The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW Converter for Sony A55

Martin S

Any suggestions??? I have a power PC MAC Pro, and don't want to upgrade to an Intel based IMAC at present.

The Sony software works, but it is slow, and not very well designed. I'd much prefer the Adobe RAW Converter/Photoshop CS5 but with my present computer that is not possible.

I tried RPP, Rawker, and RAW Developer, but these have not yet been upgraded for the A55.

Any suggestions????

Thanks.

Martin

iiiNelson

Wait awhile to see if they will upgrade since they're new, use the Sony software, or buy new equipment...

H

hardloaf

Martin,

Actually RPP supports A55/A33 since version 4.1.7. Current is 4.1.8.

dhsimmonds

It's usually a race between Adobe and Capture One to put the latest cams out as an update. I haven't seen any update to either yet.

douglasf13

If absolute IQ is a priority over workflow speed, RPP is certainly tops. I often use LR3 in combination with it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's usually a race between Adobe and Capture One to put the latest cams out as an update. I haven't seen any update to either yet.
I am not sure if C1 is still in the race - the NEX3 and 5 are out now since almost 6 months and C1 does still not support them :mad:

One of the reasons I started with LR3.2 again and I am starting to love it again. Will also support my S2 files seamlessly :)

Martin S

Thanks hardloaf.

Just downloaded RPP version 4.1.8 and it works fine. Great conversion to tiff from RAW.

The interface takes a little bit of getting used to as compared to the Adobe conversion software, but it seems to be worth it.

Thanks again for the info.

Martin

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just downloaded and installed C1 Pro 5.2.1 - latest revision which just came out ....

STILL NO SONY NEX SUPPORT !!!!

Come on Phase, it cannot be so hard ........

Godfrey

Any suggestions??? I have a power PC MAC Pro..
I know it's a nitpicky side comment, but you can't have a "PowerPC Mac Pro". All Apple Mac Pro systems have Intel processors. You must have a PowerMac G5, if the enclosure looks like a Mac Pro.

I sold my PowerMac G5 for a current Apple Mac Mini with Intel Core Duo 2 2.66Ghz processor, 8G RAM and 500G internal drive, using my existing Cinema Display, keyboard, mouse, and all my other peripherals. Best thing I've done for image processing in a while: runs the latest Mac OS X and application SW far faster than the G5 with similar specs did, takes up a tenth the space in my office and is virtually silent. With selling the G5 contributing to the funding, the upgrade cost me a total of $500. A win situation.

Martin S

Thanks Godfrey for the model name clarification.

I thought about the Mac Mini, but was concerned about the speed.

It seems that you are satisfied with the speed.

Martin

Godfrey

... I thought about the Mac Mini, but was concerned about the speed.
It seems that you are satisfied with the speed.
You're welcome. :)

I was concerned before I bought it, but I needed to update for compatibility reasons with LR3 and development software for some projects I'm working on which drove the purchase. It was the least expensive way to get there and provides a significant boost in performance over the G5 as well. Since I was not unhappy with the G5 performance, it's all a plus to me.

Of course, there are faster machines. The newer iMac are faster, the latest laptops are faster, and the Mac Pros are certainly a LOT faster. Professional video editing is a whole 'nother ball of wax. But my most compute-intensive tasks are still photography work with 5 to 12 Mpixel raw files ... sometimes a couple hundred at a time for event gigs. The Mini's performance is quite satisfactory and does not negatively impact my productivity.