The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DX0 ratings . . . Didn't the A55 do well

jonoslack

Has anybody noticed what the lowly APS-C Pentax K-5 just got on DxO? Not 73. A hint: it starts with an 8 and ends with a 2!

For example Nikon D3 gets 81.:eek:

EDIT:

EDIT 2: Sorry to sidetrack this Sony related thread but I think it gives some idea where the APS-C IQ is today according to DxO.
:clap::clap:
Well, as I understand it the K5 has the same Sony sensor that's in the A55. . . . but it doesn't look like it from this!
the K5 is 8 points better than any other ApsC camera - after which, there are 10 cameras within 5 points of each other.

I must say, if the K5 had been there instead of the K7 when I tried out Pentax for a week, then there might have been a different outcome.

It looks like a splendid camera.

all the best

Last edited:

clark666

Are there lens adapters that allow use of other lenses on a K-5? Probably need to wait for the electronics to appear in the NX series?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Guy, Doug, all,

indeed the quality of todays sensors is really stunning. I always thought in DSLR I need to go FF because of pixel size and resulting better dynamic range etc. compared to 43 and APSC size sensors. But both, my EP2 and my NEX5 show me every day, what IQ I can get out of those tiny marvels. Even with the not so optimal lenses for these cams.

Now if we go MFD and we are talking about larger sensor sizes (at least the size of the S2), I must say that the difference between a FF DSLR or a recent incarnation of a M43 (GH2) or NEX or A55/33 is no longer as big as it was some years ago. Not talking about number of pixels of corse, but rather about d´DR and high ISO low noise etc. Still MFD has its differences, but they are getting much smaller.

Kind of where i am today with my "old" H3D39 and the latest incarnations of Nikon D700 or D7000 and if I extrapolate to an upcoming D4X or Sony A900 successor which will have around 30-35MP and for sure better dynamic range and high ISO performance than their contemporary counterparts, then I think the difference to a S2 or P40+ or H4D40 and even higher resolution MF cams will vanish quickly. That is the only reason I am currently holding off to change my H3D39 to a S2 or a H4D40 or H4D60. Because for that money I can get so much Nikon gear - man you cannot even name it - and I know I do NOT need it :)

The only thing I see really above today's state of the art MFDBs is a high res DB with a tech cam. The way that Terry went with her P40+ or many others here in this forum. If you really want highest IQ then this is the way to go! Everything else starts kind of growing into a single cloud (or at least some very close clouds).

Well - happy to have what I have and changes will be there in the future - maybe from Hassi to Leica (S) or even to a tech cam with a P65+ as soon as these beasts get cheaper when the P85+ (or however it will be called) hits the market ;)

Times are actually very interesting!

And this forum is really the BEST PLACE to be in order to understand all these changes.

Thanks

Peter

BackToSlr

:clap::clap:
Well, as I understand it the K5 has the same Sony sensor that's in the A55. . . . but it doesn't look like it from this!
the K5 is 8 points better than any other ApsC camera - after which, there are 10 cameras within 5 points of each other.

I must say, if the K5 had been there instead of the K7 when I tried out Pentax for a week, then there might have been a different outcome.

It looks like a splendid camera.

all the best
Remember the SLT mirror that takes out some light. A580 will have similar ratings.

Cheers,

N

M

meilicke

Are there lens adapters that allow use of other lenses on a K-5? Probably need to wait for the electronics to appear in the NX series?
I am not sure I understand your second question. The Samsung NX and Pentax K5 are different beasts, different lens mounts.

To answer the first question, All K mount lenses will work on the K5, within their various limitations (AF, A, M, etc.). You can also get an m42 adapter. I have a pentax brand K to m42 which works fine.

V

Vivek

but even the very best primes with simple element designs aren't able to pass more than 11-12 stops of DR, due to internal reflections. There was a really long, cool video lecture that I watched a couple of years ago from Kodak in regards to internal lens reflections, but I don't remember the source.

Internal reflections would affect the contrast of an image (ie., lower it) how would they decrease the dynamic range? Higher the DR, flatter the image, no?

Aside from this, if there is light loss due to the pellicle mirror in A55, as long as the loss is uniform, I do not see why it would affect the DR.

douglasf13

Oddly enough, I was just talking about this with someone on another forum, Vivek:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/952569/0#9008731

However, the mistake I made is assuming that the DxO DR measurement was related to the more common idea of dynamic range in a scene. Rather, it is "based off of a SNR of 0dB in the shadows - that is noise and shadow power is equal." -kwalsh

Shoot, so much for the posts about having fun around here! :ROTFL:

Last edited:

emr

While some people haven't taken (or still don't) Sony's photography business seriously, I think they're currently on the bloody bleeding edge. The NEXes are amazingly small for an APS-C sensor, the A55/33 are great game changers. And if cameras like Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 give good results, what's partly behind that - a Sony sensor! I'm a Pentax shooter myself, but I'm seriously considering getting a Sony too, probably the A55. But then again, the DxOMark score for the K-5 makes my reconsider...

douglasf13

While some people haven't taken (or still don't) Sony's photography business seriously, I think they're currently on the bloody bleeding edge. The NEXes are amazingly small for an APS-C sensor, the A55/33 are great game changers. And if cameras like Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 give good results, what's partly behind that - a Sony sensor! I'm a Pentax shooter myself, but I'm seriously considering getting a Sony too, probably the A55. But then again, the DxOMark score for the K-5 makes my reconsider...
I would get the camera that makes you happy. DxO Mark ratings are showing nuances that most would probably not notice in practice. Just about any more recent APS-C sensor will be fine.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The DxO silliness really ought to stop.
Please produce comparison images from two cameras and show us the practical manifestations of the scores?

Anyone????

-bob (feeling grumpy)

Amin

The DxO silliness really ought to stop.
Please produce comparison images from two cameras and show us the practical manifestations of the scores?

Anyone????

-bob (feeling grumpy)
Bob, here's an example. At very high ISO, the NEX5 has a stop or more advantage over the G2/GF1/E-PL1/E-P2 (all featuring the same sensor). You can see that by looking at these side-by-side crops (RAW conversions with color noise removed):

This was a predictable result based on the DxO data:

If you look at the rest of my comparison images here and compare them to the DxO results, they correlate very well. You can download my RAW files from that page, process them in your RAW processing app of choice, and I think you'll find that the DxO results still hold up.

DxO can be misleading though. For example, if you download my RAW files, you'll see some ugly banding in the GH1 files, which has a real effect on image quality. This is completely ignored by DxO, as are several other parameters of image quality including lens performance, JPEG engine, NR applied at the RAW level, susceptibility to aliasing, color fidelity, etc.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I think it's an interesting point - I shoot Sony (A900 and A55), although I was lured into a week testing a K7 in July (tempted by size, water resistance, build, limited primes). I loved the camera and the lenses . . . and wasn't convinced by the sensor (or the results of the sensor). If the K5 had been available then I'm sure I'd still have it.

On the other hand, there is nothing in the Pentax range to compete with the A900 (even now), and the A55 didn't exist in July (and you can hose two A55 bodies for the cost of a K5!)

I'm going to wait with interest to see what Sony do at the top end next year, if it isn't convincing then I'll be thinking of Pentax again.

But the obvious lead that Nikon and Canon had a couple of years ago certainly seems to be under attack right now.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, here's an example. At very high ISO, the NEX5 has a stop or more advantage over the G2/GF1/E-PL1/E-P2 (all featuring the same sensor). You can see that by looking at these side-by-side crops (RAW conversions with color noise removed):

This was a predictable result based on the DxO data:

If you look at the rest of my comparison images here and compare them to the DxO results, they correlate very well. You can download my RAW files from that page, process them in your RAW processing app of choice, and I think you'll find that the DxO results still hold up.

DxO can be misleading though. For example, if you download my RAW files, you'll see some ugly banding in the GH1 files, which has a real effect on image quality. This is completely ignored by DxO, as are several other parameters of image quality including lens performance, JPEG engine, NR applied at the RAW level, susceptibility to aliasing, color fidelity, etc.
Amin,
I think the last point you make is the real point combined with the raw processing that one performs to the image.
<rant annoyance="high">
Here is another characteristic: the pattern of the noise.
Many times noise appears is bands or clumps or some other pattern that makes it more obvious than s/n measurements. Just to set the record straight, I am an engineer through and through and eat measurements for breakfast. I just happen to think that the DxO measurements are not only inadequate but misleading.
Even many raw files have been in-camera processed to one degree or another so it is not so much sensor but the total image chain.
I have to confess that for me, ISO 50 is here I usually shoot and consider iso 800 to be sort of the outer limits. If you want to really understand the performance of a sensor then it ought to be done at the base sensitivity of the sensor itself. Reading actual sensor data sheets is often instructive, since many of them, or almost all of them actually, have only ONE sensitivity, with the higher sensitivities synthesized by shifting the data and reducing the actual number of information containing bits. Sometimes zeros are forced into the low order bits, sometimes whatever stuff happens to be produced by the a/d converter. In any case the number of luminance levels (bits of significant data) is reduced resulting in banding or other visual manifestations dependent on the scene.
Mostly the what the DxO numbers OUGHT to be can be derived from sensor data sheet values. Where they differ is a result of firmware, post sensor processing chain, and measurement artifacts. The true test is in the taking. If you start with a iso100 base sensitivity 14 bit (really hard to do well) sample and create an ISO 3200 file, it is not going to have more than about 9 bits of data with the low order bit of those nine just as noisy as the 14th bit of the base ISO sample.

Another annoying bit...
There is no such thing as color noise.
So far bayer image arrays all produce monochrome sample data filtered to red green and blue (admittedly with different band pass depending on sensor model). usually there is twice the number of green pixels than red or blue. There is thus one more potential bit of data available for luminance information, but not on every pixel, on the collection of near neighbors that are included in the debayering algorithm. This difference is sometimes processed as "color" noise which is more an artifact of the image processing algorithm.
So give me a break, show me the images and the ways that they differ for use by YOU in the ways that you care about.

The imposition of a pseudo-scientific measurement methodology for the comparison of sensors does more to obfuscate than to enlighten IMO.

and finally, their characterization of qualities such as color depth as relating to use in portraiture and dynamic range a landscape is downright idiotic. When I shoot a model, I want good depth and texture in the darks of brown irises and the specular highlights of glossy skin and when I shoot a landscape us old timers have been dealing with techniques to control image dynamic range from the zone system through multiple exposures at different EVs and selective layering but we still want all the color nuance we can get.</rant>
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Amin,
I think the last point you make is the real point combined with the raw processing that one performs to the image.
<rant annoyance="high">
Here is another characteristic: the pattern of the noise.
Many times noise appears is bands or clumps or some other pattern that makes it more obvious than s/n measurements. Just to set the record straight, I am an engineer through and through and eat measurements for breakfast. I just happen to think that the DxO measurements are not only inadequate but misleading.
Even many raw files have been in-camera processed to one degree or another so it is not so much sensor but the total image chain.
I have to confess that for me, ISO 50 is here I usually shoot and consider iso 800 to be sort of the outer limits. If you want to really understand the performance of a sensor then it ought to be done at the base sensitivity of the sensor itself. Reading actual sensor data sheets is often instructive, since many of them, or almost all of them actually, have only ONE sensitivity, with the higher sensitivities synthesized by shifting the data and reducing the actual number of information containing bits. Sometimes zeros are forced into the low order bits, sometimes whatever stuff happens to be produced by the a/d converter. In any case the number of luminance levels (bits of significant data) is reduced resulting in banding or other visual manifestations dependent on the scene.
Mostly the what the DxO numbers OUGHT to be can be derived from sensor data sheet values. Where they differ is a result of firmware, post sensor processing chain, and measurement artifacts. The true test is in the taking. If you start with a iso100 base sensitivity 14 bit (really hard to do well) sample and create an ISO 3200 file, it is not going to have more than about 9 bits of data with the low order bit of those nine just as noisy as the 14th bit of the base ISO sample.

Another annoying bit...
There is no such thing as color noise.
So far bayer image arrays all produce monochrome sample data filtered to red green and blue (admittedly with different band pass depending on sensor model). usually there is twice the number of green pixels than red or blue. There is thus one more potential bit of data available for luminance information, but not on every pixel, on the collection of near neighbors that are included in the debayering algorithm. This difference is sometimes processed as "color" noise which is more an artifact of the image processing algorithm.
So give me a break, show me the images and the ways that they differ for use by YOU in the ways that you care about.

The imposition of a pseudo-scientific measurement methodology for the comparison of sensors does more to obfuscate than to enlighten IMO.

and finally, their characterization of qualities such as color depth as relating to use in portraiture and dynamic range a landscape is downright idiotic. When I shoot a model, I want good depth and texture in the darks of brown irises and the specular highlights of glossy skin and when I shoot a landscape us old timers have been dealing with techniques to control image dynamic range from the zone system through multiple exposures at different EVs and selective layering but we still want all the color nuance we can get.</rant>
-bob
and I neglected to mention the effects of temperature, illuminant spectral content, and exposure time :eek:
Forgive me for the over-simplification LOL
-bob

jonoslack

Well - I understand nothing about sensors and electronics, but I am a scientist, and this is something I can REALLY relate to.

. . . . and it seems to me to be almost universal - just try the field of Health and Biology (where I do understand a little) :eek::deadhorse::thumbdown::sleep006::bugeyes: :angry:

Amin

We can all agree that the DxOmark data has limitations and can be misleading. We disagree about whether it has some value, but I won't :deadhorse: by arguing further.

V

Vivek

It has lots of value giving misleading information to make endless threads. Some fora actually specialize in that, I suspect.

Bob, :salute:

jonoslack

Yes, but here we have a little crossed swords and pass on . . . or so it seems!
It's refreshing after the punch ups this sort of discussion can cause elsewhere.