The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX vs GF1; which to bring on my upcoming trip?

jonoslack

Jono, in that vein I have been considering the Canon S90 or 95.
Well, okay, but 28-105 is hardly 25-300.
Which was the point - Added to which it'll cost you nearly twice as much!
The point we found so great was the huge zoom range and the macro facility - sure, the low light wasn't great, but then there was something else to use for that (and it won't be great with the Canon either). Neither of them will produce quality to match the GF1 (or the M9 indeed).

But at ISO 80 the jpgs are just fine for all but the most stringent purposes, and the longer zoom helped get some shots which really wouldn't have been possible without it.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Tom

Check out the Ricoh GXR - I'm surprised there is not much talk of it on the forum. The P10 28-300 small sensor has given me excellent results. I have the 50/2.5 macro APS, and plan to get the newly announced 28/2.5 APS. These latter two lenses can rival Leica in their quality.

Now if they bring out a M or a 4/3 mount perhaps people may sit up and listen

Keith

Braeside

As Jono was saying, having a small camera with a longish zoom is very handy when you don't know what you may encounter. We were recently on a cruise through the Med and the captain suddenly announced he had spotted a pod of whales, I had my Sony A900 but the longest lens I took was the 135/1.8 (I did have a TC but did not have time to find it). Most of my initial shots were of a distant spout of water.

However, I had given my wife a new Panasonic FZ38 for her birthday, to replace her elderly FZ20. She got some superb video at full zoom (about 480mm effective). This was the first time she even tried the video function, I had to shout to her to press the red button and shoot...

I did get lucky eventually as the whales passed right under the bridge of the ship and with the 135/1.8 and pol filter I got some real closeups with the A900.

I'm seriously considering the TZ10 or the LX5.

Another surprise was how useful the iPhone 4 camera was, both still and HD video.

Next time I am travelling lighter, I took the A900 + 16mm fish eye, 24-70 ZA, 135/1.8 ZA + TC and the M8 18/28/35/50/75 lenses .

Best shots (in good light) were taken with the M8 + 18mm Zeiss. Some great shots with the 16mm fish eye on the A900, but some of my favourites were taken with the iPhone 4 as I always had it handy.

Just wish Leica made a better sensor for low light, I actually prefer the iPhone inside.

Braeside

I have just ordered a TZ10 (ZS7 in other parts of the world) as a pocket camera - I was so impressed with the wife's FZ38(FZ35) that it convinced me. My idea is M8 + TZ10 covers 99% of my travel needs. A900 just a little of an overkill for tourist use, though I love it dearly for more relaxed formal stuff.

wjlapier

;)

Funny the ZS7 was brought up. It's with me all the time no matter what camera I have with me. As was said, excellent images during the day. Video is what I really like it for. I shoot video of my kids in sports and I can zoom and the focus remains locked. Not sure on a very fast moving object like a car. Pocketable. I've been using a small pouch for it, but the screen seems to not scratch easily ( no scratches yet ) so I'm just putting it in my pocket.

So, your GF1 and 20, and the ZS7 could be a great combo :thumbs:

Terry

With a ZS7 (TZ) I would pair it with GF1 +20. Gets you
Long reach for day and fast for evening.

jonoslack

With a ZS7 (TZ) I would pair it with GF1 +20. Gets you
Long reach for day and fast for evening.
I'm with you on this one. Although I might pop an m9 in the bag instead of the GF1 :)
The GPS on the TZ10 was REALLY good fun on our trip as well!

Braeside

Yes, after using my iPhone 4 on holiday, I have started to see why GPS in a camera is so very handy. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my TZ10 today.

jonoslack

Yes, after using my iPhone 4 on holiday, I have started to see why GPS in a camera is so very handy. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my TZ10 today.
I'm sure you'll love it . . . don't expect miracles at the telephoto end, but I thought it was remarkably good. . . . . and almost unbelievably small.

We thought the GPS had gone bonkers, as it appeared we had taken a load of pictures out at sea . . . .and then we realised we'd been on a boat!

tom in mpls

For those who have been waiting with baited breath for my decision, it has been made. I am getting a NEX 3 body so I will take the 2 NEX lenses, each with a body attached. I will be carrying a small bag with me at all times anyway (It's not a man purse, it's a satchel! Actually an A&A messenger bag.) so I'm not concerned that it be pocketable, but it will still be rather small and light.

For those who have been waiting with baited breath for my decision, it has been made. I am getting a NEX 3 body so I will take the 2 NEX lenses, each with a body attached. I will be carrying a small bag with me at all times anyway (It's not a man purse, it's a satchel! Actually an A&A messenger bag.) so I'm not concerned that it be pocketable, but it will still be rather small and light.
that's the perfect solution! don't settle for µ4/3. :D

simonclivehughes

That's what I've been doing too, Tom. I bought a second NEX 5 about a week after the first and I use them both with different lenses, both the Sony and my Voigtländer lenses. Right now, my favourite combo is the CV 21mm f4 and the CV 90mm f3.5. Interestingly, it's the exact combo I used with my R-D1's when I had them! :)

A small waist pouch holds the Sony lenses and a CV 50mm f1.1 lens... nice and compact.

Cheers,

ampguy

any corner fixing with the 21/4 on the NEX? how is flare? I get some flare droplets with the 21/4 on my M8, when shooting towards bright sunlight, I would guess the same on the NEX? thanks!

That's what I've been doing too, Tom. I bought a second NEX 5 about a week after the first and I use them both with different lenses, both the Sony and my Voigtländer lenses. Right now, my favourite combo is the CV 21mm f4 and the CV 90mm f3.5. Interestingly, it's the exact combo I used with my R-D1's when I had them! :)

A small waist pouch holds the Sony lenses and a CV 50mm f1.1 lens... nice and compact.

Cheers,