The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss on Sony

Simon M.

So there now appears to be some options for getting all Zeiss slr lenses onto a Sony alpha mount body.
1. Sony ZA lenses
Pros
- autofocus
- fully integrated into camera (exif recorded, no need for stop down metering, etc.)
- exclusive designs (if they are what you want/need)
Cons
- limited range of lenses​
2. Zeiss ZS lenses with M42 to Alpha adapter
Pros
- cheapest zeiss lenses
Cons
- liminted range
- adapter required
- stop down metering
- limited exif recorded​
3. Zeiss ZF/ZF.2 lenses with leitax adapter
Pros
- Full range of lenses
Cons
- adapter required
- stop down meetering
- limited (if any) exif recorded​
4. Zeiss CP.2 primes
Pros
- Full range of lenses
- very accurate distance markings
- T stop indications on lens
Cons
- cost
- size​

Any opinions and or corrections about more pros/cons of each option. If buying new which option would you choose and why? Personally I would probably go the ZF route and supplement with ZA lenses to cover some specific uses, this would of course change if Zeiss were to offer the full range of MF lenses in native alpha mount.

douglasf13

I would say that using the big adapter for ZA lenses is also a negative. Plus, the 85 and 135 ZA won't autofocus, since they're screwdrive.

You forgot about the Zeiss ZM line, which makes the most sense to me, since NEX is about size.

p.s. you can use chipped m42 adapters for the ZS line, and that'll give you some exif communication.

Simon M.

I hadn't realized it but with both A and E mount systems in sony's line up there are options galore for using Zeiss lenses.

I'm personally interested in Zeiss on A mount (as I don't have a nex camera...); however it seems like it is much easier to adapt lenses to mount to the E mount than the A mount due to the flange-film distance.

sebboh

the leitax route for zf lenses is a mount replacement not an adapter. you can relatively cheaply buy a chip to put on the leitax mount that tells the camera the focal length and widest aperture as well (still won't tell what aperture you shot at though). for me this sounds like the best option other than ZA. i actually prefer stop down metering (even on a dslr) so that is a plus not a negative for me.

edwardkaraa

I went the ZA/ZS way. I recently discovered the leitax option, but I would feel apprehensive to change the lens mount, eventhough the process is reversible. There are rumors Zeiss might announce the manual focus lenses in the alpha mount during Photokina, day 1 already passed without any announcements but it may come later on. If not, I will seriously consider the leitax option.

douglasf13

I apologize, Simon. You clearly stated Alpha mount, not E mount, in your original post, and I skimmed right over it.

Simon M.

No problem Douglas. The E-mount options are very interesting, intentionally or not Sony created a camera that can use many unique lenses. I can't quite give up the optical viewfinder yet - but if I could I would be firmly in the Nex camp (simply for the sensor and variety of lenses).

The leitax option is particularly intriguing as I don't think there is any other way to get a 100/2 makro (among others) in alpha mount.

douglasf13

I can vouch for Leitax. I used them to mount a Leica 50 Summicron to my A900, and the mount conversion took me all of 10 minutes and was easy.

FWIW all my lenses are Leica adapted with Leitax. I will be selling a few of them shortly, but have no qualms with the Leitax mounts.

edwardkaraa

To be honest, Sony is not the best choice if you like Zeiss. Canon, Nikon and even Pentax have a better choice. It was understood from Zeiss press release that the 24/2 will be the last addition to the alpha mount. Even for Nex it is very revealing that from 3 lenses already available and another bunch announced yesterday only 1 is a Zeiss. This is a far cry from a couple of years ago. If the rumored mf lenses in A mount turn out to be incorrect I personally would loose any interest left in Sony.

Simon M.

I think the wording of the Zeiss press release for the 24/2 may have been misleading, or at the very least poorly copywritten. Since then they released the compact prime lenses in alpha mount - yes a VERY different audience, but none the less a 'new' Zeiss lens in alpha mount.

That being said, I think Nikon may be the winner for using Zeiss lenses right now. The ZF.2 line up can be used on Nikon, Canon (F to EOS adapter), and Sony (mount replacement), this versatility almost guarantees future compatibility.

edwardkaraa

If the A mount mf lenses are announced, you can be sure that no more ZA lenses are planned. Otherwise I don't think Sony would give its benediction.

picman

To be honest, Sony is not the best choice if you like Zeiss. Canon, Nikon and even Pentax have a better choice. It was understood from Zeiss press release that the 24/2 will be the last addition to the alpha mount. Even for Nex it is very revealing that from 3 lenses already available and another bunch announced yesterday only 1 is a Zeiss. This is a far cry from a couple of years ago. If the rumored mf lenses in A mount turn out to be incorrect I personally would loose any interest left in Sony.
Which Zeiss press release was this? I saw the one from Sony which talked about "rounding out the set of ZA lenses", but nothing from Zeiss. Could you please point me to it, thanks.

Cheers, Bob

edwardkaraa

I think it's the same one we're talking about as this is the exact wording that makes me believe we won't be seeing any ZA lenses in the future.

PS: You're right there was no press release from Zeiss as is usual with ZA lenses. It was quoted from Sony.

Last edited:

picman

I think it's the same one we're talking about as this is the exact wording that makes me believe we won't be seeing any ZA lenses in the future.

PS: You're right there was no press release from Zeiss as is usual with ZA lenses. It was quoted from Sony.
Well, that makes me a little bit happier, just a little bit :LOL:

Still hoping for the MF's but hope is dwindling fast ... :(

edwardkaraa

Well, we both expressed our skepticism at the rumour, even though secretly we were hoping it would be true :D

I guess it was too good to be true.

edwardkaraa

And it was too good to be true indeed.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BC...8E06D1CFA00E171BC12577A600262035?OpenDocument

Speaking at photokina 2010, the Senior Vice President of the Camera Lens Division at Carl Zeiss, Dr. Winfried Scherle, announced that more models are in the pipeline: “We intend to continue systematically expanding our portfolio of SLR camera lenses to provide our customers with an even greater range of options,” Scherle said.

Based on the market situation, the division will focus on SLR lenses from the ZE and ZF.2 series in the future. With production of ZK series lenses for cameras with a K mount set to end in the fall of 2010, some focal lengths will no longer be available. However, the remaining ZK lenses will continue to be offered at unchanged prices while stocks last.

douglasf13

Like I mentioned on another thread, Sony hasn't really approached Zeiss differently this year than they have in the past. One lens a year, outside of the 2 primes at launch. Nikon has always had the more complete Zeiss lineup, but Sony had the AF. I would at least wait to make the call until we see PMA news, unless you're expecting multiple new Zeiss lenses.