The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A55- what do you intend to do with it?

Jim DE

Yeah, As I stated in some other threads my NEX5 with Contax G lenses will remain my primary carry camera handling 80-90% of the shot load generally. The a33 is a light weight replacement for my Minolta 7D and will handle my fast stabilized long zoom shots and flash work photo's when or if needed. With the weight of the NEX and a33 double camera carry feels lighter than the Minolta 7D with vertical grip and long zoom alone ;)

Though originally I was going to wait for the a55 I started to weigh my needs and wants for this second carry camera choice and with the exception of the added MP count the rest of the advantages in the a55 would never get used in my case. I was familiar with the a33's sensor and knew I like it but the 16.2 was a unknown though I was sure it too would be good but did not know just how much better. That is why I asked the IQ question of you being as you are the very first person in the states that I know who has one and who has owned the NEX5 as well.

Thank you very much for your honesty in your reply. I would of guessed the added MP effect on IQ would be marginally obvious in 8"x10" and under prints or web usage but would come more into play as print size increased or cropping was required. It was good to hear that there wasn't a huge difference and my assumption was terribly in error. I know if both were sitting in the store when I went in I definitely would of bought the 55 over the 33 just out of "Minolta" habit to buy as high a model number as available ;) and would of been extremely happy as well.

Thanks again Roweraay

Terry

roweraay - do you have a way of checking if the GPS data coming off the A55 is accurate and how easily you can tell if it is locked into the right location? Any info indoors? That is the primary reason why I would get the A55 over the A33.

V

Vivek

Oh yes, the GPS!

Most Nikon cams, for example, need an external one and they (generic) cost ~150 Euros/each.:eek:

roweraay

roweraay - do you have a way of checking if the GPS data coming off the A55 is accurate and how easily you can tell if it is locked into the right location? Any info indoors? That is the primary reason why I would get the A55 over the A33.

As far as I could see, the data is dead accurate (put my Garmin 855 beside it to check). It stores the latitude/longitude and altitude. I took indoor and outdoor shots and all of them were accurately recording the GPS coordinates.

Never had a GPS-equipped camera before and this is definitely an interesting thing to have, especially when years later one wants to "map out" where one was at the time of taking the picture !:toocool:

B

Bob Yanal

Sonystyle.com informed me that they expect the a55 to arrive on Oct. 10, 2010 and that my order will ship shortly thereafter.

roweraay

BtS Roweraay bought his here in the USA last week at a MN photo store.
Yup, and they typically get Sony stuff even before B&H or even Sonystyle gets it. The 35mm f/1.8 lens (which I bought) is still listed as pre-order on both B&H and Sonystyle, along with the A55......and I got mine several days back. Just walked into the store and picked it up !

Sony has an excellent relationship with these guys, and they in turn stock a lot of high-end Sony stuff (including lenses like the CZ 24-70 f/2.8, CZ85mm, 70-400G etc).

PS: The new Sony 35mm f/1.8 ($199) has proved to be a great lens. Weighs in at 170gms and even though I dislike the performance of the "SAM" motor, the output from it is really good. The lens is punching way over its weight/price grade.

B

Bob Yanal

I had the new Nikon D7000 on order. (My current DSLR is a Nikon D40.) But I was very attracted by the Sony a55: EVF (hard to see LCD screens in sunlight), phase detection autofocus, continual autofocus during filming, and the articulating screen (at my age, I don't like kneeling down to take shots). I like the light weight of the a55 and also like its protruding viewfinder. And GPS. I also think it has a live histogram.

Have also purchased the Sony 18-250 (I travel) and the Tamron 60 mm f/2.

The Nikon looks like an excellent camera. But it's heavier than the Sony (and heavier than my D40). And the D7000 lacks an articulating screen. I'm also excited about the translucent mirror technology of the Sony. There's nothing on the Nikon that hasn't been seen on other Nikon models.

Now all I need is the camera itself!

Last edited: