The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A really nice A55 feature

Terry

Or at least a feature I like better on the A55 than the G1/G2/GH1.....

Both cameras have an automatic switch between LCD and EVF. My problem on the Panny's is that I keep the camera close to my body and I am constantly inadvertently switching back to the EVF.

On the A55, depending on what angle you have the LCD set to, the auto switch is disabled. So, when the LCD is flat like a waist level finder the auto switching between EVF and LCD is no longer active. Move the LCD to a different position (flat against the camera or straight down) and it is reactivated.

For me this is a great implementation. :thumbs:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

On my Pana G1s, when I put the LCD flat against the camera with the LCD facing the cam, the EVF kicks in.

When the LCD is positioned elsewhere and is visible, it works. One can even take self portraits looking at the live image on the LCD.

Quite a neat feature.

Terry

On my Pana G1s, when I put the LCD flat against the camera with the LCD facing the cam, the EVF kicks in.

When the LCD is positioned elsewhere and is visible, it works. One can even take self portraits looking at the live image on the LCD.

Quite a neat feature.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Think of this scenario....G series LCD open but not flat against the camera. It is off to the side and tilted up and you are using the LCD for shooting not the EVF....when you move the camera too close to your body, poof the picture goes away to the EVF and you need to move the camera further away from your body to keep the LCD active unless you turn off auto. Essentially, on the G series cameras if you have the auto LCD/EVF switching on it is active for every LCD position except folded in towards the camera. Yes, I've used it completely flipped around for self portraits.

On the other hand on the A55 when the LCD is in a position where it is pretty obvious you won't be bringing the camera to eye level the camera stops automatically switching between LCD and EVF. So for instance if you have the LCD open and the LCD is facing upwards (think 90 degree angle to the back of the camera) it won't auto switch and you can keep the camera close to your body. Think waist level non EVF street shooting.

V

Vivek

It is off to the side and tilted up and you are using the LCD for shooting not the EVF....when you move the camera too close to your body, poof the picture goes away to the EVF and you need to move the camera further away from your body to keep the LCD active unless you turn off auto.
Terry, This has been answered, see:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19044

On my G1 (I think it is similar on a GH1):

Go to custom menu, page1

LVF/LCD AUTO ->

set it to OFF

(from ON)

That should deactivate the proximity sensor.
Think waist level non EVF street shooting.
This, I have no clue about at all.:ROTFL:

Someone made me look up what "sternum" was and unbeknown to me I had been shooting (G1/LCD)at that level as well.:)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

Terry

Vivek, you've missed my whole point. The point was with the Sony I don't need to go in and disable it like you do on the Panasonic.

The whole point of the thread was that camera uses the LCD positioning to determine if the auto switching (proximity sensor) should be on or off and it works well.

monza

Terry, this is a nice feature. I definitely noticed this on my G1 and GH1. The proximity sensor would assume your eye was at the EVF, when the camera was maybe 12 inches below. :) The first time this happened, it took me a while to figure it out.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Terry, this is a nice feature. I definitely noticed this on my G1 and GH1. The proximity sensor would assume your eye was at the EVF, when the camera was maybe 12 inches below. :) The first time this happened, it took me a while to figure it out.
Thanks for explaining that Terry and Monza - I thought I had a bad connection in the LCD wiring

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes, I immediatly understood what you mean. One of the few irritating things of The G1
For instance; put your camera on the floor of a cathedral to take a photo of the cealing, with the LCD flipped out facing upward, there is no image because the LCD is automaticly deactivated by the floor.
With no autofocus lenses this is a pain.

Michiel

V

Vivek

It isn't difficult to turn the proximity sensor off in a G1 or the like cams. It is a one off thing...

Terry

It isn't difficult to turn the proximity sensor off in a G1 or the like cams. It is a one off thing...
If you want to keep it disabled it is a one off thing. I prefer having it switch back and forth. I like having it intelligently switch back and forth even better.

V

Vivek

I still can not understand (from a practical point of view, that is) what the problem is with the G1 with its proximity sensor turned off? :confused:

I want my tools to behave in an expected fashion and with no extra intelligence.

Terry

I still can not understand (from a practical point of view, that is) what the problem is with the G1 with its proximity sensor turned off? :confused:

I want my tools to behave in an expected fashion and with no extra intelligence.
Vivek the purpose of the proximity sensor is for the camera to switch back and forth between the LCD and the EVF when you bring the camera to eye level without having to push a button. I don't know anyone who doesn't think this can be useful. The problem with the G series cameras is the proximity sensor doesn't know if the camera is near your face, your stomach, a brick wall or the floor. Get it close to something and it switches. That has forced a number of people including you to simply turn it off.

The implementation on the Sony is done differently. If you have the screen in a position where you are likely to be switching between eye level and LCD viewing, the proximity sensor works and the switching is automatic. If you have the screen in a position that would not lend itself to the user going back and forth between eye level and LCD the camera doesn't activate the proximity sensor. Once as a user you understand when the sensor will be active and when it won't be, it is a very powerful tool and a very nice feature that does not need to be turned off.

So, in short both cameras have proximity sensors. Those sensors work differently. You don't seem to like the way the Panasonic works and have turned it off. I am simply telling people how the Sony works and that in my opinion the implementation is good enough that I am not tempted to turn it off.

I don't think I can possibly explain it any more thoroughly or clearly than I have tried. Either at this point you get what I'm trying to say or you don't. Clearly others on this thread are understanding the point I'm trying to make.

V

Vivek

Terry, It is clear that I do not have any use for the proximity sensor at all.:)

For that matter, I don't see much use for AF either. I may be a luddite but I can be convinced to change these ideas if/when such features are proven to be critically useful in getting a shot.

Michiel Schierbeek

Yeah, silly me, never even looked at that little button right there....... :(
It wasn't needed very often, but still.
Only very minor bothering thing is every time you lift the body you have to switch it of again.