Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX vs GF1; which to bring on my upcoming trip?

Post Thanks / Like

NEX vs GF1; which to bring on my upcoming trip?

I own both bodies right now. Both NEX lenses, and the Panny 20. I find myself stymied right now with lens selections. My wife and I have on short notice committed to a big trip to Turkey next month and I don't know what to take. I have moved away from DSLR's for the smaller size of these cams, but neither body has the AF lenses that I need for this trip. I would like to take the NEX but really wanted a better lens than the NEX zoom to go with the 16mm. Maybe I'm better off with the GF1 and the one lens. I think the NEX has better files but the lens options leave me in a quandry. I find the current lack of small lenses to be a frustration.

Would you go with what I have, or should I add a single smallish AF prime or zoom to one of them? I've done lots of traveling with the DSLR kit; this time I want a more minimalist approach. Maybe just the Panny/20 as I do prefer a fast lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX vs GF1; which to bring on my upcoming trip?

Have you considered getting a 9-18 to go with your trip? It could add something you cannot do with the normal slowish zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleksanderpolo View Post
    Have you considered getting a 9-18 to go with your trip? It could add something you cannot do with the normal slowish zoom.
    This is the Oly lens? Would autofocus on the GF1? It's a thought.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, it will AF just fine. Tiny lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, Don't you own an M9? That plus a couple of fast lenses would do, I would reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Tom, Don't you own an M9? That plus a couple of fast lenses would do, I would reckon.
    No M9 any more. As much as I love the M9 files and the fast M lenses, I had to admit that manual focus was not for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you think you will be shooting? and I assume you want to take no camera bag at all...
    For me I would probably take (others hate zooms):
    GF1 + 20 and 14-140
    NEX + Contax G 35mm + 18-55 (or 18-200 but I haven't tried it on the NEX yet).

If it was really just going to be a one lens keep it tiny
    GF1 + 20 mm is more versatile than NEX + 16

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I will be shooting streets, buildings, indoors, people, and some landscape type. I will take a camera bag if I need a second lens.

Thanks for your suggestions. The currently limited lens selections don't make it easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I don't have the NEX, but I do have the GF1 and 20, 7-14, and 14-140. IMO, this is about as good as it gets for a compact kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Even the little original 14-45 would add some flexibility and you could stick it in a pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

NEX AF options would be NEX zoom plus 16mm, or alpha lenses with adapter and new software.

I have just located this reference for all the FT and mFT lenses.

I am leaning towards the very minimalist GF1 plus 20mm.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 14-45 kit zoom is pretty decent in day light, give you some more range than the 20 (I use mainly indoor lowlight). Also, there is a 9-18 for sale in the marketplace. Both of them are quite small if you want to travel light. I usually put a GF1 + 20 + 14-45 in one holster bag.

curious80

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    Tom, I don't have the NEX, but I do have the GF1 and 20, 7-14, and 14-140. IMO, this is about as good as it gets for a compact kit.
    Nice setup - though I would go for 45-200mm instead of 14-140mm - it is lighter, cheaper and has more reach.

With such a setup I would keep the 20mm lens on most of the time and will not want to switch lenses unless I want to go really wide or really long. The 14-45mm range will basically be covered by 20mm and foot zoom. Thats why for me it makes more sense to pair the 20mm with 7-14mm/9-18mm and 45-200mm.

Now if only I could find money to pair my lonely 20mm with these other two guys!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of the Sony kit zoom. Bokeh is excellent. It does have some distortion but that only is visible in certain situations and is easily fixed if it bothers..

I'd take the NEX with kit zoom, the 16, and a fast adapted lens of some sort. The sweep pano feature is great for a travel cam.

Post Thanks / Like

New idea. Bring the Nex/16 and the GF1/20. No changing lenses. Effectively 24mm and 40mm. The new pardigm: a body for each lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    New idea. Bring the Nex/16 and the GF1/20. No changing lenses. Effectively 24mm and 40mm. The new pardigm: a body for each lens.
    I like this idea because then you have a backup, too. I would never go on such an important trip with just one body. I'd tuck that Contax 35 in there, too.
    If you go back to the idea of only one body, I'd make it the NEX. Monza is right about the pano feature being very worthwhile for travel.
    Downside of this idea is 2 sets of batteries/chargers to deal with.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 24th September 2010 at 06:31.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed. That is why the Fuji 100X resonates well among many.

None (m4/3rds or the fledgling NEX) are (old type) real system type imagers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Downside of this idea is 2 sets of batteries/chargers to deal with.
    Or a second NEX body for both NEX lenses. One charger. Maybe the 35G, too. You are right about having an extra body, although my wife will have her Canon P&S.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning towards the very minimalist GF1 plus 20mm.
    That would be what I brought given what you have. I don't know the NEX cameras or lenses at all. Maybe if I felt strongly about it, add portrait tele, but overall the one-lens kit will push you to see and create rather than consider lens changing.

Of course, some opportunities will be missed. Such it is.

My trip to NY recently had me with the E-1 body, 11-22 and 35 Macro. It was a great kit. Biggest percentage of my favorite picks were at 22mm or 35mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom
    Just back from a 3 week trip to Crete (bright light, lots of opportunities - not so different from your trip to Turkey).

All this doctrinaire stuff - I've just been going through our shots (A900 / M9 / X1 / D-lux4 / V-lux 20).

I don't know if you're after technical or artistic integrity, or good memories (or possibly a mixture), but in the daylight the pictures from the V-lux20 (Panasonic TZ10) have been splendid - both of us fought over it, set to -1/3 exposure, -2 noise reduction, -1 sharpening. P mode.

Choose your NEX / GF1 1 or two lens kit by all means (and I actually agree with Monza that the NEX zoom is a fine lens). However, a TZ10 fits in your shorts pocket and with a 24-240 zoom you won't be missing too many shots (in bright light as I said). It'll shoot bugs at an inch or so, and people several hundred yards away. Printing at 17" will be fine for most purposes.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, in that vein I have been considering the Canon S90 or 95.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, in that vein I have been considering the Canon S90 or 95.
    Well, okay, but 28-105 is hardly 25-300.
    Which was the point - Added to which it'll cost you nearly twice as much!
    The point we found so great was the huge zoom range and the macro facility - sure, the low light wasn't great, but then there was something else to use for that (and it won't be great with the Canon either). Neither of them will produce quality to match the GF1 (or the M9 indeed).

But at ISO 80 the jpgs are just fine for all but the most stringent purposes, and the longer zoom helped get some shots which really wouldn't have been possible without it.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

Check out the Ricoh GXR - I'm surprised there is not much talk of it on the forum. The P10 28-300 small sensor has given me excellent results. I have the 50/2.5 macro APS, and plan to get the newly announced 28/2.5 APS. These latter two lenses can rival Leica in their quality.

Now if they bring out a M or a 4/3 mount perhaps people may sit up and listen

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

As Jono was saying, having a small camera with a longish zoom is very handy when you don't know what you may encounter. We were recently on a cruise through the Med and the captain suddenly announced he had spotted a pod of whales, I had my Sony A900 but the longest lens I took was the 135/1.8 (I did have a TC but did not have time to find it). Most of my initial shots were of a distant spout of water.

However, I had given my wife a new Panasonic FZ38 for her birthday, to replace her elderly FZ20. She got some superb video at full zoom (about 480mm effective). This was the first time she even tried the video function, I had to shout to her to press the red button and shoot...

I did get lucky eventually as the whales passed right under the bridge of the ship and with the 135/1.8 and pol filter I got some real closeups with the A900.

I'm seriously considering the TZ10 or the LX5.

Another surprise was how useful the iPhone 4 camera was, both still and HD video.

Next time I am travelling lighter, I took the A900 + 16mm fish eye, 24-70 ZA, 135/1.8 ZA + TC and the M8 18/28/35/50/75 lenses .

Best shots (in good light) were taken with the M8 + 18mm Zeiss. Some great shots with the 16mm fish eye on the A900, but some of my favourites were taken with the iPhone 4 as I always had it handy.

Just wish Leica made a better sensor for low light, I actually prefer the iPhone inside.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

I have just ordered a TZ10 (ZS7 in other parts of the world) as a pocket camera - I was so impressed with the wife's FZ38(FZ35) that it convinced me. My idea is M8 + TZ10 covers 99% of my travel needs. A900 just a little of an overkill for tourist use, though I love it dearly for more relaxed formal stuff.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Funny the ZS7 was brought up. It's with me all the time no matter what camera I have with me. As was said, excellent images during the day. Video is what I really like it for. I shoot video of my kids in sports and I can zoom and the focus remains locked. Not sure on a very fast moving object like a car. Pocketable. I've been using a small pouch for it, but the screen seems to not scratch easily ( no scratches yet ) so I'm just putting it in my pocket.

So, your GF1 and 20, and the ZS7 could be a great combo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With a ZS7 (TZ) I would pair it with GF1 +20. Gets you
    Long reach for day and fast for evening.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    With a ZS7 (TZ) I would pair it with GF1 +20. Gets you
    Long reach for day and fast for evening.
    I'm with you on this one. Although I might pop an m9 in the bag instead of the GF1 :-)
    The GPS on the TZ10 was REALLY good fun on our trip as well!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, after using my iPhone 4 on holiday, I have started to see why GPS in a camera is so very handy. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my TZ10 today.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Yes, after using my iPhone 4 on holiday, I have started to see why GPS in a camera is so very handy. Just waiting for the postman to deliver my TZ10 today.
    I'm sure you'll love it . . . don't expect miracles at the telephoto end, but I thought it was remarkably good. . . . . and almost unbelievably small.

We thought the GPS had gone bonkers, as it appeared we had taken a load of pictures out at sea . . . .and then we realised we'd been on a boat!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

For those who have been waiting with baited breath for my decision, it has been made. I am getting a NEX 3 body so I will take the 2 NEX lenses, each with a body attached. I will be carrying a small bag with me at all times anyway (It's not a man purse, it's a satchel! Actually an A&A messenger bag.) so I'm not concerned that it be pocketable, but it will still be rather small and light.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who have been waiting with baited breath for my decision, it has been made. I am getting a NEX 3 body so I will take the 2 NEX lenses, each with a body attached. I will be carrying a small bag with me at all times anyway (It's not a man purse, it's a satchel! Actually an A&A messenger bag.) so I'm not concerned that it be pocketable, but it will still be rather small and light.
    that's the perfect solution! don't settle for µ4/3.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I've been doing too, Tom. I bought a second NEX 5 about a week after the first and I use them both with different lenses, both the Sony and my Voigtländer lenses. Right now, my favourite combo is the CV 21mm f4 and the CV 90mm f3.5. Interestingly, it's the exact combo I used with my R-D1's when I had them!

A small waist pouch holds the Sony lenses and a CV 50mm f1.1 lens... nice and compact.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

any corner fixing with the 21/4 on the NEX? how is flare? I get some flare droplets with the 21/4 on my M8, when shooting towards bright sunlight, I would guess the same on the NEX? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    That's what I've been doing too, Tom. I bought a second NEX 5 about a week after the first and I use them both with different lenses, both the Sony and my Voigtländer lenses. Right now, my favourite combo is the CV 21mm f4 and the CV 90mm f3.5. Interestingly, it's the exact combo I used with my R-D1's when I had them!

A small waist pouch holds the Sony lenses and a CV 50mm f1.1 lens... nice and compact.

Cheers,
    My Photography Blog here