The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reversing the pancake lens (Nex)

V

Vivek

Easy to do. Set the aperture while mounted normally and dismount without turning the NEX off. This keeps the aperture fixed.

This is a sample shot. No adapter was used, the 16/2.8 was just pressed against the NEX5 and shot handheld (ISO1600, f/9, 1/40s, LR3.2). Larger than life size.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Now, there are lens reversing adapters available on eBay (got a notice earlier today).

M

meilicke

That looks like a maple tree "helicopter" seed? If so, the seed part is about 5-8mm wide. I played with them for hours as a kid!

Great photo, and very nice to see the flexibility of that lens.

Scott

V

Vivek

Thanks, Michiel and Scott.

Michiel, Sycamore tree (Acer pseudoplatanus) seeds- something you are very familiar with.

Scott was close. Yes, these are also "helicopter" seeds (bit larger than what Scott mentions). I was playing with them with my son.:)

S

Sanna

Hi Vivek
really cool pic!
I can't wait to get my Nex:D It arrives with snail mail:cry:
Greatings from rainy Switzerland
Susann

hot

I've a reverse ring for 4/3 - some pictures from today with Oly510 and reverse Canon-Kit-Zoom, a little bit unsharp, because it was rainy and cloudy and I was too lazy to use a tripod ---> freehand.

standard picture:

reverse

V

Vivek

Here is another from the NEX5-16/2.8 combo in another experiment. The set-up was quirky and the lighting a bit odd. Anyway, I think I managed to capture the nervous Aphids. The 16/2.8, reversed, makes a fine macro lens to say the least.

S

Sanna

Hi Vivek
wonderful pic! :D
It reminds me to the time I used my old Zeiss analog camera: as a student I hadn't the money to buy a macro lens. So I taped a magnifiing glass to the lens and it worked:D
Greatings from Switzerland
Susann

V

Vivek

Seanna, Thanks.

Unfortunately, despite the NEX5 being a better sensor, the Panasonic G1 is still proving to be a better camera. I can even modify the light from the pop-up flash from the G1 to light macro subjects. The superb EVF helps as well.
I thought the G1 was an ergonomics disaster. Well, there are worse things that can be made...:rolleyes:

An example (Panasonic G1, I forget which lens- either the Sony 16/2.8 or the Pana 20/1.7-reversed).

I hope someone will bring out an electrical extension strip for the peanut flash of the NEX5..