The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

jonoslack

So do others but Sony makes it more cost effective. In ~2 months the A55 will be 100 Euros less than the proposed price and would be even more attractive.
Maybe, but I just checked the price of the A900, and it's higher than it was when I bought mine 2 years ago.

simonclivehughes

I've decided to return my A33 as I (and others) continue to have the temperature warning while casual shooting of stills. This simply doesn't sit well with me and I fear that over the long (or maybe even short) term, this will damage the electronics. This is not something that firmware can fix, I don't think, so my opinion is that the camera is not yet ready for prime-time.

Cheers,

monza

I have emailed our Sony rep about this, to see if he has any knowledge or info.

It could indeed be a firmware issue; it could simply be triggering the warning too early.

Hopefully the rep will have some useful info...

V

Vivek

I've decided to return my A33 as I (and others) continue to have the temperature warning while casual shooting of stills. This simply doesn't sit well with me and I fear that over the long (or maybe even short) term, this will damage the electronics. This is not something that firmware can fix, I don't think, so my opinion is that the camera is not yet ready for prime-time.

Cheers,

Realted issue but on the NEX. I have noticed NEX-5 getting noticeably warm when used for long exposures. So far, nothing has happened to it nor has it affected the images.

But, I only use the NEX very sparingly because of its limited use for me.

simonclivehughes

Realted issue but on the NEX. I have noticed NEX-5 getting noticeably warm when used for long exposures. So far, nothing has happened to it nor has it affected the images.
Vivek,

I notice the same thing on both my NEX 5s too. I think (again, just my opinion) that the metal body of the NEX 5 sinks the heat more efficiently.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

That is also my assumption, Simon.

A33 and A55- both plastic? Which isn't a bad thing as long as there are no heat related issues.

simonclivehughes

A33 and A55- both plastic? Which isn't a bad thing as long as there are no heat related issues.
Certainly the A33 is, and from what I understand, so is the A55.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want a camera that I have to keep turning off to keep it from overheating. Call me old fashioned, but this is simply not acceptable. No camera I've used to date, including shooting video on the GH1, has ever given me this issue.

Ciao,

jonoslack

Certainly the A33 is, and from what I understand, so is the A55.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want a camera that I have to keep turning off to keep it from overheating. Call me old fashioned, but this is simply not acceptable. No camera I've used to date, including shooting video on the GH1, has ever given me this issue.

Ciao,
Hi Simon - I quite agree it isn't right - but I'm not convinced it's a universal problem, and I'd suspect your camera (and maybe others too).

I had mine on contiuous AF on Sunday (warm day) it was on for 3 or 4 hours, without really going to sleep, and it didn't get warm, and there was no warning (battery from 80% to 20%)

The previous weekend we were doing a wedding, and Emma used the camera all day without any warning.

simonclivehughes

Hi Simon - I quite agree it isn't right - but I'm not convinced it's a universal problem, and I'd suspect your camera (and maybe others too).
Jono,

I quite agree that it does not appear to be universal. It's just that when the one in my universe decides to act this way, it goes back. Whereas I thought, going into this purchase, that the problem was perhaps over-blown, I now have enough personal proof that Sony have an issue that will need to be dealt with.

I may try Sony again if there is first, an acknowledgement of this issue, and second, a real, tangible fix. I don't think that "resetting the threshold" of the warning sensor will cure the root cause. The two main things that cause damage to electronics are heat and moisture.

To those (mostly on other fora) who propose that the warning system is Sony's way of handling this heat issue, I say, you're accepting a broken tool and learning to live with it. Sorry, but I expect my tools to work wherever I need them. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this has NEVER happened to me with any other camera. Ever. :eek:

Cheers,

jonoslack

Jono,

I quite agree that it does not appear to be universal. It's just that when the one in my universe decides to act this way, it goes back.
Quite Right Too - but one should always be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I haven't been aware of issues on other forums (mostly because I haven't been looking!).

Sony have shown they've been listening with the firmware updates for the NEX - I wouldn't expect an acknowledgement (hair shirts and sackcloth and ashes aren't productive on the internet) but I WOULD expect a fix, whether firmware or otherwise, public or hidden in a firmware update, and I'd be amazed if there wasn't one.

I don't believe it can be a 'structural' problem, or it would affect all cameras rather than some.
Why not get your dealer to give you a replacement for your trip, on the condition that if it does it too you can get your money back?

all the best

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

I think at this point, I'm just going to take my pair of NEX 5s with Voigtländer 21 f4, 50 f1.1 and 75 f1.8 lenses. That was my original idea, but I admit, I got caught up in the hype for the A33/55. :eek:

Ciao,

jonoslack

I think at this point, I'm just going to take my pair of NEX 5s with Voigtländer 21 f4, 50 f1.1 and 75 f1.8 lenses. That was my original idea, but I admit, I got caught up in the hype for the A33/55. :eek:

Ciao,
Fair enough - but I don't think it's hype, I'm seriously impressed with the performance, both with respect to focusing, and the Image quality . . .mind you, I do have a selection of A mount lenses to apply to the problem!

If every camera with release time glitches were abandoned, there wouldn't be many contenders left!

simonclivehughes

Fair enough - but I don't think it's hype, I'm seriously impressed with the performance, both with respect to focusing, and the Image quality . . .mind you, I do have a selection of A mount lenses to apply to the problem!

If every camera with release time glitches were abandoned, there wouldn't be many contenders left!
"Hype" was not the best word I could have used, but I meant it as "excitement", not in a derogatory manner. I also heartily agree about the IQ.

I'm not advocating a mass boycott of the camera, I know it's working well for you (and others). It's just not working for me (and others).
Since this issue happened to me personally, I felt justified in bringing to the forum members' attention. :salute:

Cheers,

Terry

I have emailed our Sony rep about this, to see if he has any knowledge or info.

It could indeed be a firmware issue; it could simply be triggering the warning too early.

Hopefully the rep will have some useful info...
Sony did put out information about it with guidelines but I thought they attributed it to video.

monza

Yes, they published some guidelines for video, including turning off steady shot to gain more video time. There shouldn't be an overheating problem when shooting stills...either the camera really is overheating for some reason, or it *thinks* it is overheating when it is not. Either way, it's not acceptable...

Terry

Yes, they published some guidelines for video, including turning off steady shot to gain more video time. There shouldn't be an overheating problem when shooting stills...either the camera really is overheating for some reason, or it *thinks* it is overheating when it is not. Either way, it's not acceptable...
Agree

Jim DE

Jono, Even though my a33 is essentially a second carry camera afield to my NEX5 I do keep it up and running for those quick distant shots with a long zoom. I too have not experienced a heat issue as yet either with feel or a in camera warning.

I have read many posts about the heating up issue primarily with the a55 (probably because there are far more using the a55 than the a33). But, it is still a non-issue with my a33 so far.

Simon, I am truly sorry yours had this issue ........ maybe a exchange for another camera my yield different results.