Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Okay I think since the new breed is out we need to see images. Call this official fun image thread. I'm waiting for mine it was shipped today so we need someone to be the first image to post.

If you want to put Nex images than I think it would be awesome as well.

let it rip folks. Hope to join in the fun soon.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

OK, I'll bite, with the NEX 5. These are shots I took in Toronto a few weeks ago using both the Sony lenses and some Voigtländer lenses.

Sony 16mm
    Attachment 36178

Sony 18-55mm
    Attachment 36180

Sony 16mm
    Attachment 36179

Voigtländer 90mm f3.5
    Attachment 36181

Voigtländer 90mm f3.5
    Attachment 36182

The last two shots are crops.
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice indeed. Thanks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I thought you wanted a33/a55 fun pics?

Here's a a33 pic from tonight

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really odd looking flare, Jim. Is that a result of the pellicle mirror?

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, Crappy 100-300 AF Minolta lens with a B&W UV filter still on it and a 25 sec exposure at f18 with a bunch of moisture in the air (drizzling off and on). Tide was moving pretty good too.

I was doing a "ghost hunt" tonight... unsuccessfully no matter what aperture or exposure time
    Last edited by Jim DE; 7th October 2010 at 00:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another from a series of "Ghost Hunting" shots that came up empty tonight.

Vivek, same 100-300 lens with UV filter still on it ........... 8sec at f10 (no drizzle at this time).

This was from the NEX w/a ContaxG 45mm shot from the dock below in the above a few weeks ago for sort of a cross reference ... kinda

Remember .... these are "fun shots" not money shots so please keep it in perspective. No big time PP work done to either and no use of singh-ray enhancing filters. Just point and fire shots .........

Another with the same NEX set-up the same night as the other .... keep in mind both of these camera's use the same 14.2 CMOS sensor and reviewing numerous shots with the exception of lens quality issues I have not been able to see any difference in results between the two.

My "Ghost Hunting Day's" are over .... except maybe "ghost" like this:

Shot with the a33 today and cropped...

................ on with the show!!!!!
    Last edited by Jim DE; 7th October 2010 at 00:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I think since the new breed is out we need to see images. Call this official fun image thread. I'm waiting for mine it was shipped today so we need someone to be the first image to post.
    Congratulations - I hope you'll enjoy it.

Here's one - taken by the boss (Emma) of yours truly.
    This was p mode: f3.5 18mm 1/30th second ISO 400 no flash - jpg (no special HDR stuff)
    It was grey outside and not too well lit inside - I just thought it managed an impossible situation pretty well.

More Later

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It did actually. Mine comes today looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Here's another from a series of "Ghost Hunting" shots that came up empty tonight.

Vivek, same 100-300 lens with UV filter still on it ........... 8sec at f10 (no drizzle at this time).

This was from the NEX w/a ContaxG 45mm shot from the dock below in the above a few weeks ago for sort of a cross reference ... kinda

Remember .... these are "fun shots" not money shots so please keep it in perspective. No big time PP work done to either and no use of singh-ray enhancing filters. Just point and fire shots .........

Another with the same NEX set-up the same night as the other .... keep in mind both of these camera's use the same 14.2 CMOS sensor and reviewing numerous shots with the exception of lens quality issues I have not been able to see any difference in results between the two.

My "Ghost Hunting Day's" are over .... except maybe "ghost" like this:

Shot with the a33 today and cropped...

................ on with the show!!!!!
    Yes moisture in the air will cause the ghosting with lights no question. I'm impressed with the 25 seconds, I don't see any noise in it. Cool

I like the look so far of what I am seeing here. I'm being nice to the wife today to order the Zeiss 16-80. Noticed she went to Saks yesterday, that is a open door for me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question about the camera...even with the Pellicle mirror and with an EVF is there still a 'blackout' as the shutter engages (like the Lumix cameras have)? Or is the view continuous while shooting?
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, you had me thinking on that one Had to go take a shot with it. The viewfinder blacks out like a SLR.

Post Thanks / Like

The viewfinder can be set to review the shot, just as it would appear on the back LCD, for a number of seconds. I don't think I like that, though. It's strange not to go back instantly to the subject view. It's intriguing all the things that the EVF can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom can you set it up when eye goes to EVF it takes over and when you pull away data is on LCD. I kind of liked that on the T2

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it has a proximity detector to automatically switch from LCD to EVF when you put your eye up to the viewfinder and back to LCD when you look up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ho Hum
    here are a few shots with the A33:

these are both at 1600 ISO with the Zeiss 16-80

These are with the Sony 70-300 - various ISO - the camera made the decision

This is with the Zeiss again:

This shot was very nearly into the early morning sunshine - I think the dynamic range is remarkable. No special HDR treatment or anything like that

N.B. I did shoot RAW+jpg, but these are all from the jpg files - Aperture is behindhand again, but I was getting just as good results from the jpgs in aperture as the RAW files in Lightroom.

A friend of mine says that the definition of good technology is:

It's not irritating

These little Sony cams certainly fulfill that criteria!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, All I can say is I really like my a33 and it is performing actually better than expected.

AF is much faster and more accurate on these old Minolta lenses than my Minolta 7D. IQ is also better than the 7D's IQ but that was a given being as I own a NEX5 and have experienced the IQ from this sensor. The transition from the Minolta 7D to the a33 was near seamless. I have heard ergo complaints about the scroll wheels location but the 7D had one there as well (non-issue in my book).

Not that I believe camera reviews but it showed a ton about those who read them. Notice that in a small little blip of print they mention a miniscule ghosting issue and you would of thought the a33/a55 cameras were a terrorist plot to destroy photography. No mention of the huge overall favorable evaluations ..... all we heard was "ghosting" this and that. I have really tried to create single photo that exhibits it and any form that was truly a ghosting issue and not reflective light from filters or whatever. Have not had ONE ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea read that also . I basically ignored the ghosting thing, yes it can happen but pretty rare and under certain conditions. I'm sitting here waiting for UPS which is like waiting too, I can't finish this sentence not forum friendly. LOL

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing.

Interesting I have a 7D here that is for event work stuff but intrigued by what you just said about the IQ. Hmmm

My other cam is of course the MF Phase kit so dabbling in this area is fun for me but if this thing can smoke the 7D and it fits me well . You never know, Canons are nice don't get me wrong but they do not turn my jets on either. BTW my decision to try this was from folks like you on my forum not somewhere else and of course the Queen Gear Diva Terry needling me. LOL

Just giving her a hard time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you two (Jim and Guy) talking apples and oranges. I think there are two different 7D's that you are talking about Canon and Minolta (pre Sony).

Also, in the case of DPReview and Luminous Landscape, I believe they didn't bring up a ghosting issue becasue they didn't see one. It was others on line that were saying some of the sample issues had ghosting problems. This prompted the reviewers to go back and have another look and update their reviews to discuss the non issue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing.
    I really like the 16-80, It's just the right range, and works really well.

I haven't tried the 20 2.8 on the A33 (but I do have it). the 50 1.4 does a grand job, it's a bit plasticky, but a nice lens . . . 75 1.4? didn't know about that, I want it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think there is a 75. I think people we talking about the 50mm on a crop sensor giving a 75mm field of view with f1.4 aperture

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes like a 75 Lux now I would kill for that look. BTW Still waiting. UPS obviously does not know how impatient I am. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Mine is the 6mp Minolta 7D ...... incase of any doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

... to order the Zeiss 16-80.
    Another option is the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX HSM OS lens. The lens comes with stabilization, which would be useful for video. Sure, the range is smaller than the 16-80 but you get HSM and constant f/2.8 in return.

I got mine yesterday and am thoroughly happy with its performance. I used to have the 16-80, back in the day when I had an A700.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing. .
    Another option, if you like a 50mm equiv FOV, is the new Sony 35mm f/1.8, which is a bit plasticky but optically really good. Costs $199, brand-new.

Have been using it on my A55.

Post Thanks / Like

Really like this picture. And considering the conditions, really great.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Congratulations - I hope you'll enjoy it.

Here's one - taken by the boss (Emma) of yours truly.
    This was p mode: f3.5 18mm 1/30th second ISO 400 no flash - jpg (no special HDR stuff)
    It was grey outside and not too well lit inside - I just thought it managed an impossible situation pretty well.

More Later

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes this image here is the kick that will make you buy one. Here is why sure the windows are blown but the back of these three young children should be MUCH darker as they are really not in any light. Sure plenty of light kicking around but this is good DR right here considering Jono and Emma are not blown out. The other shot Jono took in the morning with the leaves again same thing the leaves should be darker but we see plenty of detail. Now i shoot MF and maybe the best back there is in regards to DR rated at 12.5 stops. What I am seeing here on the A33 is damn good. I'm impressed

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I don't think there is a 75. I think people we talking about the 50mm on a crop sensor giving a 75mm field of view with f1.4 aperture
    Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor. I have adapted lenses to Nikon and Canon and there always seems to be some degree of focus error which can often negate the use of a wide aperture. This will not be an issue on the A33 and A55.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor. I have adapted lenses to Nikon and Canon and there always seems to be some degree of focus error which can often negate the use of a wide aperture. This will not be an issue on the A33 and A55.
    Guy and I were looking at a Mamiya mount yesterday. I do have a Leica R lens and it would be interesting to see it with an adapter. I would guess on some of the larger/heavier lenses the larger expected A77 camera might be a better fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    OK, I'll bite, with the NEX 5. These are shots I took in Toronto a few weeks ago using both the Sony lenses and some Voigtländer lenses.

The last two shots are crops.
    I love that last shot! Very 3-D looking. Guess I better dig out my CV 90mm and give it a try.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor.
    One would need a chip to make use of the anti shake feature, I would think.

I am not sure why anyone would want to use adapted lenses on the A33/55s though.

Fast AF is the key feature of these new cams, isn't it?

Considering the size/weight and the AF, the 35/1.8 DT looks to be the obvious choice.

It is far cheaper to buy/use a regular DSLR (Sony or whatever brand there is) to use manual focus lenses.

I have been watching the Sony A390 (it was A350 -> 380 ->390/290 now) for some special application. The prices have been falling steadily and now it is ~ 1/2 the introductory price.

Once there is a massive clearance and they start to give these away for free with a purchase of a Sony appliance, I will act.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is why sure the windows are blown but the back of these three young children should be MUCH darker as they are really not in any light. Sure plenty of light kicking around but this is good DR right here considering Jono and Emma are not blown out.
    You can't blow Emma out - no camera would dare - BUT actually, that's NOT Emma in the photo, she took the photo - my new wedding assistant.

The little Sony did really well - not much time for thinking about exposure in circumstances like that - I was shooting with the M9, and Emma with the A33. It worked well.

Here is one of Emma (my new assistant) - waiting for some more action:

this was taken with the safety camera (A900 Zeiss 24-70 with fill flash)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, would you have a picture of the A33 with the 16-80 zoom from the side/top?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Guy and I were looking at a Mamiya mount yesterday. I do have a Leica R lens and it would be interesting to see it with an adapter. I would guess on some of the larger/heavier lenses the larger expected A77 camera might be a better fit.
    I do hope it isn't larger - what on earth is the point? Unless you are going to impress people, then it needs to be D3 sized!

I was talking to another wedding photog, and he was saying that he would really like a great big mock camera into which he could fit a nice small camera!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well finally it arrived late yesterday. Okay its small and smaller than I thought it would be. Now I have sausage fingers and have to say the damn thing fits in my hand like a glove. My pinky has nothing to do but could point it out like I was drinking champagne than again maybe not. LOL

Shot a couple shots and look very promising indeed. Than i went and did all the menu stuff. Okay like everyone else a ton of stuff but one you set that up not a whole big reason to go back in except format your card. What I liked was this function button on the back that once employed it pretty much covers the gamut of useful features. Than you have some redundancy with the spin wheel ISO, WB, Drive speed and display which is nice since you don't have to go into the functions. Now I am not a big fan of bells and whistle and mostly use M and AV modes the rest to me are not need on any cam for me at least. So yes has a lot of stuff but well organized and still can be simple. Which I like that part.

As i get into it more there maybe something that bugs me which is understandable, these things are made for the masses but as long as you can turn stuff off than it's great.

The EVF is MUCH better than I thought it would be and that was the most worrisome part. I took some frames and look good but ran out of battery in a heart beat since it was only charged to maybe 15 percent and I played with the camera more than I shot and my Zeiss lens come late today also so just have the kit lens which seems okay.

But I have to take Drake my dog in for some eye surgery up where I usually go play around with anew cam. So I will take him and go sneak away for a half hour and play a little. Honestly I want the Zeiss for this stuff but will go play a little. So far I have not put it back in the box and not sure I will either . I like it
    I'm very picky about these tools so we will see how it goes but so far so good. Thanks folks for posting it has helped me look for certain things in the files. This is going to the workshop so I will have a lot of images from it to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, have a blast with it!!!! I assure you it will do what is asked of it ..... Without a hitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jim just trying to figure out turning the focusing sound Off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah found it. Bliss again

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    One would need a chip to make use of the anti shake feature, I would think.
    I think you are right, according to the Leitax website.

I am not sure why anyone would want to use adapted lenses on the A33/55s though.
    Mainly because I already have the lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I love that last shot! Very 3-D looking. Guess I better dig out my CV 90mm and give it a try.

Bill
    Thanks Bill! The CV 90mm is a great lens. I just picked up the new CV 75mm f1.8 lens and am looking forward to using that.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, How's Drake?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great his eye looks so much better. Real good looking stud now. I shot some than the Zeiss showed up. I will post the kit lens shots but very easy in the field trying to see if I like review on or not. Post some shots later but will head out with Zeiss in morning. Nice build on the Zeiss I like having 16mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I do hope it isn't larger - what on earth is the point?
    Well, there are people (definitely not me !) who like the camera to be larger sized. Based on feedback on Dyxum, these folks find a product like the A333/55 etc to be too small and don't fit well into their hands.

I personally like light and small, and the A55 fits right in.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mainly because I already have the lenses.
    Of course! I can see people buying Leica to Nikon and Leica to Sony conversion mount and switching back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I put them up on Idisk both Raws and jpegs. I think the +2 sharpening on the jpegs maybe a little much . I am going to back down to 1 for jpegs tomorrow. Thoughts on this but here

Okay I put the jpegs in the Mobile me account. Now they do have +2 sharpening which maybe a bit much. I also put all the raws in there folder 100MSDCF.

You can open the jpegs in C1 and see how I shot them.

NOW this is with the KIT lens not the new Zeiss.

Link https://public.me.com/guymancuso

Post Thanks / Like

A55, 35/1.8, ISO 100, 1/2000, AWB, sharpened a bit, resized, no other processing (from RAW)
    I tried hard to get the mandatory cat pic, but none of my cats feel like cooperating.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 8th October 2010 at 11:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW on mine they are test images so I do not care if your process and post here it is fine with me. I'm all about getting data for the forum with these. Just FYI heavy sun deep shadows.

The jpegs are a little overcooked with sharpening 2 for the jpegs. Maybe 1 or none

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the Hakuba hand grip; it works great. But 2 points to make.

1. Get out your dremel to cut off the lip.
    2. It covers the battery/SD cover, but with a quick turn of the knob it easily rotates out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking closely the kit lens is okay. Sot a few Zeiss and far better. Give it a run with the Zeiss in morning. Color is nice and DR is pretty good. Rather test harder with the Zeiss since that is what I will be using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Turns out the Zeiss rocks the house. I turned the sharpening off and just auto ISO and these scream with detail

Folder is Sony A55 Zeiss jpegs

https://public.me.com/guymancuso