Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony A55- what do you intend to do with it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A55- what do you intend to do with it?

For *still photography*, with the new fast AF features and many frames/s captures, the new A55 offers some advantage (already offered by the likes of Canon 1D MIII, etc).

Apart from the size advantage, bird photographers could use it for birds in flight shots (are there any fast/medium-fast telephoto lenses for the alpha mount?).

I am already planning a purchase of a suitable lens for my use (it will be for experimenting with the camera for non conventional use). Most likely, I will go with the Zeiss 16-80 zoom.

I am curious about what others intend to use it for (again other than for videos).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A55- what do you intend to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    For *still photography*, with the new fast AF features and many frames/s captures, the new A55 offers some advantage (already offered by the likes of Canon 1D MIII, etc).

Apart from the size advantage, bird photographers could use it for birds in flight shots (are there any fast/medium-fast telephoto lenses for the alpha mount?).

I am already planning a purchase of a suitable lens for my use (it will be for experimenting with the camera for non conventional use). Most likely, I will go with the Zeiss 16-80 zoom.

I am curious about what others intend to use it for (again other than for videos).
    Vivek,

My birding goal for A55 is to catch sparrow in flight coming towards me : in AF. I am anxious for macro use too.

I am considering 500 f4, depending on how much it will cost, and when it will come, my guess is early 2011 with A77. Nothing in fast telephoto from Sony other than 70-400G, 300 f2.8 but there are old Minolta 300 f4, 400 f4.5, 600 f4.

But the bigger thing is to be able to use it for macro videos
    I am considering birding videos with them, it is insanely fast AF.

I was wondering the other day if i could get a baseball pitch coming straight at the camera, tracked at 10 fps...

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek
    Interesting point. I actually bought an A33 today; of course I would rather have had the A55, but I have a late afternoon wedding to do on Saturday, and I wanted a backup to the A900 which would do flash (don't have a flash solution for the M9, and all else has gone).
    I also bought the 16-80 you mention.
    Only got home after dark, so I've beem messing around with it and the 50 f1.4 as well. It's really weird using an EVF (or live view) with dSLR quality autofocus.
    I've not opened the manual yet, and I rather doubt if I will, it all seems obvious and well laid out. I actually rather admired the NEX interface, but it's really sweet to go back to buttons on the outside.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oops. Didn't really answer the question.

I intend to use it together with the 16-80 as a reasonably compact and capable point and shoot and also as a backup for my A900. Same as the NEX/Gf1/EP2/G1 were intended, but didn't really deliver the goods (ie I didn't use them). At least it behaves like the A900 and uses the same lenses with quick AF.

We shall see

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I too bought a a33 today instead of waiting for the a55. After I weighed my needs and wants the a55 weighed in as an overkill for what I do. I never burst shoot, know the a33's sensor from my NEX and what it will do, don't want GPS, and could get it today instead of 3 or more weeks from now.

Vivek, I will be using the a33 for my Minolta AF zooms afield along with my NEX5 with RF legacy primes. Both these cameras with lenses attached feel lighter than my old Minolta 7D with a zoom attached. NEX/SLT combo will suit my needs afield perfectly with what I do.

Now, I just have to wait for RAW support in Aperture and CS5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I intend to use it together with the 16-80 as a reasonably compact and capable point and shoot and also as a backup for my A900. Same as the NEX/Gf1/EP2/G1 were intended, but didn't really deliver the goods (ie I didn't use them). At least it behaves like the A900 and uses the same lenses with quick AF.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I finally caved and bought an M9 a few weeks back and I've since realized that the NEX is actually better suited as a travel complement to an M8/9 than to an A850/900 (assuming one can't have a second M9) -- lens size, manual focus, the NEX body is an insurance policy with video and further tourist/anonymity capabilities to boot.

The 850 sadly must now go, but the A33/55 looks like a great backup -- similar handling and focus and the body seems a better fit for the bigger Alpha lenses.
    Last edited by MPK2010; 27th September 2010 at 13:23.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Vivek,

My birding goal for A55 is to catch sparrow in flight coming towards me : in AF. I am anxious for macro use too.

I am considering 500 f4, depending on how much it will cost, and when it will come, my guess is early 2011 with A77. Nothing in fast telephoto from Sony other than 70-400G, 300 f2.8 but there are old Minolta 300 f4, 400 f4.5, 600 f4.

But the bigger thing is to be able to use it for macro videos
    I am considering birding videos with them, it is insanely fast AF.

I was wondering the other day if i could get a baseball pitch coming straight at the camera, tracked at 10 fps...

Cheers,

N
    N, Thanks for the list of lenses. I have used the many frames/s when I got my D300 (albeit only jpegs as the RAWs were limited) and with manual focus (AF would not have worked). Not exactly a bird in flight.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

D300, 20/3.5 Ais, extension ring.

With the A55, it might be possible to do some bigger subjects using AF. I will certainly try and see if it will work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oops. Didn't really answer the question.

We shall see
    Hi Jono! Wow! I hope to hear how it works for you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Jono, I too bought a a33 today instead of waiting for the a55. After I weighed my needs and wants the a55 weighed in as an overkill for what I do. I never burst shoot, know the a33's sensor from my NEX and what it will do, don't want GPS, and could get it today instead of 3 or more weeks from now.

Vivek, I will be using the a33 for my Minolta AF zooms afield along with my NEX5 with RF legacy primes. Both these cameras with lenses attached feel lighter than my old Minolta 7D with a zoom attached. NEX/SLT combo will suit my needs afield perfectly with what I do.

Now, I just have to wait for RAW support in Aperture and CS5

Geez. Another impatient person!

Well, Jim, the A33/55 share NEX' battery.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono! Wow! I hope to hear how it works for you.
    Oh Vivek - I was happy to wait for the A55 . . . it was a bit of a panic for this wedding - if the A900 or the flash were to pack up, then I'd be . . erm . . knackered! The A33 will do the job if either breaks, but a few hours playing with it suggests that it should be pretty good as a 'point and shoot' with the 16-80, which seems like a nice lens (24-120 was always a favorite of mine).

As for the difference to the A55 - I'd like the GPS and the 16mp, but don't need the 10fps (oh no) I figured that this would do until the next generation appeared. I suspect that the difference between 14 and 16mp will be pretty small - especially at high ISO.

First impressions shooting in the kitchen is that the EVF works well in low light, and the focusing is quick and efficient.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek great shot on the bee!!!!

If I was planning on the Minolta AF zooms being used more often than the RF primes on the NEX5 then I might of waited and bought by "numbers" but, I surely saw no need for the advantages the a55 has over the a33(price difference was never a factor... their costs are so low and close to each other it didn't matter). When I was young I went for the "best". Had to have it and was never satisfied until I got it. The NEX5 taught me a valuable lesson this late in life. "Best" is whatever works for your needs and wants not all the bells and whistle you neither need or will use! The NEX5 and a33 most certainly are NOT the "best" cameras for every photographer out there but are the "best" for me at this time as carry cameras.

I am very happy ..... now I can just go back to shooting and enjoying the photographs and isn't that what it is all about?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jim.

I am also gathering bits more of information to decide what these (A33/A55) can be used for. I don't read any of the run of the mill (clueless) "reviews" online. My main interest is the liveview and the EVF. I may get rid of the pellicle mirror if I find that would serve my purpose (that means no AF at all).

Question for Jono/Jim: Where is the auto focus module located in the A33?
    Above the pellicle mirror or below it (as in a regular SLR)?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jim.

I am also gathering bits more of information to decide what these (A33/A55) can be used for. I don't read any of the run of the mill (clueless) "reviews" online. My main interest is the liveview and the EVF. I may get rid of the pellicle mirror if I find that would serve my purpose (that means no AF at all).
    Why would you want to do a thing like that? is that so that you can use a kind of inverted lens adapter?

Question for Jono/Jim: Where is the auto focus module located in the A33?
    Above the pellicle mirror or below it (as in a regular SLR)?
    I think it's below

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek - if you will stoop low enough to go to DPReview or even the Sony website, there are plenty of diagrams showing internally exactly where everything is located. I promise not to tell anyone if you type in DPRevuew to your browser.
    Last edited by Terry; 28th September 2010 at 05:45.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Vikek - if you will stoop low enough to go to DPReview ir even the Sony website, there are plenty of diagrams showing internally exactly where everything is located. I promise not to tell anyone if you type in DPRevuew to your browser.
    Thanks Terry
    Vivek - it's in the roof :

This shows the details - look if you dare!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry
    Vivek - it's in the roof :

This shows the details - look if you dare!
    Thanks, Jono!

Also, thanks for spelling the name right.

Proof that you do not need a brain the size of this Universe for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why would you want to do a thing like that? is that so that you can use a kind of inverted lens adapter?

all the best

Nothing to do with adapters, Jono.

I want a cam with liveview and EVF (currently it is a G1) so that I can make use of the sensor for my purposes (other than visible light photography).

I have to check if the liveview and the metering is through the sensor itself first. Then investigate the transmission properties of the pellicle mirror.

After that I have to decide whether to keep it as is, replace it with a more suitable one or get rid of it totally.

That is the general plan- within the confines my you know what.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sorry for the typo VIVEK. I'm out of town on an iPhone and spell check missed it as well as another typo.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jono!

Ouch . . . . I know my brain is smaller than the Universe . . . but it isn't always kind to say so

I have the advantage over Terry in that I'm typing on a keyboard rather than a screen.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sorry for the typo VIVEK. I'm out of town on an iPhone and spell check missed it as well as another typo.
    No worries, Lady.

Everyone has their own afflictions. I have a severe head cold now that reminded me of a head.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jono!

Ok, ok! I am sorry for spelling your name wrong...I have no excuses...wait was that for Terry? Did she spell it with a "c", in that case you should consider...

Oh BTW, if you are thinking of removing pellicle and going "filterless" for say UV/IR, consider A560/A580, that way even if you got rid of the mirror, you can still have contrast AF with SAM/SSM lenses. I am curious as to weather pellicle is UV pass through or not, ...

Cheers,

N

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, ok! I am sorry for spelling your name wrong...I have no excuses...wait was that for Terry? Did she spell it with a "c", in that case you should consider...
    We're all damned - whether we spelled badly, or just have small brains

Good thinking on the Contrast detection on the other cams.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh BTW, if you are thinking of removing pellicle and going "filterless" for say UV/IR, consider A560/A580, that way even if you got rid of the mirror, you can still have contrast AF with SAM/SSM lenses. I am curious as to weather pellicle is UV pass through or not, ...

Cheers,

N
    N, Now that is an easy name to spell and type.

Hi folks, no worries. My typing skills are very bad...

Jono, I think I was just serving something back to you about the brain size, IIRC. I am sure I can track the posts and quote it here but don't want to off track it even further. All in good fun. If taken offensively, I apologise.

Yes, CDAF is there. Basically, without the pellicle mirror, the A55 will morph into the NEX I would like to have. Only the size is a bit bigger and the registry different. But, I can find some lenses that would fit out of the few hundreds I have.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

N, Now that is an easy name to spell and type.

Hi folks, no worries. My typing skills are very bad...

Jono, I think I was just serving something back to you about the brain size, IIRC. I am sure I can track the posts and quote it here but don't want to off track it even further. All in good fun. If taken offensively, I apologise.

Yes, CDAF is there. Basically, without the pellicle mirror, the A55 will morph into the NEX I would like to have. Only the size is a bit bigger and the registry different. But, I can find some lenses that would fit out of the few hundreds I have.
    Not even slightly offended . . . . but always up for helping people dig holes
    Is CDAF there?
    The menu and controls are very different from the NEX.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, You tell me (CDAF there or not) looking at your camera and preferably not the review site- please.

What hole are you talking aboot?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, You tell me (CDAF there or not) looking at your camera and preferably not the review site- please.

What hole are you talking aboot?
    I think there is no CDAF

. . . . as for holes - it's an old english political joke . . . .

If you're in a hole . . . stop digging.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek -
    It is a Phase detection not CDAF camera. Live view happens from the sensor but focus is not CDAF.
    I don't understand why you won't read the tech specs on either the Sony site or the press release from a review site.

Post Thanks / Like

Another 3rd party lens option is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which of course offers constant f/2.8. I believe this should be available for around $350-400 or so, brand-new. Unlike other systems, since Sony has in-body stabilization, the lens should be stabilized on Sony bodies.

Based on the mockup shown during PMA, they will be releasing a replacement for the 16-80 before too long, alongside the A77.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post

Based on the mockup shown during PMA, they will be releasing a replacement for the 16-80 before too long, alongside the A77.
    Hmmm...the 16-80 is a Zeiss lens there was a mock-up for a new Zeiss version? I completley missed that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...the 16-80 is a Zeiss lens there was a mock-up for a new Zeiss version? I completley missed that.
    Don't know if the replacement is a Zeiss lens but they described it as "Standard zoom lens suitable for advanced model", where the "advanced model" is the upcoming A77.

They also introduced the mockup of a brand-new flash.

Picture of the mockup of the new standard zoom lens:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might be a replacement to the 18-55 which is their standard kit lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers,

N
    Terry, I missed the A560/580 mention by N and got off tracked (head cold).

BTW, the A560/580,90, etc are regular DSLRs and I have no use for them.

Also, there isn't a lens in the Sony lineup (past or present),that I know of, that would be useful for my purposes (as far as UV/IR goes). Manual focus works just fine for me.

It would be a pity to get rid of the pellicle mirror and 10 f/s fast AF but the cams are cheap enough for me to experiment with that option.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Another 3rd party lens option is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which of course offers constant f/2.8. I believe this should be available for around $350-400 or so, brand-new. Unlike other systems, since Sony has in-body stabilization, the lens should be stabilized on Sony bodies.
    Yes . . but the joys of the the 16-80 are:
    1. it's small (the tamron isn't so small)
    2. it goes all the way from 24-120 - which the tamron doesn't.
    3. it's t* coated
    I did consider the Tamron, but unfortunately it would mean I would want to carry another lens for both the wide and the telephoto end. For me at least 24-120 is a really sweet zoom range.

The new lens might be great, might be 16-80, but won't be here for a year!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with that assessment, Jono.

Zeiss it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes . . but the joys of the the 16-80 are:
    1. it's small (the tamron isn't so small)
    2. it goes all the way from 24-120 - which the tamron doesn't.
    3. it's t* coated
    I did consider the Tamron, but unfortunately it would mean I would want to carry another lens for both the wide and the telephoto end. For me at least 24-120 is a really sweet zoom range.

The new lens might be great, might be 16-80, but won't be here for a year!
    Jono, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (which I never owned) is comparable in size to the 16-80ZA (which I had in the past, when I had the A700).

The Tamron measures 74mm x 81.7mm and weighs 434gms.
    The 16-80ZA measures 72mm x 83mm and weighs 445gms.

The ZA has a larger range, while the Tamron offers constant f/2.8 throughout the range. The advantage with Sony is that the Tamron (which does not have IS in other mounts like Canon, Nikon etc) is stabilized on Sony bodies. The Tamron is around half the price of the ZA.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a replacement to the 18-55 which is their standard kit lens.
    I believe there was a rumor that this new lens is going to be a 16-80, but the difference being that 16-50 is going to be constant f/2.8 and then f/4 for the rest of the range. If so, then this could be significantly larger than the current 16-80ZA.

In addition to that, the new lens is supposed to have an in-lens motor (whether SAM or SSM is up in the air). And indications are fairly strong that the lens could arrive first quarter 2011 (along with the 500/4 and the A77).

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, A55 kits have arrived at our local premium Camera shop (who gets Sony equipment even before Sonystyle or B&H gets it) and I may be picking one up tomorrow.

The retailer has also gotten the new 35mm f/1.8 DT lens and I might pick up one of those puppies too and leave it on full-time on the A55 - especially as a travel lens.

Post Thanks / Like

I am now leaning towards getting the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM OS lens for use with the A55. The Sigma has both HSM (similar to Sony's SSM) and also Optical Stabilizaiton (usable during video shooting, with the body-based SSS turned off).

The optical in-lens stabilization is especially important for video shooting, since the body-based SSS works only for about 9 minutes before the system over-heats when shooting video.

Of course the Sigma lens has to be firmware fixed to enable shooting with the Sony A55 but hopefully the newly purchased ones will have the fix in place. It weighs about 565 gms and is slightly larger/heavier than the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (435gms) but the Tamron does not have either a built-in motor or Optical Stabilization for Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Roweraay, so now that you have one ..... How do you rate it's IQ compared to your sold NEX5? Same? Better? Noticably better? Considerably better? Worse ( I highly doubt)?

I'm sure you will give a straight up answer to this without any "new owner" hype evaluations.

As expected I see no difference between the IQ of the NEX5 and a33 using the same lens on the same shot. ( I have a advantage here because I still have both cameras) The so called light loss to the sensor of the a33/a55 is not noticable or visible me (the exposure is the same on both cameras everytime ) and is a non-issue. Plus, I can't make it "ghost" ( maybe it only happens on Halloween )
    Last edited by Jim DE; 3rd October 2010 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Roweraay, so now that you have one ..... How do you rate it's IQ compared to your sold NEX5? Same? Better? Noticably better? Considerably better? Worse ( I highly doubt)?

I'm sure you will give a straight up answer to this without any "new owner" hype evaluations.

As expected I see no difference between the IQ of the NEX5 and a33 using the same lens on the same shot. ( I have a advantage here because I still have both cameras) The so called light loss to the sensor of the a33/a55 is not noticable or visible me (the exposure is the same on both cameras everytime ) and is a non-issue. Plus, I can't make it "ghost" ( maybe it only happens on Halloween )
    I have not done an extensive test to state one way or the other but my first blush impression is that there does not seem to be any difference whatsoever, between my previous NEX5 and the A55, as far as the imaging is concerned. I have not found any "ghosting" either and considering the amount of time the internet pundits spent over discussing it, and how it would ruin the images etc., it has been an absolute non-event for me.

The A55 has an EVF (while the NEX5 did not) and a fully swiveling LCD, which IMO are pluses in its favor. It takes my A-mount lenses natively, which too is a plus, and I also like the buttons/dials.

But to be quite honest, now that they released the new firmware for the NEX, allowing assignable buttons, that removes one of my pet peeves about the NEX. I handled the new 18-200 NEX lens, and it does look to be a well made specimen. To be quite honest, I am truly tempted to go back and get a NEX5 + 18-200 lens, and be done with it, especially since some of the advantages of the A55, with respect to its 10FPS performance etc. during stills, are not something that I would ever use. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, As I stated in some other threads my NEX5 with Contax G lenses will remain my primary carry camera handling 80-90% of the shot load generally. The a33 is a light weight replacement for my Minolta 7D and will handle my fast stabilized long zoom shots and flash work photo's when or if needed. With the weight of the NEX and a33 double camera carry feels lighter than the Minolta 7D with vertical grip and long zoom alone

Though originally I was going to wait for the a55 I started to weigh my needs and wants for this second carry camera choice and with the exception of the added MP count the rest of the advantages in the a55 would never get used in my case. I was familiar with the a33's sensor and knew I like it but the 16.2 was a unknown though I was sure it too would be good but did not know just how much better. That is why I asked the IQ question of you being as you are the very first person in the states that I know who has one and who has owned the NEX5 as well.

Thank you very much for your honesty in your reply. I would of guessed the added MP effect on IQ would be marginally obvious in 8"x10" and under prints or web usage but would come more into play as print size increased or cropping was required. It was good to hear that there wasn't a huge difference and my assumption was terribly in error. I know if both were sitting in the store when I went in I definitely would of bought the 55 over the 33 just out of "Minolta" habit to buy as high a model number as available and would of been extremely happy as well.

Thanks again Roweraay

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

roweraay - do you have a way of checking if the GPS data coming off the A55 is accurate and how easily you can tell if it is locked into the right location? Any info indoors? That is the primary reason why I would get the A55 over the A33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yes, the GPS!

Most Nikon cams, for example, need an external one and they (generic) cost ~150 Euros/each.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay - do you have a way of checking if the GPS data coming off the A55 is accurate and how easily you can tell if it is locked into the right location? Any info indoors? That is the primary reason why I would get the A55 over the A33.

As far as I could see, the data is dead accurate (put my Garmin 855 beside it to check). It stores the latitude/longitude and altitude. I took indoor and outdoor shots and all of them were accurately recording the GPS coordinates.

Never had a GPS-equipped camera before and this is definitely an interesting thing to have, especially when years later one wants to "map out" where one was at the time of taking the picture !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news on GPS!

Post Thanks / Like

Great news on GPS!
    Still not available in US...must resist urge to get A33...

Bob Yanal

Sonystyle.com informed me that they expect the a55 to arrive on Oct. 10, 2010 and that my order will ship shortly thereafter.

Post Thanks / Like

BtS Roweraay bought his here in the USA last week at a MN photo store.

Post Thanks / Like

BtS Roweraay bought his here in the USA last week at a MN photo store.
    Yup, and they typically get Sony stuff even before B&H or even Sonystyle gets it. The 35mm f/1.8 lens (which I bought) is still listed as pre-order on both B&H and Sonystyle, along with the A55......and I got mine several days back. Just walked into the store and picked it up !

Sony has an excellent relationship with these guys, and they in turn stock a lot of high-end Sony stuff (including lenses like the CZ 24-70 f/2.8, CZ85mm, 70-400G etc).

PS: The new Sony 35mm f/1.8 ($199) has proved to be a great lens. Weighs in at 170gms and even though I dislike the performance of the "SAM" motor, the output from it is really good. The lens is punching way over its weight/price grade.

Bob Yanal

I had the new Nikon D7000 on order. (My current DSLR is a Nikon D40.) But I was very attracted by the Sony a55: EVF (hard to see LCD screens in sunlight), phase detection autofocus, continual autofocus during filming, and the articulating screen (at my age, I don't like kneeling down to take shots). I like the light weight of the a55 and also like its protruding viewfinder. And GPS. I also think it has a live histogram.

Have also purchased the Sony 18-250 (I travel) and the Tamron 60 mm f/2.

The Nikon looks like an excellent camera. But it's heavier than the Sony (and heavier than my D40). And the D7000 lacks an articulating screen. I'm also excited about the translucent mirror technology of the Sony. There's nothing on the Nikon that hasn't been seen on other Nikon models.

Now all I need is the camera itself!
    Last edited by Bob Yanal; 5th October 2010 at 07:24.