Site Sponsors

Thread: SONY NEX priorities

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs down SONY NEX priorities

No urgency for an EVF and other things to make the NEX useful but they have time to offer the same old stuff in shades of pink with matching colored accessories.

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...01010/10-1012/

New Products

SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses popular with women NEX-3 [add] pink

- Release of the same color can have fun together even as fashion accessories -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONY NEX priorities

Vivek, in all honesty, if Sony offered a EVF for the NEX I personally would never buy one. I have no issues using just the LCD alone. Fact is, I prefer using it this way. Kinda like using a waist level finder on a medium format camera.

Another thing I hear some asking for is a full frame sensor which again for me would be more of a turn off than a turn on for what I want in a NEX. I don't know or care if I am in the majority or minority with how I feel but the NEX is just fine the way it is for me.

If I wanted a full frame or EVF camera there are already plenty of cameras that offer these. The NEX is unique.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 12th October 2010 at 23:56.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, I appreciate your preferences with NEX and the as supplied firmware and such.

However-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Kinda like using a waist level finder on a medium format camera.

That conjecture is way off. I am quite familiar with waist level finders (35mm to 6x6) and NEX is no match for any of those in terms of utility for me.

The NEX is unique to offer a frustrating experience of ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

Never said a match to a waist level finder as I too have experience with them on medium format cameras, I said "kinda like".

Although you obviously consider it a frustrating experience using a NEX, I personally have never shared your frustrations. I knew what it was going into buying my NEX and in accepting what it was I have no frustrations in wanting it to be or become anything other than what it is. If I wanted or expected something other than what it was I would never of bought it.

I also have a a33 that I carry for maybe 10% of my shots max that has some of the expressed wants some others have for the NEX series of cameras. I still use my NEX for the other 90% of my shots instead of the a33. Nothing wrong with what a a33 is or does, I just prefer what the NEX does for what and how I prefer to shoot afield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    No urgency for an EVF and other things to make the NEX useful but they have time to offer the same old stuff in shades of pink with matching colored accessories.

Not sure if I will buy EVF and make NEX bulkier but I agree they should look to get more important things out like good small primes. Sonystyle don't even have stock of NEX jacket cases yet. I guess these colors bring better sales to NEX than the important ones we care about.

I do miss EVF, and built-in flash in NEX but adding those to NEX makes it bulkier. So, I just got myself A55. In the next month or two I will decide which one to keep. While manual focus is fun with NEX it does take time with my eyes and the subjects get tired to wait until I am ready. With AF, it's the other way. We are ready to shoot but wait for them to be ready for the shot

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think at this point I only buy based upon what is a current spec. or what is already announced, not what they could possibly add. Like Jim, even if they came out with an EVF for the camera I don't know that I would buy it.

For me, the EVF on the E-P2, E-PL1, GF1 and even my LX5 are useful in the most difficult light where the LCD is hard to see but not the most comfortable way to use those cameras. At eye level the G1/2/GH1/A33/55 form factor seems much better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kitsVA View Post
    Sonystyle don't even have stock of NEX jacket cases yet. I guess these colors bring better sales to NEX than the important ones we care about.
    In the Panasonic m4/3 world a lot of the accessories never made it to the US and the only way to get them was through eBay.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I understand the need for an EVF. If one is wearing glasses like me, he cannot see anything clear on the wonderful LCD without those glasses only guessing, which I must admit is most times enough

So I would have voted also for a good EVF (like the Olympus one) instead od color nuances for the camera body

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty in Pink!

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    So I would have voted also for a good EVF (like the Olympus one) instead of color nuances for the camera body
    Funny how, whenever someone brings out a fancy camera, which people don't actually want (the Lieca M9 Titan comes to mind as well), those who don't want it always seem to assume that it's INSTEAD of something they DO want

Why having a pink version would slow down the development of an EVF (whether desirable or not) I really can't imagine.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course they must sell it in pink. All serious camera manufacturers make pink cameras. They simply take better photos (or... photos of cute girls with pink cameras look better )

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A pink version takes no engineering, just some new injection molding.

I am wondering if the NEX will ever have an EVF due to the A33/A55.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think there will be an E mount EVF camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    A pink version takes no engineering, just some new injection molding.

I am wondering if the NEX will ever have an EVF due to the A33/A55.
    Hi Robert
    I'm with Terry on this one - sure there will be. I can't imagine that it'll be as good as the one on the A33 - or that the focusing will be as good either. . . and I very much doubt if they'll bring out any lenses as good as the available A mount lenses - So that it's unlikely to spoil sales of the A33/A35.

It's obviously horses for courses - Jim DE is using his NEX 90% of the time. I was so impressed with the A33 I sold the NEX! Each to his own.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I like them both (NEX5 and a33) and use them for their strengths as I see them. The NEX as a universal small digital light box for all my lenses with great IQ and the a33 for fast stabilized AF shots from long zooms and flash work with also great IQ. I have great respect for both of my tools. It is just the NEX's strengths for me gets needed 90% and the a33 strengths get needed 10% in my shooting requirements.

I don't buy gear often and when I do I strongly weigh my needs and wants and marry these to how a specific product fits these requirements. I research a potential product as extensively as I can then buy it because of what it currently is. I rarely get buyers remorse and am usually pleasantly surprised by how much better the product is than was expected. I am set now for another 3-5 years for camera bodies to carry and I am VERY HAPPY!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Given the time it took Sony to make and start selling (at extra cost) body caps for NEX (available only in black color), an EVF needs all the time and resources they can muster.

bruin

It's simple, Vivek - Sony doesn't agree with you on what makes the NEX useful.

Clearly they are capable of making a E-mount body with EVF. But they chose not to for now... maybe we'll see it in the 2nd generation NEX. Personally I like the NEX-3/5 the way they are, liveview only.

But if you complain enough, maybe Sony will make one

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    But if you complain enough, maybe Sony will make one
    That is the reason for the thread.

(Jim and others like him, of course, can continue to enjoy his NEX as is.)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want to wager on this?

How about: "By March 2011, Sony will/will not release an EVF for the NEX3/5 models."

I'm putting my dollar down on NOT.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This isn't a game or something of entertainment value to me. If Sony do not come up with an EVF, I will axe the NEX.

It is not as if they have some sort of a system built around the NEX and I own all of it.

Yes, any of the future lenses (purchase) and such proposed for the NEX will have to wait along with the EVF.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This isn't a game or something of entertainment value to me. If Sony do not come up with an EVF, I will axe the NEX.
    Well Vivek - Something I'm pretty sure of about the way manufacturers view web forums (and they do view them) is that they're really turned off by critical approaches, so my feeling is that the start of this thread: criticising them for the pink NEX (which will, I'm sure, sell by the truckload, and entice lots of people who would otherwise have bought a different pink camera) . . . and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

As I say - someone will have read the start of this thread, and will have read no more.

If you started a thread saying 'the NEX is wonderful, but think how much better it would be with an excellent plugin EVF' . . .. then you might attract attention.

. . . .

Just this guy you know

curious80

Offering the camera in pick does not take any real design effort, so I am not sure why they would wait for the EVF before offering the pink version.

And in all honesty the pink version is likely to result in a higher sales boost than the EVF

Post Thanks / Like

If ones sole source of income is photography based then, weighing the needs and wants of this profession, a NEX System would not be the best of choice's for a one camera based system IMO. It is just too limited at this time.

If you are making some money at photography but have other sources of income or shooting for a specific group or purpose then I view it as entertainment with a defined purpose. In that case, a NEX System could be ones best choice or it might not be depending on needs and wants.

I take my hat off to anyone who makes all their income from still photography today ... GOD bless them! Otherwise my opinion is; have fun with what ever camera one chooses to use because it is rarely ever the camera that makes a photo special to those who view them. (unless the audience is comprised of other gear-heads )

Just my take on photography today ..... I'm just tickled "PINK" it is just fun and entertaining for me
    Last edited by Jim DE; 13th October 2010 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like

One other consideration is that here in the USA the color "pink" is symbolic of breast cancer research and support for its victims. Our professional sports teams wear small pink items as a show of support for this as in pink shoelaces, armbands, pins.... If I had a family member or close friend that was suffering with breast cancer I might be drawn to buy a pink camera in a show of support as well. I agree with Jono, they will sell quite a few of these in pink even though the rank and file photo community may find this a ridiculous concept.

Sony knows marketing and sales and do nothing without expecting a profit.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not as if they have some sort of a system built around the NEX and I own all of it.

Yes, any of the future lenses (purchase) and such proposed for the NEX will have to wait along with the EVF.
    i wouldn't hold out for an evf if i were you. sony (and most manufacturers really) like to cripple their consumer level products (which is what the NEX is) in order to force people to "step up" to more expensive products. while i doubt it would take sony any more engineering to make a clip on evf than it does to produce a new color (they already make all the parts necessary), i am not hopeful for it coming soon since it was not announced at photokina. if not having an evf is a deal breaker for you, i would probably sell and wait for a new model from sony or someone else that has one built in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    One other consideration is that here in the USA the color "pink" is symbolic of breast cancer research and support for its victims. Our professional sports teams wear small pink items as a show of support for this as in pink shoelaces, armbands, pins.... If I had a family member or close friend that was suffering with breast cancer I might be drawn to buy a pink camera in a show of support as well. I agree with Jono, they will sell quite a few of these in pink even though the rank and file photo community may find this a ridiculous concept.

Sony knows marketing and sales and do nothing without expecting a profit.
    Jim,

I am told it was released in Oct for it is breast cancer awareness month.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of public service marketing

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Pretty in Pink!

Funny how, whenever someone brings out a fancy camera, which people don't actually want (the Lieca M9 Titan comes to mind as well), those who don't want it always seem to assume that it's INSTEAD of something they DO want

Why having a pink version would slow down the development of an EVF (whether desirable or not) I really can't imagine.
    Well, I actually do not really care about the NEX, as I am just using it as a daily P&S. And I really love the M9 Titanium and see it as technology carrier for future M-digital cameras. So nothing wrong with that.

But I DO HAT PINK CAMERAS !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

BTS, See I wasn't aware of that...... makes very good PR for Sony for that reason alone. They are not anybodies dummy when it comes to marketing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Well, I actually do not really care about the NEX, as I am just using it as a daily P&S. And I really love the M9 Titanium and see it as technology carrier for future M-digital cameras. So nothing wrong with that.

But I DO HAT PINK CAMERAS !!!!
    HI Peter
    Nothing personal against the M9 Titanium, or against pink cameras come to that (especially when they're geared to coincide with breast cancer awareness). Just against the apparently commonly held idea that companies bringing out special editions stops them bringing out other things!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered one of these ... for the wifey (aka ... ME ... so it's a Black one )

The camera sounds like fun ... heck, I might even make a dollar or two off it, so I can write it off my taxes.

Betcha I can shoot some wedding stuff with it ... especially when I get the adapter so I can use the Sony 50/1.4, and they do follow through with firmware that allows AF with A mount lenses.

Time will tell.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, the AF won't work with screw drive lenses. Only SSM/SAM.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I just ordered one of these ... for the wifey (aka ... ME ... so it's a Black one )

The camera sounds like fun ... heck, I might even make a dollar or two off it, so I can write it off my taxes.

Betcha I can shoot some wedding stuff with it ... especially when I get the adapter so I can use the Sony 50/1.4, and they do follow through with firmware that allows AF with A mount lenses.

Time will tell.

-Marc
    Hi Marc

I wouldn't like to shoot wedding stuff with the NEX - either on manual or AF . . I just don't think it's quick and agile enough. . . . . . But the A33/55 is a completely different kettle of fish, and with the 50 f1.4 and that great high ISO and snappy AF it makes a splendid combination (wifey used it at the wedding last weekend!). . . . but alas, they don't make a pink one

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Marc, the AF won't work with screw drive lenses. Only SSM/SAM.
    Poop!

Well okay ... got plenty of those ... so we'll see.

Thanks,

Marc

meilicke

. . . but alas, they don't make a pink one
    Yet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc

I wouldn't like to shoot wedding stuff with the NEX - either on manual or AF . . I just don't think it's quick and agile enough. . . . . . But the A33/55 is a completely different kettle of fish, and with the 50 f1.4 and that great high ISO and snappy AF it makes a splendid combination (wifey used it at the wedding last weekend!). . . . but alas, they don't make a pink one
    Ordered on of those also (A55) ... specifically for some higher ISO stuff to compliment the A900s. Pink would have been nice, but I had to settle for black

Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Ordered on of those also (A55) ... specifically for some higher ISO stuff to compliment the A900s. Pink would have been nice, but I had to settle for black

Marc
    I'll be getting an A55 as well - I wanted a backup for the A900 in case of emergency (I only have one A900 body), and something for Emma to use for this wedding (dark / rainy / big) and the A55 wasn't available. the A33 was just set on P mode with AWB and Auto Iso (flash off)- I don't think there was a single shot which wasn't technically useable.
    At the weekend we went off to the seaside with a couple of mad (and very fast) puppies, and I just fired away on AFC with the 75-300 G (mostly at full telephoto and without a great deal of confidence) - I find it hard to believe how many of them were good.

It's a delight to have something with a large viewfinder (albeit EVF) which is small and light, fast and agile - it really doesn't get in the way.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be getting an A55 as well - I wanted a backup for the A900 in case of emergency (I only have one A900 body), and something for Emma to use for this wedding (dark / rainy / big) and the A55 wasn't available. the A33 was just set on P mode with AWB and Auto Iso (flash off)- I don't think there was a single shot which wasn't technically useable.
    At the weekend we went off to the seaside with a couple of mad (and very fast) puppies, and I just fired away on AFC with the 75-300 G (mostly at full telephoto and without a great deal of confidence) - I find it hard to believe how many of them were good.

It's a delight to have something with a large viewfinder (albeit EVF) which is small and light, fast and agile - it really doesn't get in the way.
    Thanks for the input Jono. That you seem to like it bolsters my confidence in the purchase.

The NEX is really for my wife to use for snapshots ... I'll just goof around with it, and use it on vacation.

But the A55 has more of a serious intent, especially for some available light journalistic wedding work. I kinda rushed into it because I need a camera for a second shooter to use this Sat. Might as well get something different from the standard A cameras ... I actually like the idea of a tilting LCD to do those overhead "hail Mary" type shots on the dance floor ... etc. Could be useful.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    i wouldn't hold out for an evf if i were you. sony (and most manufacturers really) like to cripple their consumer level products (which is what the NEX is) in order to force people to "step up" to more expensive products. while i doubt it would take sony any more engineering to make a clip on evf than it does to produce a new color (they already make all the parts necessary), i am not hopeful for it coming soon since it was not announced at photokina. if not having an evf is a deal breaker for you, i would probably sell and wait for a new model from sony or someone else that has one built in.
    As I pointed out here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18852

There is no need for a 14 pin connector for the peanut flash. It is not as if they had not thought of an EVF before they came out with the NEX.

..and Jono..I could not care less if Sony or XYZ want to hear complaints/requests in certain formats to act quickly.

I am aware that all the bitching and moaning about regular A mount lenses did nothing to deter them from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I pointed out here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18852

There is no need for a 14 pin connector for the peanut flash. It is not as if they had not thought of an EVF before they came out with the NEX.

..and Jono..I could not care less if Sony or XYZ want to hear complaints/requests in certain formats to act quickly.

I am aware that all the bitching and moaning about regular A mount lenses did nothing to deter them from.
    Possible flash connector info: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/nex-came...77.html#774377

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    Clearly they are capable of making a E-mount body with EVF.
    They already make an E-mount "body" with an EVF....the video camera, the NEX-VG10. They just have not modularized the EVF for usage on the NEX3/5.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the reason for the thread.
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Button assigning:

Is there exposure compensation possibility that can be assigned?

ISO, WB are fine. But for photographers, one of the most important adjustments is the exposure compensation. With NEX, you either have to go the usual menus, or select manual exposure.

It's at least more important than the flash compensation setting. If I'm not missing something, then Sony must include this in the next firmware.

Seyhun
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera already has easy exposure comp. Press down on the four way controller and exposure compensation is adjustable with the wheel. That's been there since firmware 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. Now everything is fine.

I made a few test shots today, using Zeiss 50/1.4 lens for Nikon.
    "I think" the camera JPG's improved as well, if it's not only attributable to the lens.

The JPG's were very soft in the past, wheres photos today were quite different. I'm posting a few UNRETOUCHED photos (except for cropping), taken in a dull afternoon.

I'm very happy with this combination, and in most cases, I will not use the RAW photos. It was the opposite before the firmware upgrade. (even when I had used a Summicron 35/2).

and finally, later in the afternoon,

I still think that the EVF would be a nice accessory.

Seyhun
    Facebook Page