The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1/NEX-5 -- decision time

C

curious80

When you carry your GH1 setup, how much do you use your 20mm 1.7 versus 14-45mm kit lens?

Comparing the GF1 + kit lens versus NEX + kit lens, NEX is obviously superior.

However if you can live with the limitation of the prime then the GF1 + 20mm 1.7 is superior to NEX + kit zoom as far as I am concerned, and much more compact.

jonoslack

When you carry your GH1 setup, how much do you use your 20mm 1.7 versus 14-45mm kit lens?

However if you can live with the limitation of the prime then the GF1 + 20mm 1.7 is superior to NEX + kit zoom as far as I am concerned, and much more compact.
That's an interesting point.
I went through exactly that train of thought . . . but for me I wanted to use a kit lens, (If I'm using primes I'll use them on the M9) and as you say, neither kit lens is particularly good, particularly wide ranging, nor particularly small.

I've now got a little A33 (same size as the GH2) with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80, which clearly isn't pocketable, but then neither are the GF1 or the NEX with the kit lens . . . Now I have a kit lens which IS particularly good, IS particularly wide ranging . . . but still is not particularly small.

I like it!

Diane B

I've now got a little A33 (same size as the GH2) with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80, which clearly isn't pocketable, but then neither are the GF1 or the NEX with the kit lens . . . Now I have a kit lens which IS particularly good, IS particularly wide ranging . . . but still is not particularly small.

I like it!
Really?!? The Sonys just have not been in my radar at all. It makes sense for you with the A900 I know but I would have to sell 2 systems. I would be happy with GH2 size, though, but I have to admit that I've been hoping Canon would come up with a mirrorless and make my decisions down the road easier LOL. I'll never have a Leica so that's one that IS off the radar for me and I'm not going larger--though I considered it 5 years ago (times/circumstances change LOL). At least this year I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I suspect I'll need to make some kind of move within 18 mos. or so (including upgrading my 5D--or not). Going to check out that A33 size.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I'll add my .02...

My current "carry it all the time" kit is a G2 with the 14-140 and a GF1 with the 20. I also have the 14-45 kit lens which I mount on the G2 if I want a more compact package. I also keep the 7-14 in the bag.

For me, the GF1 with the 20 is almost the ideal street cam. I use it like I would an M, except it focuses itself a lot better and faster than I can focus the M :)

I almost bought the gear-queen's 20 to use on the G2, but the reality is I like having one body with a zoom so resisted.

The other point I'd like to make about the G's, is the ability to get in-camera B&W jpegs that are outstanding! I regularly print the in-cam B&W jpegs up to 12x16 without doing anything to them. (FWIW, I choose the Dynamic B&W and dial sharpness and contrast both back -1 and use that as-is.) The color ones are excellent too, (here I use standard color with a +1 sat boost) and for the most part I no longer bother to process raw files from my G's unless I get a really colorful keeper that would benefit from working up in an expanded 16-bit color space.

All offered FWIW only,

jonoslack

Really?!? The Sonys just have not been in my radar at all. It makes sense for you with the A900 I know but I would have to sell 2 systems. I would be happy with GH2 size, though, but I have to admit that I've been hoping Canon would come up with a mirrorless and make my decisions down the road easier LOL. I'll never have a Leica so that's one that IS off the radar for me and I'm not going larger--though I considered it 5 years ago (times/circumstances change LOL). At least this year I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I suspect I'll need to make some kind of move within 18 mos. or so (including upgrading my 5D--or not). Going to check out that A33 size.
Of course - as I use the A900 it does make more sense, although, to be honest, I haven't used any of the other lenses on the A33 much.
The advantage is that the new Sony sensors (NEX and A33/A55) seem to be very good all rounders (certainly better than the 12mp Panasonic sensors - it'll be interesting to see what the new G2h sensor is like).

But really, for me, what it all boiled down to is that if I'm going to use something small(ish) with a kit zoom, it MUST start at 24mm equivalent, otherwise I need to carry another wider lens with me, which rather defeats the object of a kit lens! If the Panasonic 14-140 had been a 12-120 I suspect I'd still be shooting with a similar kit to Jack's.

JCT

I'll add my .02...

My current "carry it all the time" kit is a G2 with the 14-140 and a GF1 with the 20. I also have the 14-45 kit lens which I mount on the G2 if I want a more compact package. I also keep the 7-14 in the bag.

For me, the GF1 with the 20 is almost the ideal street cam. I use it like I would an M, except it focuses itself a lot better and faster than I can focus the M :)

I almost bought the gear-queen's 20 to use on the G2, but the reality is I like having one body with a zoom so resisted.

The other point I'd like to make about the G's, is the ability to get in-camera B&W jpegs that are outstanding! I regularly print the in-cam B&W jpegs up to 12x16 without doing anything to them. (FWIW, I choose the Dynamic B&W and dial sharpness and contrast both back -1 and use that as-is.) The color ones are excellent too, (here I use standard color with a +1 sat boost) and for the most part I no longer bother to process raw files from my G's unless I get a really colorful keeper that would benefit from working up in an expanded 16-bit color space.

All offered FWIW only,
Yes! Your carry kit is almost identical to mine except I have the GH1 and G1.

And I agree 100% regarding the jpgs from the G's (esp the dynamic B&W) -- I've been very happy with them.

OK, given the nice deal at B&H I think I'm going to cave and go GF1. I already have the PenF adapter, should be a nice combo with my 38 f/1.8.

Hopelessly practical, but maybe I'll get the bug with the next version of the NEX series...

Thanks guys, as always.

Oh and speaking of thanks, Jack -- really been enjoying the Schneider SA 75mm f5.6 I picked up, I'm pretty sure you recommended that one...

best,

JT

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You're welcome JT -- and yes, the 75SA is a total sleeper and never got the accolades it deserved.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm so in the air on this. I want something small and smaller than my 7D kit but more to put in my Phase kit and also to have to just shoot some fun stuff with something in my vest pocket and yes I already HAD a GF1. No need to reply I will just keep slamming my head against the wall trying to decide. I'm good at it:banghead::banghead::banghead:

JCT

I'm so in the air on this. I want something small and smaller than my 7D kit but more to put in my Phase kit and also to have to just shoot some fun stuff with something in my vest pocket and yes I already HAD a GF1. No need to reply I will just keep slamming my head against the wall trying to decide. I'm good at it:banghead::banghead::banghead:
LOL.

Been there, done that.

In spades.

Remember, Guy, you're talking about your *fun* camera!

JT

jonoslack

:ROTFL:
I'll answer - been there, done that, have the badges - the 7d is fab, but it ain't small, and the lens selection is . . . . . . crap to be honest. (unless you use the full frame lenses, in which case you may as well have a 5d mk II)
The GF1 / NEX / G2 are all fab, but the lens selection is . . . . crap to be honest - unless you use Leica lenses, in which case why not use an M9.

I'm having fun with an A33 and the Zeiss/Sony 16-80, at least it IS fun, agile, and quick, and the results are good . . .

barjohn

If Sony came out with s high quality 24/2 pancake and an EVF it would be an unbeatable carry everywhere camera but their lens roadmap doesn't excite me so for now I use the Leica 40/2 which is incredibly sharp but no AF. The 16/2.8 is ok for interior shots where geometry is not critical but field of view is. It is too wide for most people shots and just not high enough contrast for me. I really hope the Fuji X100 lives up to the promise as it looks like it may be my carry everywhere with the Sony for use with MF lenses.

MPK2010

I went through G1 -- GH1 -- EP-1 -- GF1 -- NEX-5. I found the GF1+20 was the most consistently fun combo to use, but I got better results with GF1/GH1 + M lenses, and then better results still with NEX + M lenses, and then fell head-first into the current of logic Jono describes above.

I've since sold all but the NEX, which serves as both (i) a tiny body-only travel complement to the M and (ii) a point-and-shoot-style camera with video/zoom/etc when you're in the mood for that. It's also a fine camera in its own right if you like the shooting style with tilt-LCD and legacy primes.

Based on my use of all of these, I think your choice to swap the G1 out for the GF1, and then next year switch to NEX when the good lenses come out, is the right one. A high quality ~35/2 equiv prime and ~24-90 equiv zoom would be a big boost for the NEX system.

JCT

I went through G1 -- GH1 -- EP-1 -- GF1 -- NEX-5. I found the GF1+20 was the most consistently fun combo to use, but I got better results with GF1/GH1 + M lenses, and then better results still with NEX + M lenses, and then fell head-first into the current of logic Jono describes above.

I've since sold all but the NEX, which serves as both (i) a tiny body-only travel complement to the M and (ii) a point-and-shoot-style camera with video/zoom/etc when you're in the mood for that. It's also a fine camera in its own right if you like the shooting style with tilt-LCD and legacy primes.

Based on my use of all of these, I think your choice to swap the G1 out for the GF1, and then next year switch to NEX when the good lenses come out, is the right one. A high quality ~35/2 equiv prime and ~24-90 equiv zoom would be a big boost for the NEX system.

That camera trajectory is awfully familiar... :D (I toyed with the idea of the EP-1 last year).

I completely agree that a nice 35/2 prime and a 24-90 zoom would change the calculus. Gives me something to look forward to at least. I am somewhat envious of the M collections, I have my dad's old M3 and a couple of older M lenses (with eyes!). Just never felt it was worth it to fiddle with them on my Gs....

roweraay

I'm having fun with an A33 and the Zeiss/Sony 16-80, at least it IS fun, agile, and quick, and the results are good . . .
I bought my A55 kit and added the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 ($199) to it. The lens is a light-weight at 170gms, pairs really well with the light camera and the results are just great. Sharp from f/1.8 for almost the entire imaging field and tack-sharp, corner-to-corner, by f/4 to f/5.6, and excellent tonality and colors.

I also flipped the switch on the new Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM OS, which should get to me by Wednesday.....a 16-80 stand-in, with constant f/2.8, HSM and OS (optical Image Stabilization).

Now, why OS when used on a Sony body ? While shooting video, using the in-body stabilization will just overheat the system (in around 9 minutes the system will overheat), which is where the in-lens-OS comes in.....unless you want to use it on a tripod. When in-lens OS is employed, they recommend that the in-body SSS be turned off.

The only thing I am concerned about is Sigma's spotty quality, where getting a good specimen is a trial-and-error thing. Lately I hear things have changed for the better, at least with their professional grade "EX" lenses (the new 17-50 f/2.8 is an EX lens). We'll see.

PS: There is a Sigma advisory regarding their lenses and the A33/55 and they have fixed all of the lenses that are in the pipeline. Hopefully I will get a fixed lens, else it goes right back.

retow

I'll answer - been there, done that, have the badges - the 7d is fab, but it ain't small, and the lens selection is . . . . . . crap to be honest. (unless you use the full frame lenses, in which case you may as well have a 5d mk II)
The GF1 / NEX / G2 are all fab, but the lens selection is . . . . crap to be honest - unless you use Leica lenses, in which case why not use an M9.

Hi Jono, this A33 & Zeiss 16-80 combo sounds tempting. Would you mind sharing some pictures? How does the Zeiss compare to the "benchmark" zoom, i.e. the Oly 12-60mm?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Okay NEX5 or A33. The 7d is for work and hate it, does not make my fun category all FF lenses 17-40,85 1.8 and 135 f2 and that is all I am going to buy. One thought was when A77 comes might be a good time to switch out the 7D. But I want something now burning a hole in my Amazon account. The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.

Okay think vest pocket , car center glovebox and just sling the damn thing around my neck and hang myself. I have a GAS itch Jono . LOL

Problem is I am coming from the world of big cams so really anything smaller than a T2 Canon is okay. Which I had BTW and liked the size but FUN FUN FUN :banghead::banghead::banghead:

One thing is like to throw in my Phase bag when doing workshops for the people stuff and video. Starting with kit lens for now

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Okay NEX5 or A33. The 7d is for work and hate it, does not make my fun category all FF lenses 17-40,85 1.8 and 135 f2 and that is all I am going to buy. One thought was when A77 comes might be a good time to switch out the 7D. But I want something now burning a hole in my Amazon account. The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.

Okay think vest pocket , car center glovebox and just sling the damn thing around my neck and hang myself. I have a GAS itch Jono . LOL

Problem is I am coming from the world of big cams so really anything smaller than a T2 Canon is okay. Which I had BTW and liked the size but FUN FUN FUN :banghead::banghead::banghead:

One thing is like to throw in my Phase bag when doing workshops for the people stuff and video. Starting with kit lens for now
Guy,
The M9 looks to me to be what you are needing,
Not too small, not too large, decent glass.
Perfect for your car glovebox. I think there may be some Titanium models soon on the repo market.
Video means steadycams, dollies, crawlers, hot lights, grips, man it starts adding up fast.
-bob

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
The M9 looks to me to be what you are needing,
Not too small, not too large, decent glass.
Perfect for your car glovebox. I think there may be some Titanium models soon on the repo market.
Video means steadycams, dollies, crawlers, hot lights, grips, man it starts adding up fast.
-bob
Love one don't love the costs to get back in