The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ZA 200mm f/2.5 Tele-Sonnar

edwardkaraa

Hi Guys,

Just received today the Kenko 1.4X Teleplus MC4 teleconverter which turns my ZA 135 into an 190mm f/2.5 lens. Took a few test shots from my balcony at f/2.5 and f/5.6 to see how it behaves at infinity.

You can find them here.

I found the lens/converter combination to be sturdy and balances well on the tripod. The exif shows the correct focal length (well, it says 200mm but that's close enough) and aperture. AF is accurate and not as slow as I was expecting. The IQ is also surprisingly good. The results WO are unusable for landscapes but I wouldn't shoot landscapes WO anyway, even without the converter. At f/5.6 the IQ improves a lot and the results are quite OK imho. I didn't try smaller apertures (my bad) but I would expect the IQ to keep on improving further (optimum aperture for the Sonnar is f/5.6, or f/8 with the converter). I think the combination is very usable WO for close distances but I have to take more photos to test it.

Cheers,
Edward

PS: I think the first 2 frames have some AF problem. The other 2 with a slightly closer distance look much better.

Last edited:

scooter

My eyes got REALLY Wide when I saw ZA 200mm. That is the lens I hope gets made, I'll take it with an F2 thank you very much:grin:

edwardkaraa

Me too, scooter :) I'm waiting impatiently for the ZA 200/2 and I hope the rumor is true. In the meanwhile, the 190/2.5 should help fill the gap. Besides, the 200/2 would give me a nice 280/2.8 with the converter :D