known high quality lens its weakness is obvious. The 16mm is a closer match in terms of producing a sharp center image.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For example, the image below was shot with the 18-55 and it looks reasonably sharp. However, I don't have a 40/2 to compare with.

V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-5, ISO1600, 1/50s, Pentax 110 18mm f/2.8 (fixed aperture lens) (The peanut flash was not used.)

Post Thanks / Like

Why "even the 16mm"? It is a great match for the NEX sensor.
    i have not been impressed with the image quality of my copy. it is rather sharp and contrasty in the center, but the edges are quite weak reaching acceptable by f/8. i find the distortion and CA rather annoying and the bokeh quite disturbing outside of the center of the image. for landscape stopped down to f/8 i'm ok with the results and it works great for indoor video. i had hoped it would work for close focus dramatic perspective distortion type shots but i haven't liked what i've seen from it in that capacity (particularly transitions to out of focus).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sebboh, I am not sure if the lens is used right. Use a polarizer on it (cheap, $5 from China- HOT showed a picture) while using outdoors.

Also, not many use wide apertures for landscapes- it can be done effectively but isn't called for normally.

Distortion is there but isn't objectionable. Perspective distortion (user error) compounds it and makes it worse than it actually is.

It is a fantastic wide angle lens for very little price.

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh, I am not sure if the lens is used right. Use a polarizer on it (cheap, $5 from China- HOT showed a picture) while using outdoors.

Also, not many use wide apertures for landscapes- it can be done effectively but isn't called for normally.

Distortion is there but isn't objectionable. Perspective distortion (user error) compounds it and makes it worse than it actually is.

It is a fantastic wide angle lens for very little price.
    polarizers tend to have an uneven effect on a lens that wide which some object to. i only find them useful for certain situations certainly not every outdoor shot. landscape is the only use for it where i don't find the lens performance objectionable (i never said anything about using wide aperture for landscapes that is silly in most situations). purposeful perspective distortion is what i planned on using it for (not accidental user error). the pincushion distortion isn't terrible (but works against perspective distortion since it is pincushion not the normal barrel distortion of a wide angle), but it robs more edge sharpness when i correct for it. it is exactly the quality of lens i would expect for the price - fine for some situations but not satisfactory for some of the types of shooting i would like to use a wide angle for. i will just stick to tiling shots from less wide lenses for those purposes. i know you like the lens for its IR and UV characteristics, but i don't have much interest in that type of photography. it is always possible i have a poorer sample than you as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A cheap polarizer (even when it is rotated such that the polarization is weak) will cut all the UV off. It does that uniformly, even with wide angle lenses.

I have no idea if the kit 16/2.8 would be useful for IR. It certainly is transparent to near UV and hence the solution to one problem.

Post Thanks / Like

A cheap polarizer (even when it is rotated such that the polarization is weak) will cut all the UV off. It does that uniformly, even with wide angle lenses.
    as would a standard UV filter, hence the name, without blocking ~50% of the light. polarizers aren't really weak or strong at different angles they are selectively blocking light whose waveform has a specific polarity. in some light situations most of the light will have a specific polarity and there will be a particularly strong effect at one orientation and a particularly weak effect 90 from that. in general, when not shooting a lot of sky or reflections polarizers have the added "feature" of acting as ~1/2 stop ND filters. in any event i don't believe any of my issues with the lens have to do with it's UV characteristics. i just mentioned UV because i remembered you were quite excited about the lens in that respect. i don't think it's a bad lens for the price, i just am not particularly impressed with it, and judging from its reviews i'm not the only one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    as would a standard UV filter, hence the name, without blocking ~50% of the light. polarizers aren't really weak or strong at different angles they are selectively blocking light whose waveform has a specific polarity. in some light situations most of the light will have a specific polarity and there will be a particularly strong effect at one orientation and a particularly weak effect 90 from that. in general, when not shooting a lot of sky or reflections polarizers have the added "feature" of acting as ~1/2 stop ND filters. in any event i don't believe any of my issues with the lens have to do with it's UV characteristics. i just mentioned UV because i remembered you were quite excited about the lens in that respect. i don't think it's a bad lens for the price, i just am not particularly impressed with it, and judging from its reviews i'm not the only one.
    Sorry, you missed the point. Not only the 16mm is transparent to near UV but the NEX sensor is also very sensitive to UV. Cheap plastic polarizers cut off UV more efficiently (0% near UV) than most UV filters.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, you missed the point. Not only the 16mm is transparent to near UV but the NEX sensor is also very sensitive to UV. Cheap plastic polarizers cut off UV more efficiently (0% near UV) than most UV filters.
    sorry, i continue to miss the point. what if i don't want polarization? also, where did i say i had not tried a polarizer on the 16mm? i'm sorry, i have shot both with and without a polarizer and i'm not particularly pleased with what i see from the 16mm in either condition. you asked what it was that i didn't like about the lens' performance and i told you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

UV affects clarity (contrast and sharpness) as well as the colors. These stem from the fact that the NEX sensor is sensitive to UV and the 16mm lens is transparent to UV. I suggested a polarizer as an efficient UV cut off filter.

Post Thanks / Like

UV affects clarity (contrast and sharpness) as well as the colors. These stem from the fact that the NEX sensor is sensitive to UV and the 16mm lens is transparent to UV. I suggested a polarizer as an efficient UV cut off filter.
    yes, i know. i stated why i thought having a polarizer always on the lens was not preferible.