Site Sponsors

Thread: RRS mini plate for NEX

Post Thanks / Like

RRS mini plate for NEX

I do quite a bit of work on the tripod with the NEX, but I don't like to screw on and off the Arca Swiss plates all the time. The ones I have are for SLRs and are too big to leave them on permanently.
    The other day I found this little jewel on the RRS web site. It is supposed to be used with compacts but it fits perfectly for the NEX. It is so small and light that I can leave it on permanently.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RRS mini plate for NEX

This is nice but I would like to see a range mini tripod accessories developed for these.

I hope someday the tripod folks will catch up with the changes in sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    This is nice but I would like to see a range mini tripod accessories developed for these.

I hope someday the tripod folks will catch up with the changes in sizes.
    I agree but at least it is a start!

tigertimb

A plate exactly like that, but contoured to match the curve of the NEX base would be ideal.

At the moment, there's so little area in contact with the tripod plate that there's no grip unless I tighten the screw beyond where I feel comfortable.

It would be great to see a plate that matched and gripped the shape nicely, to the point where I felt able to use it in portrait mode with lenses other than just the pancake

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tigertimb View Post
    A plate exactly like that, but contoured to match the curve of the NEX base would be ideal.

At the moment, there's so little area in contact with the tripod plate that there's no grip unless I tighten the screw beyond where I feel comfortable.
    I agree. The plate (contoured) could extend towards the mount by ~5mm.

Sony should make one after they make an EVF so that the NEX can be used easily in the portrait orientation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigertimb View Post

It would be great to see a plate that matched and gripped the shape nicely, to the point where I felt able to use it in portrait mode with lenses other than just the pancake
    So far the heaviest lens I have used is the MATE (Tri Elmar). I was never worried that it would come off the tripod.