Site Sponsors

Thread: BAD!!!! noise in mf screen image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BAD!!!! noise in mf screen image

I was out comparing the two 35-70 lenses today and when I finished with the Leica I looked into the viewfinder in magnified view and the image was swimming with red dots, bad enough that I couldn't focus. I turned the camera off and on a couple of times to no avail.

Since the first thing that occurred to me was heat I stopped and took the camera inside and let it cool off. About 1/2 hour later I took it back out and decided to start again since I wanted a little different testbed image. Unfortunately the red dots were still having a pool party so i guess it wasn't heat after all.

I then formatted the card because I wanted to start over and the red dots disappeared. Up to now they haven't come back and I used the camera for about 85 shots after the format without further issues.

I should mention it was also somewhat rainy, very little but the camera did have raindrops on it. I sort of doubt that this was the cause but I guess it is possible.

Mike

Anyone else seen this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BAD!!!! noise in mf screen image

only if i'm shooting at night and have the lens stopped down to f/11, that's pretty weird sounding.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,

I have seen the heating but NEVER any extra noise or red blobs. I use only one adapter (RJ c-mount) that also acts as a Olympus pen F adapter after a modification. This is anodized aluminum. No possibility with the electrical contacts in the cam.

I suspect it is your adapter.

Can you post a shot of the (rear) of the adapter or give a link?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek,

I was using the Sony Alpha adapter but with a chipped manual lens.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Mike,

I have seen the heating but NEVER any extra noise or red blobs. I use only one adapter (RJ c-mount) that also acts as a Olympus pen F adapter after a modification. This is anodized aluminum. No possibility with the electrical contacts in the cam.

I suspect it is your adapter.

Can you post a shot of the (rear) of the adapter or give a link?

tigertimb

Apologies if this is a little too obvious; but I had exactly similar problems with mine and confess that it had me stumped for a while, until I realised that I'd accidently knocked the aperture to f22 when swapping lenses on the adaptor.
    The screen gains up nicely to still give a fairly bright image, so the dancing red noise dots is the only clue.
    I was obviously just being an idiot, but you could also get a similar result if the blades are sticking

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tigertimb View Post
    Apologies if this is a little too obvious; but I had exactly similar problems with mine and confess that it had me stumped for a while, until I realised that I'd accidently knocked the aperture to f22 when swapping lenses on the adaptor.
    The screen gains up nicely to still give a fairly bright image, so the dancing red noise dots is the only clue.
    I was obviously just being an idiot, but you could also get a similar result if the blades are sticking
    Hmmm, maybe something like that was in effect. I don't recall but it might have been. Since it was a manual lens there is no way to see that info in the viewfinder/LCD. It does make sense.

thanks,

Mike