Site Sponsors

Thread: GF1/NEX-5 -- decision time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1/NEX-5 -- decision time

OK, I have a feeling that I know the answer to this one, but here goes.

Currently doing all of my "light" traveling (meaning that the D700 or LF is left behind) with my GH1. Almost always travel with the 14-140 + 20 + 7-14 set. A couple of weeks ago I had a little time to escape on a business trip to Italy and actually was fine with just the GH1 + 14-45 + 20 + 7-14.

I'm really very pleased with the performance of this gear and it's great to be able to always bring a good camera even when I have to travel extremely light.

I should add, by the way, that this is a stellar travel combo with an iPad -- shoot RAW+ JPG, transfer all to iPad, keep cards as "backup" and am usually confident enough to use the iPad to cull on the road -- import directly to LR when I return. Just works great.

So here's the deal. I have a G1 and it is not seeing any action as traveling with both G1/GH1 is just bulky enough that I don't do it. So G1 is probably going to be sold off.

What I *really* want is something noticeably smaller than my GH1 that will give me better IQ than my pocket travel cam (a TZ5 that is my "beater" and looks it), and has strong low light performance. Something that I can throw in my bag if I don't want to take the GH1. I guess short tele is fine or a fast prime for a lens.

Hence my dilemma. My practical side (not to mention my better half who will not find this amusing) says to sell the G1 with it's original kit lens and replace it with the GF1 + 14-45 + EVF (current good deal at B&H for $700 total)-- marry it to my 20mm and be done with it. Cost ~ 400 net I guess.

My gearhead side with endless GAS says to sell the G1 body (keeping the 14-45 because I do like it). And buy an NEX-5 + 18-55 , and an adapter for my PenF 38 1.8. Advantage of this, besides the general joy of new gear is that the low light performance is clearly excellent and it is definitely very small. If the 16mm pancake was a little better/more practical ( I really prefer the 40-50 focal length for a fast prime) I would go with that package instead, but I think it is too limiting for a single lens. I won't calculate the cost to avoid sadness.

Opinions? And yes, I suspect the first option is a no-brainer, but figured maybe someone could convince me otherwise...

Thanks all.

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1/NEX-5 -- decision time

Good questions, JT, and no right or wrong answers. You might be interested in my recent thread that concerned my fairly similar dilemma.

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult indeed!

I own the EP2 and 2 lenses and love it. I bought the NEX5 this summer with 2 lenses (the kit) and the results are stunning. I would say technically better than the EP2, for sure at higher ISO.

BUT - I do like my EP2 more. Same might happen to you when you get the NEX5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Graham
    I've tried both combinations . . . and they both end up meaning that you need a small bag . . . and if you're going to carry a small bag . . .

Anyway, I've ended up with an A33 (couldn't get an A55 in time) with the nice Zeiss 16-80 zoom, and of course I can use all my existing Sony / Minolta A mount lenses if necessary.

What I realised is that any 28 - 90 (ish) lens is really too small a range, meaning carrying a wide and a tele to go with it. but a 24-120 equivalent is okay - and it means I don't need to carry anything else - and the user experience is so much more pleasant as well (of course that may be me).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used GF-1 before I bought the NEX-3 based on written specifications.

Both cameras are excellent. I think NEX has a lot more technically, like slightly better high ISO performance, panorama, noise elimination, and a bigger sensor with slightly more resolution.

But the 7-14mm and 14-45mm lenses of Panasonic are excellent. Sony kit lenses (I have both) are not up to that standard at all. So, I prefer to use the NEX with Leica lenses. Then you start to lose some of the technical advances.

The Camera JPG photos of the GF1 "I think" are better than the soft, lower resolution photos of NEX. But I always start from RAW, so it's not a big concern for me. But it may be important for you.

If I were you, I would keep the Panasonic lenses, and change only the camera body to GF-1. Then, Sony, with this pace would probably make a few more better firmware and lenses, and possibly cameras, and that may be the time to switch.

If you are interested to see some samples from NEX with the kit lens, you may see my post at:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19425
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wait for the Nex 7 or 11.

Post Thanks / Like

I am confused. What lenses are you using with D700? Are these really D700 with 14-140, 20/2.8, 7-14 etc
    How come an iPad being used as a backup with 64Gb? Are you shooting jpg only?
    My understanding is the upcoming CF cards this year will start from 64Gb
    I will consider having a 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8 to replace my old Nikon lenses
    I understand also that there is a possibility my Nex 5 will get an electronic adaptor to my current mechanical one for Nikon lenses

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    OK, I have a feeling that I know the answer to this one, but here goes.

Currently doing all of my "light" traveling (meaning that the D700 or LF is left behind) with my GH1. Almost always travel with the 14-140 + 20 + 7-14 set. A couple of weeks ago I had a little time to escape on a business trip to Italy and actually was fine with just the GH1 + 14-45 + 20 + 7-14.

I'm really very pleased with the performance of this gear and it's great to be able to always bring a good camera even when I have to travel extremely light.

I should add, by the way, that this is a stellar travel combo with an iPad -- shoot RAW+ JPG, transfer all to iPad, keep cards as "backup" and am usually confident enough to use the iPad to cull on the road -- import directly to LR when I return. Just works great.

So here's the deal. I have a G1 and it is not seeing any action as traveling with both G1/GH1 is just bulky enough that I don't do it. So G1 is probably going to be sold off.

What I *really* want is something noticeably smaller than my GH1 that will give me better IQ than my pocket travel cam (a TZ5 that is my "beater" and looks it), and has strong low light performance. Something that I can throw in my bag if I don't want to take the GH1. I guess short tele is fine or a fast prime for a lens.

Hence my dilemma. My practical side (not to mention my better half who will not find this amusing) says to sell the G1 with it's original kit lens and replace it with the GF1 + 14-45 + EVF (current good deal at B&H for $700 total)-- marry it to my 20mm and be done with it. Cost ~ 400 net I guess.

My gearhead side with endless GAS says to sell the G1 body (keeping the 14-45 because I do like it). And buy an NEX-5 + 18-55 , and an adapter for my PenF 38 1.8. Advantage of this, besides the general joy of new gear is that the low light performance is clearly excellent and it is definitely very small. If the 16mm pancake was a little better/more practical ( I really prefer the 40-50 focal length for a fast prime) I would go with that package instead, but I think it is too limiting for a single lens. I won't calculate the cost to avoid sadness.

Opinions? And yes, I suspect the first option is a no-brainer, but figured maybe someone could convince me otherwise...

Thanks all.

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a reason this is my favorite photo forum -- awesome, thoughtful advice. I've really gone back and forth quite a bit and that GF1 deal at B&H is quite good.

Oh Tom-- it was *your* thread that sent me down this road! I had originally figured I would just swap out for the GF1.

I must say I am a bit jealous of you guys on the all-Sony path, it really sounds nice to share lenses between the 2 systems. jonoslack, yes, that is my favorite range as well -- next purchase for the D700 is the new 24-120 (been waiting for a "good" version of that tele for YEARS).

Great points about the high quality of the Panasonic lenses that I have, I completely agree, this is something that held me back from just selling my original G1 as a kit, and picking up the NEX-5. I remain very happy with the 14-45, it fills a great niche and I don't want to give it up.

s.agar -- wonderful input, yes, it sounds like you did what I am thinking of doing. I will dig through your pics, thanks for the link.

Hah, Vivek-- as always I have been following your threads, you clearly enjoy your G system as much as I do. I, however, almost never do street shooting. but your point is well taken regarding a wait. Because yes, if the next version came in with a fast prime in a "better" focal length this would be a no-brainer.

Clarification for Mark:

No-- my D700 is my main camera and I have a very nice collection of glass for it that I have amassed over 20 years. This is my go-to camera that always goes with me on major vacations and outings. Unfortunately those are few and far between at present and I bought into the m4/3s system so that I could take a good camera with me when I travel for business. I am usually very constrained on these trips -- 2 bags max including computer, so the D700 is a no-go.

And the iPad? I always travel with this as well, in general, I do not transfer D700 shots to it unless I am curious as to how they are turning out. For the GH1 it's fantastic -- I dump the card onto the iPad (both RAW/jpg transfer, only the jpg is accessible) -- I then put the SD aside until I get home. I review, enjoy and sometimes email the pics from the ipad while I am away and also cull. At home, I attach the iPad to my Mac, import via Lightroom and I'm done -- BOTH RAW/jpg transfer from the iPad to the main machine unchanged. If all is well, the SDs are formatted for the next trip. Does this help?

Hmmmmm. Starting to feel like the GF1 is inevitable. The funny thing that is holding me back is that last year I went through a similar back and forth when I was deciding about the GH1. Was originally going to go with a G1 + GF1 pair-- went down to B&H NO LESS than 3 times ready to buy the GF1 and backed out because it felt too big. Maybe I'll have a different response in this situation.

Actually, here's a question! Anyone want to weigh in on whether there is any real difference between the two when used as a semi- point & shoot?

Funny how personal this decision can be. And somewhat frustrating!

JT
    Last edited by JCT; 3rd October 2010 at 06:06. Reason: Another question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, the 16mm isn't a bad little lens. Razor sharp in the center wide open, and acceptable in the corners at f5.6-ish. My personal go everywhere kit is the 16mm, a CV 35/1.4, and one of my various slr 50/1.4 lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JT,

I like the Sony 16mm f/2.8 lens. Even after dropping it (from about 1.5meters, it had a rubber collapsible hood on it) on a concrete floor, it works.

Only issue with that is that I find it best used with a polarizer on it.

I continue to maintain (contrary to some Sony aficionados) that NEX has to evolve from being a great sensor to a camera that would be of much use.

Hence my suggestion.

Obviously, your requirement may vary and the likings or dislikings differ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek!

Yes, as you are one of the folks who has extensively used both I have been watching your impressions. Actually, one of the earliest comments regarding the NEX-5 set me back a bit (that is is a great "digital back") and is seemingly in agreement with your appraisal that Sony has some refining to do.

Quite frankly, after the initial impressions when it was first released I dismissed the NEX-5 out of hand -- menu fiddling drives me nuts. And I certainly wouldn't make a purchase until the new firmware came out and was tested.

That is nice to hear about the 16mm (quality, not the drop -- I recently had a very expensive lens flip off my LF camera when I was in a stream, luckily I was standing to the side and managed to do a full half-gainer and save it before it hit the water, but I was pretty bruised up! My teenaged son said the sight of me fully submerged with my arm holding the lens above the water was priceless. Lucky boy that I didn't bop him with that lens after his quip).

I think in the end I will probably be conservative and flip the G1 to a GF1, a switch that will make good sense, but maybe be less "fun". I guess as soon as the holidays are over I will make yet another pilgrimage to B&H for a hands-on.

JT

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or simply buy my GF1 body only being sold at a very reasonable price and sell your G1 picking it up for not much. While the EVF on the GF1 is useful it isn't nearly as good at the G1's so not sure I would buy it immediately. I haven't put my EVF up for sale right now because I picked up an LX5 and it works on that camera (although I'm not convinced that I would use it that way.

I've figured out why between the GF1 and the NEX 5 why I enjoy shooting the NEX so much and it comes down to the way I hold it. With the NEX I generally tilt the screen upwards and hold the camera much lower instead of out in front of me. I generally hold the lens with my left hand under it.

The NEX5 won't save you much space with the kit zoom vs. the GF1. A pancake prime will. However if I had to pick one combo GF1 + 20 or NEX5 +16, the GF1 would win for me as it is more flexible. If you are happy with your GH1 kit then adding the NEX just doubles up lenses chargers etc. I added NEX because I was shooting Sony DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like

I think in the end I will probably be conservative and flip the G1 to a GF1, a switch that will make good sense, but maybe be less "fun". I guess as soon as the holidays are over I will make yet another pilgrimage to B&H for a hands-on.
    Starting from your current setup, that does seem eminently sensible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is sensible until you get into a low light situation where the NEX clearly outshines the GF1 or G1. I find the NEX with the Leica/Minolta ROKKOR 40/2 and excellent combo that produces very sharp images.

Attached is a quick snap taken of my better half in her school jersey taken in a hurry as she was off to teach and celebrate their achievement as the highest scoring school in the district. I have added a close up so you can see how sharp the lens is. This is the JPG out of the camera with only WB adjustment. I used the flash for fill as I had no time to set up lighting or anything because she was in a hurry and running late. The important thing is to see what the lens can produce on the NEX.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Starting from your current setup, that does seem eminently sensible.
    Sigh. I know. All day long I have to be "sensible". Oh well .

Yup, barjohn -- impressive. The low-light performance was definitely part of the original attraction of the NEX-5.

YIKES! Terry -- medium format?? Hah, that is probably why you like using the pseudo-waist level NEX-5 LCD. One of my favorite cameras for pure shooting is my TLR. And absolutely it makes great sense to be able to share lenses within the Sony system! Holy cow, I just saw your listing -- wow, so much nice gear. I'll chew on the GF1, I almost never buy digital cameras used, but I certainly trust you. Might be the way to go, hopefully won't be too difficult to sell the G1 body.

Oh, and Terry, I assume you know that after MF comes LF... went that way for me....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, and Terry, I assume you know that after MF comes LF... went that way for me....
    Ummmm that happened concurrently with a tech camera which I equate to LF gear.

Attachment 36087

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hah! Awesome -- it's 6x9 right? That's a great format, I've long considered getting the least expensive Ebony 6x9 to fiddle with.

That tech is the ultimate "wonks" camera -- I remember seeing one at PhotoExpo a few years back. That will be something else paired to your Cube and a great digital back. Will be a blast to wander around the Bay area with that rig.

One of my favorite things about the bigger formats is the enforced "slo-mo" approach, kind of therapeutic!

Really cool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hah! Awesome -- it's 6x9 right? That's a great format, I've long considered getting the least expensive Ebony 6x9 to fiddle with.

That tech is the ultimate "wonks" camera -- I remember seeing one at PhotoExpo a few years back. That will be something else paired to your Cube and a great digital back. Will be a blast to wander around the Bay area with that rig.

One of my favorite things about the bigger formats is the enforced "slo-mo" approach, kind of therapeutic!

Really cool.
    Which is EXACTLY why I got it. I do fast stuff with m4/3 and NEX and wanted to do more thoughtful slo-mo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why I got it. I do fast stuff with m4/3 and NEX and wanted to do more thoughtful slo-mo
    This will definitely do it -- but it's a real solitary pursuit. I can't even get my daughter to go with me when I shoot LF and she's a pretty serious film shooter!

Personally I find it to be a great way to get "alone" time. Was in Yosemite this summer with my husband and son and I was able to negotiate some nice LF time by sending them off on a fly-fishing adventure. All I have to say is "who wants to go LF shooting with me and they run off!

Enjoy that sweet gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I blame it all on Terry. Before she pronounced it I was happy being oblivious to the fact that I am a gear head. Now, I have had to face the truth and can no longer deny it. I'm like the alcoholic that was sneaking around with a bottle at work and is finally caught and has to admit what he is. My slogan/signature shall hence forth shall be IAAGH (I Am A Gear Head).
    V/r John

curious80

When you carry your GH1 setup, how much do you use your 20mm 1.7 versus 14-45mm kit lens?

Comparing the GF1 + kit lens versus NEX + kit lens, NEX is obviously superior.

However if you can live with the limitation of the prime then the GF1 + 20mm 1.7 is superior to NEX + kit zoom as far as I am concerned, and much more compact.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    When you carry your GH1 setup, how much do you use your 20mm 1.7 versus 14-45mm kit lens?

However if you can live with the limitation of the prime then the GF1 + 20mm 1.7 is superior to NEX + kit zoom as far as I am concerned, and much more compact.
    That's an interesting point.
    I went through exactly that train of thought . . . but for me I wanted to use a kit lens, (If I'm using primes I'll use them on the M9) and as you say, neither kit lens is particularly good, particularly wide ranging, nor particularly small.

I've now got a little A33 (same size as the GH2) with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80, which clearly isn't pocketable, but then neither are the GF1 or the NEX with the kit lens . . . Now I have a kit lens which IS particularly good, IS particularly wide ranging . . . but still is not particularly small.

I like it!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

I've now got a little A33 (same size as the GH2) with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80, which clearly isn't pocketable, but then neither are the GF1 or the NEX with the kit lens . . . Now I have a kit lens which IS particularly good, IS particularly wide ranging . . . but still is not particularly small.

I like it!
    Really?!? The Sonys just have not been in my radar at all. It makes sense for you with the A900 I know but I would have to sell 2 systems. I would be happy with GH2 size, though, but I have to admit that I've been hoping Canon would come up with a mirrorless and make my decisions down the road easier LOL. I'll never have a Leica so that's one that IS off the radar for me and I'm not going larger--though I considered it 5 years ago (times/circumstances change LOL). At least this year I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I suspect I'll need to make some kind of move within 18 mos. or so (including upgrading my 5D--or not). Going to check out that A33 size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll add my .02...

My current "carry it all the time" kit is a G2 with the 14-140 and a GF1 with the 20. I also have the 14-45 kit lens which I mount on the G2 if I want a more compact package. I also keep the 7-14 in the bag.

For me, the GF1 with the 20 is almost the ideal street cam. I use it like I would an M, except it focuses itself a lot better and faster than I can focus the M

I almost bought the gear-queen's 20 to use on the G2, but the reality is I like having one body with a zoom so resisted.

The other point I'd like to make about the G's, is the ability to get in-camera B&W jpegs that are outstanding! I regularly print the in-cam B&W jpegs up to 12x16 without doing anything to them. (FWIW, I choose the Dynamic B&W and dial sharpness and contrast both back -1 and use that as-is.) The color ones are excellent too, (here I use standard color with a +1 sat boost) and for the most part I no longer bother to process raw files from my G's unless I get a really colorful keeper that would benefit from working up in an expanded 16-bit color space.

All offered FWIW only,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Really?!? The Sonys just have not been in my radar at all. It makes sense for you with the A900 I know but I would have to sell 2 systems. I would be happy with GH2 size, though, but I have to admit that I've been hoping Canon would come up with a mirrorless and make my decisions down the road easier LOL. I'll never have a Leica so that's one that IS off the radar for me and I'm not going larger--though I considered it 5 years ago (times/circumstances change LOL). At least this year I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I suspect I'll need to make some kind of move within 18 mos. or so (including upgrading my 5D--or not). Going to check out that A33 size.
    Of course - as I use the A900 it does make more sense, although, to be honest, I haven't used any of the other lenses on the A33 much.
    The advantage is that the new Sony sensors (NEX and A33/A55) seem to be very good all rounders (certainly better than the 12mp Panasonic sensors - it'll be interesting to see what the new G2h sensor is like).

But really, for me, what it all boiled down to is that if I'm going to use something small(ish) with a kit zoom, it MUST start at 24mm equivalent, otherwise I need to carry another wider lens with me, which rather defeats the object of a kit lens! If the Panasonic 14-140 had been a 12-120 I suspect I'd still be shooting with a similar kit to Jack's.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I'll add my .02...

My current "carry it all the time" kit is a G2 with the 14-140 and a GF1 with the 20. I also have the 14-45 kit lens which I mount on the G2 if I want a more compact package. I also keep the 7-14 in the bag.

For me, the GF1 with the 20 is almost the ideal street cam. I use it like I would an M, except it focuses itself a lot better and faster than I can focus the M

I almost bought the gear-queen's 20 to use on the G2, but the reality is I like having one body with a zoom so resisted.

The other point I'd like to make about the G's, is the ability to get in-camera B&W jpegs that are outstanding! I regularly print the in-cam B&W jpegs up to 12x16 without doing anything to them. (FWIW, I choose the Dynamic B&W and dial sharpness and contrast both back -1 and use that as-is.) The color ones are excellent too, (here I use standard color with a +1 sat boost) and for the most part I no longer bother to process raw files from my G's unless I get a really colorful keeper that would benefit from working up in an expanded 16-bit color space.

All offered FWIW only,
    Yes! Your carry kit is almost identical to mine except I have the GH1 and G1.

And I agree 100% regarding the jpgs from the G's (esp the dynamic B&W) -- I've been very happy with them.

OK, given the nice deal at B&H I think I'm going to cave and go GF1. I already have the PenF adapter, should be a nice combo with my 38 f/1.8.

Hopelessly practical, but maybe I'll get the bug with the next version of the NEX series...

Thanks guys, as always.

Oh and speaking of thanks, Jack -- really been enjoying the Schneider SA 75mm f5.6 I picked up, I'm pretty sure you recommended that one...

best,

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're welcome JT -- and yes, the 75SA is a total sleeper and never got the accolades it deserved.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm so in the air on this. I want something small and smaller than my 7D kit but more to put in my Phase kit and also to have to just shoot some fun stuff with something in my vest pocket and yes I already HAD a GF1. No need to reply I will just keep slamming my head against the wall trying to decide. I'm good at it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm so in the air on this. I want something small and smaller than my 7D kit but more to put in my Phase kit and also to have to just shoot some fun stuff with something in my vest pocket and yes I already HAD a GF1. No need to reply I will just keep slamming my head against the wall trying to decide. I'm good at it
    LOL.

Been there, done that.

In spades.

Remember, Guy, you're talking about your *fun* camera!

JT

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll answer - been there, done that, have the badges - the 7d is fab, but it ain't small, and the lens selection is . . . . . . crap to be honest. (unless you use the full frame lenses, in which case you may as well have a 5d mk II)
    The GF1 / NEX / G2 are all fab, but the lens selection is . . . . crap to be honest - unless you use Leica lenses, in which case why not use an M9.

I'm having fun with an A33 and the Zeiss/Sony 16-80, at least it IS fun, agile, and quick, and the results are good . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

- unless you use Leica lenses, in which case why not use an M9.
    I know 7000 reasons.

I'm having fun with an A33 and the Zeiss/Sony 16-80, at least it IS fun, agile, and quick, and the results are good . . .
    Do you think this is a better combo than the Canon T2i and Tamron 17-50/2.8? Size and weight are about the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If Sony came out with s high quality 24/2 pancake and an EVF it would be an unbeatable carry everywhere camera but their lens roadmap doesn't excite me so for now I use the Leica 40/2 which is incredibly sharp but no AF. The 16/2.8 is ok for interior shots where geometry is not critical but field of view is. It is too wide for most people shots and just not high enough contrast for me. I really hope the Fuji X100 lives up to the promise as it looks like it may be my carry everywhere with the Sony for use with MF lenses.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went through G1 -- GH1 -- EP-1 -- GF1 -- NEX-5. I found the GF1+20 was the most consistently fun combo to use, but I got better results with GF1/GH1 + M lenses, and then better results still with NEX + M lenses, and then fell head-first into the current of logic Jono describes above.

I've since sold all but the NEX, which serves as both (i) a tiny body-only travel complement to the M and (ii) a point-and-shoot-style camera with video/zoom/etc when you're in the mood for that. It's also a fine camera in its own right if you like the shooting style with tilt-LCD and legacy primes.

Based on my use of all of these, I think your choice to swap the G1 out for the GF1, and then next year switch to NEX when the good lenses come out, is the right one. A high quality ~35/2 equiv prime and ~24-90 equiv zoom would be a big boost for the NEX system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MPK2010 View Post
    I went through G1 -- GH1 -- EP-1 -- GF1 -- NEX-5. I found the GF1+20 was the most consistently fun combo to use, but I got better results with GF1/GH1 + M lenses, and then better results still with NEX + M lenses, and then fell head-first into the current of logic Jono describes above.

I've since sold all but the NEX, which serves as both (i) a tiny body-only travel complement to the M and (ii) a point-and-shoot-style camera with video/zoom/etc when you're in the mood for that. It's also a fine camera in its own right if you like the shooting style with tilt-LCD and legacy primes.

Based on my use of all of these, I think your choice to swap the G1 out for the GF1, and then next year switch to NEX when the good lenses come out, is the right one. A high quality ~35/2 equiv prime and ~24-90 equiv zoom would be a big boost for the NEX system.

That camera trajectory is awfully familiar... (I toyed with the idea of the EP-1 last year).

I completely agree that a nice 35/2 prime and a 24-90 zoom would change the calculus. Gives me something to look forward to at least. I am somewhat envious of the M collections, I have my dad's old M3 and a couple of older M lenses (with eyes!). Just never felt it was worth it to fiddle with them on my Gs....

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my A55 kit and added the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 ($199) to it. The lens is a light-weight at 170gms, pairs really well with the light camera and the results are just great. Sharp from f/1.8 for almost the entire imaging field and tack-sharp, corner-to-corner, by f/4 to f/5.6, and excellent tonality and colors.

I also flipped the switch on the new Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM OS, which should get to me by Wednesday.....a 16-80 stand-in, with constant f/2.8, HSM and OS (optical Image Stabilization).

Now, why OS when used on a Sony body ? While shooting video, using the in-body stabilization will just overheat the system (in around 9 minutes the system will overheat), which is where the in-lens-OS comes in.....unless you want to use it on a tripod. When in-lens OS is employed, they recommend that the in-body SSS be turned off.

The only thing I am concerned about is Sigma's spotty quality, where getting a good specimen is a trial-and-error thing. Lately I hear things have changed for the better, at least with their professional grade "EX" lenses (the new 17-50 f/2.8 is an EX lens). We'll see.

PS: There is a Sigma advisory regarding their lenses and the A33/55 and they have fixed all of the lenses that are in the pipeline. Hopefully I will get a fixed lens, else it goes right back.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll answer - been there, done that, have the badges - the 7d is fab, but it ain't small, and the lens selection is . . . . . . crap to be honest. (unless you use the full frame lenses, in which case you may as well have a 5d mk II)
    The GF1 / NEX / G2 are all fab, but the lens selection is . . . . crap to be honest - unless you use Leica lenses, in which case why not use an M9.

Hi Jono, this A33 & Zeiss 16-80 combo sounds tempting. Would you mind sharing some pictures? How does the Zeiss compare to the "benchmark" zoom, i.e. the Oly 12-60mm?
    Last edited by retow; 5th October 2010 at 02:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay NEX5 or A33. The 7d is for work and hate it, does not make my fun category all FF lenses 17-40,85 1.8 and 135 f2 and that is all I am going to buy. One thought was when A77 comes might be a good time to switch out the 7D. But I want something now burning a hole in my Amazon account. The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.

Okay think vest pocket , car center glovebox and just sling the damn thing around my neck and hang myself. I have a GAS itch Jono . LOL

Problem is I am coming from the world of big cams so really anything smaller than a T2 Canon is okay. Which I had BTW and liked the size but FUN FUN FUN

One thing is like to throw in my Phase bag when doing workshops for the people stuff and video. Starting with kit lens for now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay NEX5 or A33. The 7d is for work and hate it, does not make my fun category all FF lenses 17-40,85 1.8 and 135 f2 and that is all I am going to buy. One thought was when A77 comes might be a good time to switch out the 7D. But I want something now burning a hole in my Amazon account. The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.

Okay think vest pocket , car center glovebox and just sling the damn thing around my neck and hang myself. I have a GAS itch Jono . LOL

Problem is I am coming from the world of big cams so really anything smaller than a T2 Canon is okay. Which I had BTW and liked the size but FUN FUN FUN

One thing is like to throw in my Phase bag when doing workshops for the people stuff and video. Starting with kit lens for now
    Guy,
    The M9 looks to me to be what you are needing,
    Not too small, not too large, decent glass.
    Perfect for your car glovebox. I think there may be some Titanium models soon on the repo market.
    Video means steadycams, dollies, crawlers, hot lights, grips, man it starts adding up fast.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 5th October 2010 at 02:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic have a LUMIX phone now.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Guy,
    The M9 looks to me to be what you are needing,
    Not too small, not too large, decent glass.
    Perfect for your car glovebox. I think there may be some Titanium models soon on the repo market.
    Video means steadycams, dollies, crawlers, hot lights, grips, man it starts adding up fast.
    -bob
    Love one don't love the costs to get back in

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Another consideration at least where you live is you need something that can stand the heat while in your car.
    I don't know how that changes things.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.
    Well, the EVF on the A33 is just fine - of course if you're going to stick on prime lenses then the NEX5 is much smaller, but if you want a zoom, then you may as well have an A33.

We did a big wedding over the weekend - dreadful light (until it got dark, when the dark was dreadful). I gave Emma the A33 with the sony/zeiss 16-80, put it on P mode, auto ISO, auto WB and just told her to snap away - two things were noticeable:

1. there was not a single shot that was technically unusable
    2. she had really good fun (and Emma does NOT take to new cameras)

For me, the NEX is really good intelligent design BUT like the GF1 and the EP, the camera really does get in the way (for me I say). The A33 just takes pictures, and in a few minutes you forget that you're using an EVF - the screen is big and bright.
    I would have waited for the A55 - but we really did need a credible backup for the Sony / Zeiss lenses, and if I'd needed to use it for that, then the results would have been fine. I don't honestly believe that the IQ is going to be worse than your 7D (if you use equivalent lenses).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono that helped.

True Bob it is blistering hot here. Would not leave in car except to travel mostly

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    On Auto ISO can you configure it for min shutter speed like Nikon? What range will auto work in. Will it allow you to go above the 1600 of the NEX?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    On Auto ISO can you configure it for min shutter speed like Nikon? What range will auto work in. Will it allow you to go above the 1600 of the NEX?
    Hi Terry - I don't think so, and no, it doesn't go above 1600 - not perfect, but in practice it did a pretty good job.

Just this guy you know

curious80

A33/A55 are certainly intriguing cameras. However from their specifications they are about the same weight as a canon T2i etc and seem to be larger than some DSLRs like pentax k-x. They certainly seem significantly deeper than GH1 like cameras.

So what advantages do you think they offer over the small dslrs? Phase detect AF during video is certainly desirable but from a pure still shooting point of view I didn't see too many reasons to prefer these over something like a T2i?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So what advantages do you think they offer over the small dslrs? Phase detect AF during video is certainly desirable but from a pure still shooting point of view I didn't see too many reasons to prefer these over something like a T2i?
    I asked the same question in a different form in another thread....

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19821

Sony advertise thusly:

Capture the decisive moment.

Change the way you shoot pictures with Sony's new Translucent Mirror Technology™ DSLR camera. The SLT-A55V α DSLR camera features professional-grade continuous shooting at 10 fps and visibly faster, more accurate focus in Live View and HD Movie modes. Compose your shots on either the LCD monitor or electronic viewfinder with 100% framing accuracy. Advanced features including Auto HDR, Sweep Panorama and 15-point Auto Focus make it dramatically easier to get the best shot.
    I look forward to any validation of these.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A33/A55 are certainly intriguing cameras. However from their specifications they are about the same weight as a canon T2i etc and seem to be larger than some DSLRs like pentax k-x. They certainly seem significantly deeper than GH1 like cameras.

EVF - completely different technology with shooting info live histogram and much brighter viewfinder than equivalent dslrs.
    Image quality is very good. Dynamic Range and high ISO
    I like Sony color
    A55 has GPS - something I've been waitng for.
    There are some shooting functions that are very useful...sweep Pano, auto HDR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the T2 while a nice cam it would not go fast at all and hit the buffer really quick. The files are okay and the noise good at 1250 but after that nothing really special, I replaced it with a 7d which is a lot better build. Also focusing was a challenge with the T2. So I am somewhat expecting the A55 to be closer to the 7D in some ways. Find out soon enough I dropped the ball on a A55 about a hour ago. Yes I am a very sick individual but I have a serious reputation around here as the king of gears sluts. And I have been slipping a little. LOL

curious80

EVF - completely different technology with shooting info live histogram and much brighter viewfinder than equivalent dslrs.
    Image quality is very good. Dynamic Range and high ISO
    I like Sony color
    A55 has GPS - something I've been waitng for.
    There are some shooting functions that are very useful...sweep Pano, auto HDR
    I guess my point was that A33/A55 do not really look like alternatives to the NEX/m43 cameras as they have the same form factor (both body and lenses) as other small DSLRs. Sure they have some nifty tricks and I will give them a good look if I am in the market for a small dslr (I have a couple of excellent minolta lenses). However from portability perspective they don't seem to add much over the existing DSLR options.