The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thanks!

sebboh

So, you guys will buy another NEX with all the same? Good for Sony to have such loyal following. :)
no, i have no need for 2 identical cameras. if i drop my NEX and it breaks i would certainly buy a new one though. in 2 years or so when i might be looking for an upgrade i will buy whatever camera fits my needs best (as i have done now). as far sony goes, i'm not particularly fond of the company, but i'll pretty much always buy whatever product fits me best regardless of the brand.

douglasf13

So, you guys will buy another NEX with all the same? Good for Sony to have such loyal following. :)
Hey, don't get me wrong, I still want things like a better interface, another button or two squeezed in there, weather sealing, etc. I just don't want a side swing LCD for this cam.

V

Vivek

Douglas, I never did (get you wrong).:)

The Plastic exteriored NEX-3, looking back, would have been a better value.

douglasf13

Oddly enough, I was going to mention that it would be nice if the NEX-5 was all magnesium, rather than just the front half. Also, I wish the camera had a pc port. Maybe someone will make a tiny hotshoe accessory with a pc port?

V

Vivek

Oddly enough, I was going to mention that it would be nice if the NEX-5 was all magnesium, rather than just the front half. Also, I wish the camera had a pc port. Maybe someone will make a tiny hotshoe accessory with a pc port?
If someone makes a hot/cold shoe to fit in place of the screw in peanut flash, it would be useful. An electrical extension for the flash as well.

I bought a $1.99 clicker for alpha that works with the NEX5 but they sent it with a dying battery. :(

The 16/2.8, after dropping it on concrete floor (not deliberately) still works as before though.

BTW, only the front part acts as a heatsink for the sensor (along with the lens mount). The LCD actually benefits from the plastic insulation.

If Sony had not put the flimsy ribbon connection for the LCD, I would have tried hacking it and attaching the Panasonic G1 swivel mechanism to house the LCD.

simonclivehughes

If someone makes a hot/cold shoe to fit in place of the screw in peanut flash, it would be useful. An electrical extension for the flash as well.
I'd be very leery of mounting any significant flash via the screw-in port, I wouldn't think it would support much weight or stress to the mount. I hope it is sufficient to securely mount an EVF (note my optimism :D).

If I had to use flash, and wanted more than the peanut supplies, I think I'd use the peanut to trigger an off-camera flash.

Cheers,

sebboh

Douglas, I never did (get you wrong).:)

The Plastic exteriored NEX-3, looking back, would have been a better value.
that was my view. i actually prefer 720p mp4 to 1080i AVHD (for my limited video demands) and despite NEX-5 being smaller as a whole it seemed like the NEX-3 might be smaller in the most important dimension for pocketability (haven't gotten a chance to test this out with a NEX-5 for sure). in any event, i got a good deal on a used NEX-3 from steve huff and that made my decision for me. i do think the NEX-5 looks prettier though, and a couple times a year i'm sure i'll wish i had a remote.

V

Vivek

I'd be very leery of mounting any significant flash via the screw-in port, I wouldn't think it would support much weight or stress to the mount. I hope it is sufficient to securely mount an EVF (note my optimism :D).

If I had to use flash, and wanted more than the peanut supplies, I think I'd use the peanut to trigger an off-camera flash.

Cheers,
Simon, For the Macro samples I posted here, the peanut flash is plenty if I can take that and mount it near the tiny 25/3.5.

I am surprised that no one bothered to make a cable for this. I would if I can find a spare peanut flash for a cheap price.

Anyone here who does not use theirs want to sell it to me?

[Oh, yes! A decent EVF-preferably decently priced, would be welcome]

V

Vivek

i do think the NEX-5 looks prettier though, and a couple times a year i'm sure i'll wish i had a remote.

It is pretty alright. That does nothing for actual use though.

Sounds like you had a great deal on the NEX3.