The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manual focus without tripod

T

turtleinsea

Vivek: it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Have yiu found yourself getting better though?

Doug: will try sternum rather than hip. Makes sense! The OVF sounds interesting. It may allow me to keep the frame perspective while zooming in the manual focus confirm... All up how much did your OVF setup cost?

Monza: the live view focus is fantastic. My current full frame DSLR does not have this and for critical focus it's great.

I suppose it's unfair for me to wrong for me to whinge so early. I'll try the sternum approach and possibly the OVF (although I dint like the idea of further increasing t his setup size!)

douglasf13

I only use the OVF with zone focusing. I'm not sure it would be worth it otherwise. Really, it's probably not worth it either way, since both the Sony 16mm and the Leitz 50mm are in the neighborhood of $150- $200 a piece.

T

turtleinsea

Doug - I went into a store to look at the OVF, and I have to say that it would not suit me. Size/price!

Also, I tried the VG10 EVF and although it may be useful to some, I have to say my eyes got sore from looking through the EVF for a while. Even if NEX come with EVF, I'm not sure it will satisfy those people so used to TTL OVFs.... Based on the quality of the EVF on the VG10 (which is supposed to be very good), I'll try to adjust my shooting habit to a LCD only...

douglasf13

Yeah, the 16mm OVF is bigger than the Leitz 50mm, and it probably isn't worth the money to most. Heck, it probably isn't worth it for me, either! I really only justified buying it because I sold all of my A900 gear. Lol. I do love the Leitz VF on the camera, so far. 1:1 OVFs are fun.