The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried the Sony NEX VCL-ECU1?

V

Vivek

The wide conversion lens from Sony for the 16mm lens.

According to Sony:

Increase your creative vision with a choice of ultra-wide angle and fisheye conversion lenses for your NEX-5/NEX-3 camera. Attaching in moments to the camera’s standard 16mm F2.8 ‘pancake’ lens, both convertors increase your field of view without compromising optical performance.
Features VCL-ECU1

* Adaptor for E16mm F2.8 pancake lens provides ultra-wide field of view
* Sleek, high quality design
* Easy-attach bayonet mechanism with lock for quick, secure fit
* High definition optics for uncompromised imaging performance

Please be aware that the features/specifications can differ from country to country.

Jim DE

No but I do own the Fisheye and it's results when attached to my 16mm are far better than I expected from a aux lens.

douglasf13

I believe that the wide conversion attachment has been delayed. I'm not sure that I've seen anyone comment on it, yet.

Jim DE

Douglas, I recall seeing a post on another NEX forum from someone in Japan with pics posted from one back in late July or August. I could be wrong on this but I really think there was one.

monza

We have been unable to order them, they aren't available to even place a back-order on our usual ordering site.

V

Vivek

I am very curious because the triplet derivative, the 16/2.8 lens, already is struggling as is..

.. what does "without compromising optical performance" means in Sonyspeak?

V

Vivek

Hi Jerry, Thanks for the link.

Sony clearly are lying when they claim "both convertors increase your field of view without compromising optical performance."

Jerry_R

Clear marketing.

Also FYI - I tested NEX + Sigma 8-16m vs Lumix 7-14.
I had to close Sigma to f/8 - f/11 to achieve sharpness of small Lumix, and even with NEX sensor it never gave more details than Lumix at f/4 - f/5.6.

Jerry_R

"both convertors increase your field of view without compromising optical performance."
I think Sony is addressing most of their adverts to photo newbies. Probably coming from P&S area.

With time - I stopped to believe in all we hear, for example when new camera or lens model is released.
In words like - super hiper intelligent resolution, etc.
In fact - no matter which producer is it!
:deadhorse:

But must confess - all I saw and read about X100 - forced me to stop and think.
If all they say will be delivered - I will open my pocket :)