The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX, GF1 or what? System start.

durrIII

OK, let's hear it.....which one would you buy TODAY? And why?

I shoot mostly street and candid portraits.

thanks

V

Vivek

OK, let's hear it.....which one would you buy TODAY? And why?

I shoot mostly street and candid portraits.

thanks
Neither.

The G1 has been unparalleled IME for the very purposes you describe. I have boycotted the G2 because there isn't much more to it than the G1.

Waiting for a G3.

The NEX is totally impractical for me.

douglasf13

NEX-5 all the way. Using the tilt up screen at waist level is discrete and great for street shooting. Portrait work is fine if you don't mind hold the camera out in front of your face a bit.

MPK2010

I've used both quite a bit at this point, the GF1 more than NEX given how long they've been on the market. They both work pretty well for street shooting.

I decided to keep the NEX because the color and the flexibility of the files is more to my liking, it does somewhat better with wider M lenses, and it is smaller, but the truth is I actually prefer the handling of the GF1 and you have the option for EVF if you need it. Also, better native lenses for GF1 at this point -- if you are an autofocus person, the GF1+20mm with center-point AF set is extremely handy and fast. On the other hand, new E lenses are apparently on the way.

If you have a chance you might want to try both out in person -- one may just feel better to you. Note also that both manufacturers are innovating in this area so there is always the possibility that one system or both could deliver significant advances over the next year.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
GF1 is pretty sweet, but the NEX5 is no slouch. Don't think you'd go too far wrong with either. One big plus (IMHO) to the GF1 (or G2) *IF* you like B&W is the built-in "Dynamic" B&W 'film' setting generates incredible B&W tonality. FWIW, I dial back sharpness -1 point and contrast -1 point, and the resulting in-cam jpeg makes EXCELLENT 12x16 prints with minimal processing. Up to ISO 400 is exceptionally clean, and ISO 1600 has noise that emulates comparably pushed Tri-X pretty darn well. I shoot the G's in RAW + jpeg mode, so get both a full color raw and the mono jpeg. But since using the above Dynamic B&W settings for the jpeg, I have not even bothered opening the raw files to make a B&W...

Frank Petronio

Not Available
I like the original Pany G w 20mm, I've been using it a lot lately and while it is larger, it has a much better EVF and grip than the add-on versions for any of the small cameras.

Plus they are dirt cheap, I am getting a second one.

Next year who knows? But it will take at least that long for the Fuji to get sorted out and for maybe the other companies to introduce anything worthwhile.

But even if the next cameras are better technically, the noise characteristics of the G1 are pretty nice even if they are noisy at ISO 800-1600.