The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carl Zeiss MF for A-mount?

edwardkaraa

According to Zeiss, this will never happen as it's not allowed by their agreement with Sony. I think they are talking about the CP.2 line which fits the description. I do hope to be wrong though, I would love to see that happen.

roweraay

According to Zeiss, this will never happen as it's not allowed by their agreement with Sony.
Can you point to an official source from Zeiss who says that it will never happen as per their agreement with Sony ? Just curious.

It is clear that Zeiss is not going to introduce A-mount products that compete with Sony's own products (like they do with Canon and Nikon) since they are a partner of Sony. But I don't think there would be a problem, if Sony tacitly allows them to introduce products that are not "threatening" to the official A-mount products. In my opinion, the only reason for something not being introduced by Zeiss, for the A-mount, is due to the fact that there are candidates in the Sony lens pipeline that will meet the needs being met by the aftermarket Zeiss offerings for Canon and Nikon (and I hope they arrive soon).

edwardkaraa

My source is an email from Zeiss to myself answering my question about any plans to make the Z* available in the alpha mount. Not sure how official you would consider that. I'm not ruling out the possibility that agreements can change over time though but this should have been true at the time, about 1 year ago.

picman

My source is an email from Zeiss to myself answering my question about any plans to make the Z* available in the alpha mount. Not sure how official you would consider that. I'm not ruling out the possibility that agreements can change over time though but this should have been true at the time, about 1 year ago.
I'm very sceptical myself. My hope is sparkled just a little by the facts (1) that I cannot imagine Sony doesn't realise that in the end it will do them more harm than good and (2) Zeiss said for a long there would never be a ZE version, but there it now is. :)

roweraay

Okay, seems like you received a canned response from a customer service rep and IMHO, that means nothing. Such a response is precisely what they would be expected to do. If one could get details on future confidential product plans of a manufacturer, by writing to them via email, everybody would do it.....including competitors.;)

Until the day such a product is officially announced, they are not going to admit to any such things being in the pipeline. Even beta testers testing an actual product won't admit to it, due to NDAs, until it is officially announced by the manufacturer.

docmaas

I think Zeiss Zf.1 lenses should be easily converted to Alpha mount. The register is a bit longer on the Nikon and the Zf.1 don't have an aperture lever for full open focus as far as I know. If they do have such an aperture lever that will throw a wrench into the works.

Mike

edwardkaraa

I'm very sceptical myself. My hope is sparkled just a little by the facts (1) that I cannot imagine Sony doesn't realise that in the end it will do them more harm than good and (2) Zeiss said for a long there would never be a ZE version, but there it now is. :)
Fully agreed.

1: Maybe the Zeiss aficionados are not that many, but I can imagine there are quite a few who would get the A900 or its successor if a MF ZA line is available.

2: Very true. Only 2 months before the ZE was announced they assured me there will not be a ZE line :D