The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens recommendations for NEX-5?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy I just though about it some more and another way that would work is if you owned a Kipon adapter for every lens and mounted lens plus adapter at every lens change.
I was just answering the question. I have no interest in zone focusing the NEX, but you are right. If someone wants to use the NEX for zone focus, they should have a dedicated adapter for the zone focus lens.

Jim DE

Monza, With the 28 I do mostly landscapes and usually shoot at the smallest aperture so the issues with the 28 on the NEX are really a non-issue for me in this application. The 45 I use for most applications at all apertures but at a perspective of 67mm there are times I need the 42mm perspective (ideally I would like a prime with a 28mm perspective instead but Zeiss has not come to the pump for this as yet as we all know) the 28 Contax allows me.

The 35 on the Contax with color positive film no matter what the aperture seemed to lack ( for lack of a better word) the visual depth, clarity, and pop of the other primes in the series. There was IMO just no "work around" these issues.

sebboh

i'm still trying to round out my lens selection myself for my NEX, so i thought i might hijack this thread to ask a related question. i'm trying to decide on a longish portrait lens ~135mm equiv. the options i'm considering right now are (in order of my current preference): nikkor 8.5cm f/2 PC (s mount or ltm), contax g 90 f/2.8, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokkor MD 85mm f/2, zuiko OM 85mm f/2, or older leica m-mount 90mm summicron.

does anybody have any opinions on these lenses in general or in relation to there use on the NEX specifically? my personal thoughts are that the slr lenses will be a bit awkwardly large, the contax a bit slower than i'd like, and the leica a bit more expensive then i'd like. hence i'm currently leaning towards the nikkor, but haven't seen a lot of samples from it.

monza

Sebboh, having owned the 85 Nikkor, the Contax G 90, and various 90/2.8 Tele Elmarits, Elmarits, and 90/2 Summicrons....first, they are all very good to excellent performers. I've always liked how the 85/2 Nikkor draws (it is a Sonnar design like the Contax G, but 50 years older) but it is heavy in chrome and pricey in black; both versions have very long focus throws. The aperture ring turns when focusing. The 90/2 Summicron is also a relative heavyweight. I've heard good things about the 85/2 Zuiko but have never used it so I can't comment on the performance.

Depending on your budget you may consider the 70/2 Olympus Pen although that would be a 105mm equivalent as opposed to 135mm and prices tend to be higher due to collectors. It's small and light. I was very pleased with the 70mm on micro 4/3.

My preference would be the Contax G or the 90/2.8 Tele Elmarit (thin) as they are both lightweight and should be a good match for the small NEX body. I would sacrifice f/2 in favor of the smaller f/2.8s.

douglasf13

My Kipon adapter has a silver focus ring. I see no reason why you couldn't mark distances on the ring if you want to scale focus.
I just tried focusing on a distant object, marking the ring, focusing near and moving back to the mark. The far object was spot-on in focus. You could use a sharpie or engrave the ring. I would test this out with a pencil and make sure that taking the adapter on and off doesn't change anything.
Well, you convinced me! :thumbup: I just ordered the 35/2, and, when I have some time around here (once everything arrives,) I'll try to post a comparison between the Contax 35, CV 35/1.4 and MS Optical Perar Triplet 35/3.5.

V

Vivek

Douglas, The Perar 35/3.5 is a triplet derivative and isn't a simple triplet. It is most likely a heliar and is similar to the Olympus pen F 38/2.8 and the Sony 16/2.8 (as well as the Samsung 30/2).

Sebboh, If you already have a NEX to Pen F adapter, instead of spending more cash (they aren't cheap, AFAIK) on another adapter, consider something from the pen F line. The 70/2 or the 100/3.5 both are good candidates.

I use several lenses but am in the process of finalizing my own preferences while starting another project. So, I can't give any more specifics at this point.

Jim DE

Douglas you must of bought that one on KEH ;) I just checked and it is no longer listed and was there last night.

You see how all the Contax G lenses have jumped in price since the introduction of the NEX. I found it amusing that the 35mm in EX- condition was cheaper than the 45 and 28 in like condition once again. I guess KEH doesn't read this board ;) Also, did you notice just how few Contax G lenses were listed there anymore? 1-16 (i wish I would of bought that 16 I could of had for $600 a few years back - I could double or triple my money), 2-21's, 1-28, and 1-45. I can remember when that site had 20 lenses at a time listed for Contax G's.

On Ebay I saw one in the mid 3's (which appears to have dust inside the lens) and two others at 500 and 600 and these were all three used lenses. These two unreasonably higher priced ones were both from Germany: guess they don't know what they are going for over here.

monza

You aren't kidding. :) B&H used to have lots of the 90mm Contax G in 9+ condition for ~$100, the 45s for ~$150. As for the 35, you're definitely helping to keep it in the sleeper category. :)

Same thing happened with Pen lenses last year...

Jim DE

Monza...... just trying to help the economically challenged (like me ;) )to be able to afford terrific Zeiss quality lenses at imo way below value prices. Honestly, the 21mm (not on the NEX mind you) is the best lens I have ever owned since I started this game in the early 60's. Every shot I take with color positive film and this lens just knocks my socks off on the light table. You can imagine my disappointment in that the Kipon seller on EBAY stated the 21mm would work on his kipon mount and when I tried it ....1mm before the lens would seat there was interference between the rear fins and the inner camera body. Then I saw some pics from someone who did mount 21mm to the NEX and the resulting pics were flat out disgusting in my opinion. Heavy color shift and smearing to the point of being unusable for color work at all or in reality B&W work either. On the Contax G2 the 21 is magical. The 28, 45, and 90 are fantastic and then there is the 35 ....... at good to maybe great :):):)

Of all my 35mm format cameras my Contax G2 with the 21mm is the only one still seeing service for me. I have liked this camera since day one.

Last edited:

sebboh

monza - thanks for the perspective. i think i'm still leaning towards the nikkor, heavy weight and and long focus throw are good things for me. the way i shoot with the NEX i find heavy lenses allow for lower shutter speeds - small size and heavy weight sounds like a good combo. i'm also a fan of the sonnar drawing style so the contax g looks pretty good too, f/2.8 just seems very slow to me. are the contax and leica f/2.8s any shorter than the the nikkor? that is the important physical dimension for me.

vivek - i would love to get the pen f 70/2 or 60/1.5 at some point but those are both much more expensive than i'm looking to spend now. with the exception of the leicas all the lenses i listed are significantly cheaper even if you include the price of an adapter. the pen f 100/3.5 is too slow and long, plus i already have a nikkor 105/2.5 that i'm quite happy with on NEX (except for the focal length). i will have a difficult time justifying spending more than the cost of a rokinon/samyang 85/1.4 on any of these since that lens will be faster, have equal or better performance in most aspects, and be usable on my dslr as well.

douglasf13

Vivek, the MS Optical lens is very much a "super" triplet with only 3 elements.

http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/09/06/ms-optical-super-triplet-perar/

As for the Contax 35, Jim, yep I bought the one on KEH. I nearly bought one in August for around the same price, and I've decided to try it for fun. I've read a TON about the lens in the last few months, and it seems, although it isn't quite as sharp wide open as the 45mm (one of the sharper lenses of all time,) it is certainly no slouch and competes with most 35s, including the pre-asph Summicron. In fact, I was reading some posts from a guy who shoots both the 35 Planar and 35 Biogon f2 ZM, and he says the Contax outperforms the ZM. We'll see...

Jim DE

Douglas, Monza. it looks like we talked someone into buying the 45mm from KEH too ;) it is now gone! They are down to 2-21's and a single 28mm. :):)

These are going to be collector value lenses soon ....... ;)

No used lenses at B&H or 47th and a single 90MM at Adorama. Only 3 35's listed on Ebay too. They are going like hotcakes ;)

Last edited:
Jim, Douglas, Monza, I thank you big time for the advice you have given regarding Contax G lens, leading me to order the 28, 35, 45, 90 and the 35-70 zoom. They are so good and so small and often in such excellent condition. I realize that the zoom is not popular, but find it to be very fine for a zoom and helpful in certain family situations to grab a well framed shot, and more portrait friendly than the stock zoom. By the way there are still 2 Contax G zooms at KEH! It took me the longest time to realize I had to search specifically for zooms!
I have also read all the comments that I could find on the internet concerning the Contax G 21 which describe the color shift issue, let alone the need to saw off the two fins. Is anybody out there happy with the Contax G 21 on the Nex? I see a few positive posts with some pictures from July and August, but no one seems to be praising it in these different threads that continue. It looks like it will be so much smaller than the projected Zeiss wide angle. My wife says I am color blind! But seriously, is anyone happy with this lens on the Nex?

Jim DE

I read the one guy from China's post who posted pics with the 21mm and stated he liked it BUT beauty was definitely in the eye of the beholder on that post. As I stated in a previous post I already own a 21 and really wanted it to work like it does on the Contax G but the shots I viewed from that poster made me positive that I did not want to cut off the fins on my lens to allow it to mount to the NEX. The result would of been far from what I consider a acceptable image. Especially from a lens as fantastic as the 21 is on the Contax G2. Let me stress again I REALLY wanted the 21 to work on the NEX but it sits mounted on my Contax G2 instead if that tells you anything.

monza

John, best of luck with your new Zeiss glass. :) There isn't much else one can say about the G lenses...I know of at least one person who tried them on the NEX and liked them so much that a film body (G2) was acquired as well.

I have owned the 21mm in the past but have never 'taken' to that focal length for some reason. Probably because it takes more talent than I have to get good results with a wider angle. :) Besides, it's a 32mm equivalent on the NEX. So I won't be adapting that one to the NEX, I'll just stick with the 16mm Sony lens which is a no brainer at the price.

douglasf13

Doug,

That gives the hint (unless it is some bad translation as in the "Trium" glass they mention). I very much doubt it is a simple triplet.
I don't think it is a simple triplet, either. MS Optical calls it "super," which I imagine accounts for the thick elements. Still, I wouldn't imagine it to be considered a heliar unless those elements were cemented, no?

Jim DE

John, I don't think I have seen any shots with the 35-70 on the NEX. If you have some at the 35mm focal length focused to infinity with the aperture set wide open I would really like to see them.

The rear fins on that lens look like they extend far enough that they might or could have interference with the body ..... does it mount easily without interference?

I'm in a class right now, so will take some photos later. The fins seem to stick out about as far as the Contax G 28mm, so it easily fits on the Sony Nex. With
the adapter, the 35-70 zoom sticks out about as far as the stock zoom. I say this because it fits into a case for the Nex 5 and a zoom.
John