Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A Tale of 3 Sonys

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    A Tale of 3 Sonys

    If anyone had told me two years ago that all my SLR gear would be Sony, I'd have given them a slap, but that's the way it goes!

    After September in Crete with my M9s, October has been Sony month.
    I've just put up some web pages of snapshots which (I hope) show how versatile the new SLT cameras really are (I started with an A33 and finished with an A55 - Silas has the A33) - there are some shots from the A900 interspersed, and one lowly v-lux 20 shot taken from a horse!

    Pictures taken in Suffolk with an A33 / A55 / A900

    comments and criticism (and yawns) all very welcome

    All the best

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Jono,

    Thanks for sharing some very nice pictures, like #24,#28 and #55.
    I would like to use #55 for my Desktop picture if that is alright with you.

    Regards, Jerry

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSenior View Post
    Jono,

    Thanks for sharing some very nice pictures, like #24,#28 and #55.
    I would like to use #55 for my Desktop picture if that is alright with you.

    Regards, Jerry
    Thank you Jerry - you're most welcome (an emotional moment . . . for the dog at least

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    great images. the ones from the A900 stand out IQ wise IMO

  5. #5
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Hi, Jono! I didn't realize that the doggie that we adopted a few weeks ago looks like a miniature version of yours. Thanks for the pics, and I never thought I'd see the day where you owned a few Sony DSLRs, and I own none!

    Here's our new little guy with the NEX and CV 35/1.4....wow, I've resorted to dog pictures...

    family portrait???

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Jono,

    Nice photos as always but good glass such as Zeiss always performs!

  7. #7
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    .......... and one lowly v-lux 20 shot taken from a horse[SIZE="4Pictures taken in Suffolk with an A33 / A55 / A900[/SIZE]
    comments and criticism (and yawns) all very welcome
    Nice set of images Jono.....the V-Lux-20 IMAGE looks remarkably good! I note that you don't take her Majesty's example but you wear a crash hat instead of a headscarf!

    Joking apart, I have seen some excellent examples of what the V-Lux -20 can achieve in the right hands.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Hi, Jono! I didn't realize that the doggie that we adopted a few weeks ago looks like a miniature version of yours. Thanks for the pics, and I never thought I'd see the day where you owned a few Sony DSLRs, and I own none!

    Here's our new little guy with the NEX and CV 35/1.4....wow, I've resorted to dog pictures... [/IMG]
    He looks like a terrier - we used to have Norfolk terriers? Caspar looks like a terrier . . . but he doesn't behave like one.

    As for resorting to dog pictures - it used to be that dog pictures were a cliche - now it's changed so that slagging them off has become the cliche



    Just to compound the sin!

    Just this guy you know

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Nice set of images Jono.....the V-Lux-20 IMAGE looks remarkably good! I note that you don't take her Majesty's example but you wear a crash hat instead of a headscarf!

    Joking apart, I have seen some excellent examples of what the V-Lux -20 can achieve in the right hands.
    HI There David
    With my quality of riding the hat's pretty imperative Especially if I start taking my hands off to take pictures . . . . anyway, I'm no Queen

    The V-lux 20 is a great little camera - in good light at least.

    Just this guy you know

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    [QUOTE=jonoslack;259828]If anyone had told me two years ago that all my SLR gear would be Sony, I'd have given them a slap, but that's the way it goes!

    Beautiful pictures Jono. They reinforce my decision to buy the A55 and the 16-80. If I may paraphrase your opening comment- If anyone had told me I would trade my Olympus gear for Sony I would have just laughed.

    I am pleased ( generally ) with the 16-80 but am on the hunt for a prime that would give me the results I got from the Pany 20 1.7 on the EP-2.
    I wish Sony had a 28-30 1.8 that would equal the sharpness of the 20 1.7.

    Any suggestions ?
    Cheers, Leo Reinhard

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo R View Post
    I am pleased ( generally ) with the 16-80 but am on the hunt for a prime that would give me the results I got from the Pany 20 1.7 on the EP-2.
    I wish Sony had a 28-30 1.8 that would equal the sharpness of the 20 1.7.

    Any suggestions ?
    Cheers, Leo Reinhard
    HI Leo
    Glad you liked the shots. We've been playing with the cheap and cheerful 35 f1.8 SAM lens - looks plenty sharp and good to me, not as small as the panny, and of course, it's a bit longer. There's the 30 macro, but it's not so fast.

    As you say, the 16-80 is not perfect, but within reasonable limits I think it's pretty good.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    He looks like a terrier - we used to have Norfolk terriers? Caspar looks like a terrier . . . but he doesn't behave like one.

    As for resorting to dog pictures - it used to be that dog pictures were a cliche - now it's changed so that slagging them off has become the cliche

    Just to compound the sin!
    Now THAT is a great doggie pick. I really like it.

    Alfie seems to be a Dandie Dinmont with a bit of a border terrier mix. He is very un-terrier like, so far. We actually just heard him bark for the first time yesterday, and he is extremely shy. He is only one year old, but I think his prior home was pretty abusive, but we're enjoying the little guy.

    Anyways, back to camera geek talk...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Noosa Australia
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSenior View Post
    Jono,

    Thanks for sharing some very nice pictures, like #24,#28 and #55.
    I would like to use #55 for my Desktop picture if that is alright with you.

    Regards, Jerry
    I agree very much #55 is indeed a wonderful dog photo!
    Regards

    Volker

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A Tale of 3 Sonys

    Douglas - good luck with the dog - I hope he's as 'interesting' as ours seems to be!
    Jerry - glad you liked it - No claims of high art, but I think that the craft of dog photography is one which is unfairly reviled. (there are lots of dreadful people pics too!)

    Just this guy you know

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •