The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16-35 zoom @ 20mm vs C/Y distagon 21mm

edwardkaraa

Thank you very much for this comparison, Mike.

The first thing I noticed are the bad LLC with the 16-35. The zoom clearly suffers from decentering.

I'm also a bit surprised by the very high center resolution of the zoom. Maybe Sony's MTF are not exagerated after all.

I'm sure there are more interesting things to discover in this shootout so I will take a close look this evening.

Cheers,
Edward

edwardkaraa

Frankly I'm amazed at how well the 16-35 did against the all-mighty 21 Distagon. Not bad at all.

I suspect the 16-35 to have been focused a bit further than the prime, and it clearly shows some decentering in the lower left corner which incidentally helps to render a sharper top left corner :D

I would still go with the prime, but the zoom would be a very decent option as well.

edwardkaraa

Sorry about that Mike. The good side is that you will have a new optical assembly installed. You should be able to tell if the lens has a new Zeiss serial number. If it doesn't that would mean that the lens had to be returned to the factory in Japan which would take 2-3 months.