The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS mini plate for NEX

volkerhopf

I do quite a bit of work on the tripod with the NEX, but I don't like to screw on and off the Arca Swiss plates all the time. The ones I have are for SLRs and are too big to leave them on permanently.
The other day I found this little jewel on the RRS web site. It is supposed to be used with compacts but it fits perfectly for the NEX. It is so small and light that I can leave it on permanently.

V

Vivek

This is nice but I would like to see a range mini tripod accessories developed for these.

I hope someday the tripod folks will catch up with the changes in sizes.

T

tigertimb

A plate exactly like that, but contoured to match the curve of the NEX base would be ideal.

At the moment, there's so little area in contact with the tripod plate that there's no grip unless I tighten the screw beyond where I feel comfortable.

It would be great to see a plate that matched and gripped the shape nicely, to the point where I felt able to use it in portrait mode with lenses other than just the pancake

V

Vivek

A plate exactly like that, but contoured to match the curve of the NEX base would be ideal.

At the moment, there's so little area in contact with the tripod plate that there's no grip unless I tighten the screw beyond where I feel comfortable.
I agree. The plate (contoured) could extend towards the mount by ~5mm.

Sony should make one after they make an EVF so that the NEX can be used easily in the portrait orientation.

volkerhopf

It would be great to see a plate that matched and gripped the shape nicely, to the point where I felt able to use it in portrait mode with lenses other than just the pancake
So far the heaviest lens I have used is the MATE (Tri Elmar). I was never worried that it would come off the tripod.