The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is that the new A77 ?

jonoslack

Having used the A33 for a few weeks, that sounds like a functional and enticing camera . . . .looks a bit big though :(

dhsimmonds

This looks very promising....bigger the better Jono! Just hope that it is a big enough platform for the 70/400G and even bigger lenses to come!

24mpx packed into an APC-C sized sensor if ir produced images without too much noise will be sensational! Imagine what the A99 might provide?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looks like a really cool camera!

Any ideas of what Sony is going to do in the FF arena?

Will they bring cameras?

How many MPs will these have given the possibilities in APSC size this should result in around 40MPs?

Will a FF Sony DSLR also use translucent mirror?

I think such a beast would really start to canibalize the MF market seriously ;)

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

i have read all sorts of rumours about the mpx count of the FF replacement for the A900 from 40 to 50mpx! Neither of which would surprise me. Sony now have a good handle on noise control in their latest high ISO capability sensors so a higher pixel density is quite possible.

In fact I was looking at replacing my old Leica R9/DMR kit with a MF kit when the 24.8 mpx FF A900 was introduced...so I bought one and kept it! Never did since then feel the need to go MF. MF sensors then were about 22mpx or some at 30 mpx!

Should Sony realise a 50 Mpx FF sensor then that would definitely eat into MF territory with all the advantages of longer lens capability that the FF DSLR offers with very few disadvantages.

However mpx isn't the end all and be all and I doubt if the smaller sensor size of the DSR will ever replicate the "look" of an image captured with MF.

So don't sell your S2 yet Peter!

M

meilicke

While I doubt i will ever go MF, I am delighted to benefit from the trickle down technology in the form of less expensive, smaller, an higher performing cameras. :)

Scott

iiiNelson

While I doubt i will ever go MF, I am delighted to benefit from the trickle down technology in the form of less expensive, smaller, an higher performing cameras. :)

Scott
+1... Although I need to stay out the MF Forum picture threads because it puts "bad" ideas in my head.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So don't sell your S2 yet Peter!
Well, I still have the H3D39 :rolleyes: not so easy to sell in these day's.

The longer I think about my style of photography I come to following conclusions:

1) Landscape + architecture: a good MFDB like P65+ and a tech camera (maybe Arca) would be the best solution

2) Portraits, available light, wildlife: still have the Nikon and like it, but I get more and more the feeling that Sony is the real driving kid on the game in DSLRs. Maybe with a Sony FF around 40MP that could replace any MF system for me

So I definitely will wait before I invest in the S2 :)