The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I think since the new breed is out we need to see images. Call this official fun image thread. I'm waiting for mine it was shipped today so we need someone to be the first image to post.

If you want to put Nex images than I think it would be awesome as well.

let it rip folks. Hope to join in the fun soon.

V

Vivek

Really odd looking flare, Jim. Is that a result of the pellicle mirror?

Jim DE

Nah, Crappy 100-300 AF Minolta lens with a B&W UV filter still on it and a 25 sec exposure at f18 with a bunch of moisture in the air (drizzling off and on). Tide was moving pretty good too.

I was doing a "ghost hunt" tonight... unsuccessfully no matter what aperture or exposure time ;)

Last edited:

Jim DE

Here's another from a series of "Ghost Hunting" shots that came up empty tonight.

Vivek, same 100-300 lens with UV filter still on it ........... 8sec at f10 (no drizzle at this time).

This was from the NEX w/a ContaxG 45mm shot from the dock below in the above a few weeks ago for sort of a cross reference ... kinda ;)

Remember .... these are "fun shots" not money shots so please keep it in perspective. No big time PP work done to either and no use of singh-ray enhancing filters. Just point and fire shots .........

Another with the same NEX set-up the same night as the other .... keep in mind both of these camera's use the same 14.2 CMOS sensor and reviewing numerous shots with the exception of lens quality issues I have not been able to see any difference in results between the two.

My "Ghost Hunting Day's" are over .... except maybe "ghost" like this:

Shot with the a33 today and cropped...

................ on with the show!!!!! ;);)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Okay I think since the new breed is out we need to see images. Call this official fun image thread. I'm waiting for mine it was shipped today so we need someone to be the first image to post.
Congratulations - I hope you'll enjoy it.

Here's one - taken by the boss (Emma) of yours truly.
This was p mode: f3.5 18mm 1/30th second ISO 400 no flash - jpg (no special HDR stuff)
It was grey outside and not too well lit inside - I just thought it managed an impossible situation pretty well.

More Later

Guy Mancuso

Here's another from a series of "Ghost Hunting" shots that came up empty tonight.

Vivek, same 100-300 lens with UV filter still on it ........... 8sec at f10 (no drizzle at this time).

This was from the NEX w/a ContaxG 45mm shot from the dock below in the above a few weeks ago for sort of a cross reference ... kinda ;)

Remember .... these are "fun shots" not money shots so please keep it in perspective. No big time PP work done to either and no use of singh-ray enhancing filters. Just point and fire shots .........

Another with the same NEX set-up the same night as the other .... keep in mind both of these camera's use the same 14.2 CMOS sensor and reviewing numerous shots with the exception of lens quality issues I have not been able to see any difference in results between the two.

My "Ghost Hunting Day's" are over .... except maybe "ghost" like this:

Shot with the a33 today and cropped...

................ on with the show!!!!! ;);)
Yes moisture in the air will cause the ghosting with lights no question. I'm impressed with the 25 seconds, I don't see any noise in it. Cool

I like the look so far of what I am seeing here. I'm being nice to the wife today to order the Zeiss 16-80. Noticed she went to Saks yesterday, that is a open door for me. LOL

peterb

Question about the camera...even with the Pellicle mirror and with an EVF is there still a 'blackout' as the shutter engages (like the Lumix cameras have)? Or is the view continuous while shooting?

Jim DE

Peter, you had me thinking on that one ;) Had to go take a shot with it. The viewfinder blacks out like a SLR.

tom in mpls

The viewfinder can be set to review the shot, just as it would appear on the back LCD, for a number of seconds. I don't think I like that, though. It's strange not to go back instantly to the subject view. It's intriguing all the things that the EVF can do.

Guy Mancuso

Tom can you set it up when eye goes to EVF it takes over and when you pull away data is on LCD. I kind of liked that on the T2

tom in mpls

Yes, it has a proximity detector to automatically switch from LCD to EVF when you put your eye up to the viewfinder and back to LCD when you look up.

jonoslack

Ho Hum
here are a few shots with the A33:

these are both at 1600 ISO with the Zeiss 16-80

These are with the Sony 70-300 - various ISO - the camera made the decision

This is with the Zeiss again:

This shot was very nearly into the early morning sunshine - I think the dynamic range is remarkable. No special HDR treatment or anything like that

N.B. I did shoot RAW+jpg, but these are all from the jpg files - Aperture is behindhand again, but I was getting just as good results from the jpgs in aperture as the RAW files in Lightroom.

A friend of mine says that the definition of good technology is:

It's not irritating

These little Sony cams certainly fulfill that criteria!

Jim DE

Guy, All I can say is I really like my a33 and it is performing actually better than expected.

AF is much faster and more accurate on these old Minolta lenses than my Minolta 7D. IQ is also better than the 7D's IQ but that was a given being as I own a NEX5 and have experienced the IQ from this sensor. The transition from the Minolta 7D to the a33 was near seamless. I have heard ergo complaints about the scroll wheels location but the 7D had one there as well (non-issue in my book).

Not that I believe camera reviews but it showed a ton about those who read them. Notice that in a small little blip of print they mention a miniscule ghosting issue and you would of thought the a33/a55 cameras were a terrorist plot to destroy photography. No mention of the huge overall favorable evaluations ..... all we heard was "ghosting" this and that. I have really tried to create single photo that exhibits it and any form that was truly a ghosting issue and not reflective light from filters or whatever. Have not had ONE ... :deadhorse:

Guy Mancuso

Yea read that also . I basically ignored the ghosting thing, yes it can happen but pretty rare and under certain conditions. I'm sitting here waiting for UPS which is like waiting too, I can't finish this sentence not forum friendly. LOL

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing.

Interesting I have a 7D here that is for event work stuff but intrigued by what you just said about the IQ. Hmmm

My other cam is of course the MF Phase kit so dabbling in this area is fun for me but if this thing can smoke the 7D and it fits me well . You never know, Canons are nice don't get me wrong but they do not turn my jets on either. BTW my decision to try this was from folks like you on my forum not somewhere else and of course the Queen Gear Diva Terry needling me. LOL

Just giving her a hard time.

Terry

Are you two (Jim and Guy) talking apples and oranges. I think there are two different 7D's that you are talking about Canon and Minolta (pre Sony).

Also, in the case of DPReview and Luminous Landscape, I believe they didn't bring up a ghosting issue becasue they didn't see one. It was others on line that were saying some of the sample issues had ghosting problems. This prompted the reviewers to go back and have another look and update their reviews to discuss the non issue.

jonoslack

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing.
I really like the 16-80, It's just the right range, and works really well.

I haven't tried the 20 2.8 on the A33 (but I do have it). the 50 1.4 does a grand job, it's a bit plasticky, but a nice lens . . . 75 1.4? didn't know about that, I want it!