The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex vs A33/55 handling and size

Paratom

I am just wondering all the time with all those new systems which makes the most sense for which application.

One question here for me is: how much do you benefit from the smaller size of the Nex? Do you feel it is really small enough to be used as a "compact" camera?Dont you have to bring a bag on the shoulder anyways - so do you really gain that much in practical use compared to a lets say A33/A55?
Dont you give up a lot of handling advantages when using a Nex (biggest would be to have no included EVF)?

I am interested in comments about advantages/disadvantages in practical use. (Biggest advantage I would see for the Nex is that you can use all kinds of Leica and Zeiss glass.)

V

Vivek

I think if Sony (or anyone else) make a handgrip for the left hand side of the NEX5, it will be practical for manual focus lens use.

Sony should have put the battery on the left hand side, IMO.

I do not see much advantage using Leica lenses with adapters a cm thick.

I use one adapter (C-mount, modified) that acts as three adapters when a pen F flange or a Robot flange is added.

I hope the future NEX' will be ergonomically less of a disaster and with a less of a shotgun shutter. Image quality degradation due to shake (the startling shutter and the lack of holdability) is FRUSTRATING.

I will pass on the A33/55. Even with manual focus lenses, the tiny battery has very limited life. I can only imagine what it would do in a A55.:ROTFL:

And for heaven sake, Sony, drop the ridiculous converters from your NEX line up!

BackToSlr

I am just wondering all the time with all those new systems which makes the most sense for which application.

One question here for me is: how much do you benefit from the smaller size of the Nex? Do you feel it is really small enough to be used as a "compact" camera?Dont you have to bring a bag on the shoulder anyways - so do you really gain that much in practical use compared to a lets say A33/A55?
Dont you give up a lot of handling advantages when using a Nex (biggest would be to have no included EVF)?

I am interested in comments about advantages/disadvantages in practical use. (Biggest advantage I would see for the Nex is that you can use all kinds of Leica and Zeiss glass.)
For my use, big advantage of NEX 5 is handling and ergonomics. I use mostly alpha lenses on NEX, and every thing can be done with right hand, including flipping the screen up and down, and having no buttons on the left is brilliant for one hand shooting (left hand free for manual focus). Right thumb on the shutter button for waist level and lower shooting, or right index finger on shutter for higher than chest level. Left hand always for manual focus. I hate fully articulating screens as i have to use both hands to move the screen. Don't like hinge on the left for it skews the optical axis too much. If I needed EVF i would go for A55/33 like camera. I don't see much purpose for an EVF on NEX, but i certainly see why some would like them, it does help on A55. EVF would also help handling longer lenses (200+) on NEX.

YMMV,

N

BackToSlr

I think if Sony (or anyone else) make a handgrip for the left hand side of the NEX5, it will be practical for manual focus lens use.

Sony should have put the battery on the left hand side, IMO.

I do not see much advantage using Leica lenses with adapters a cm thick.

I use one adapter (C-mount, modified) that acts as three adapters when a pen F flange or a Robot flange is added.

I hope the future NEX' will be ergonomically less of a disaster and with a less of a shotgun shutter. Image quality degradation due to shake (the startling shutter and the lack of holdability) is FRUSTRATING.

I will pass on the A33/55. Even with manual focus lenses, the tiny battery has very limited life. I can only imagine what it would do in a A55.:ROTFL:

And for heaven sake, Sony, drop the ridiculous converters from your NEX line up!
:ROTFL:

Lets just say that I pretty much disagree with everything you said. All those points are what make NEX useful to me. Surprised how different the usage patterns are.

Cheers,

N

Paratom

These are good images - thanks. One side note is that they show the A55 with a Zeis 16-80/3.5-4.5 vs the Nex with a slower and less range 17-55/4-5.6 lens.

One question IMO is the Nex + Lens small enough to have a real life advantage? Or do you have to carry a bag anyways. IMO it is with a pancake lens but not with anything else. I wonder if you guys share this opinion or if you feel different.

These are good images - thanks. One side note is that they show the A55 with a Zeis 16-80/3.5-4.5 vs the Nex with a slower and less range 17-55/4-5.6 lens.

One question IMO is the Nex + Lens small enough to have a real life advantage? Or do you have to carry a bag anyways. IMO it is with a pancake lens but not with anything else. I wonder if you guys share this opinion or if you feel different.
The nex with the 18-55 is very easy to carry on the wrist strap all day without any strain - a bag is not needed.

V

Vivek

Carry on size advantage is there and that is one of the reasons why I have not dumped the NEX5.

I now have a few primes with any one mounted, the NEX5 slips into my jacket pocket easily. No bags at all.

I have not used the 16/2.8 in a while. Too big.;)

Terry

For my use, big advantage of NEX 5 is handling and ergonomics. I use mostly alpha lenses on NEX, and every thing can be done with right hand, including flipping the screen up and down, and having no buttons on the left is brilliant for one hand shooting (left hand free for manual focus). Right thumb on the shutter button for waist level and lower shooting, or right index finger on shutter for higher than chest level. Left hand always for manual focus. I hate fully articulating screens as i have to use both hands to move the screen. Don't like hinge on the left for it skews the optical axis too much. If I needed EVF i would go for A55/33 like camera. I don't see much purpose for an EVF on NEX, but i certainly see why some would like them, it does help on A55. EVF would also help handling longer lenses (200+) on NEX.

YMMV,

N
Yes, my thoughts are very similar. The flip up screen makes a very big difference for me in the way I hold the camera. Lower than the GF1 and MUCH closer to the body. With only the three buttons, and their current function shown on the screen it is very easy to use one handed or without direct sight of the buttons (by feel - when screen is flipped up and camera is low you don't always see the actual buttons).

Paratom

Mmmhhh-thanks so far for the comments. I guess I should handle one myself and see how it feels for me.

M

meilicke

Yes, handle them both if you can. I went to the store to buy an a33, and walled out with the nex. The a33 has many more features, but the size delta is starteling, and to me, the nex5 has a higher build quality.

I find the nex is easily carried in a jacket pocket with either lens. I think the shooting style is much different too.

tom in mpls

I had the NEX but switched to the A55. I find I much prefer a viewfinder for most shooting, plus still having the articulating screen for certain shots is great. The NEX with a pancake is great, but the only AF lens is too wide for an "only" lens; if there were an E mount AF 24 or 35mm pancake my opinion would change. As I find the NEX with anything but a pancake to be too big for a pocket, I need a bag anyway. The extra pixels on the 55 are a plus, too.

I think the NEX is a great choice if one wants to use M lenses on a cheaper and smaller body, but I am sticking to AF. Too bad, I dearly love the M glass.

M

meilicke

I am interested in comments about advantages/disadvantages in practical use.
To me, the A33/55 cameras are the "real deal" SLRs. Nearly instant on, very fast AF including focus tracking, great selection of AF lenses, wireless flash control, nice external controls (like AF independent of the shutter button), etc. If these features are important to you, then you have your answer. Getting the camera to your eye, AF, and getting the shot takes 1-2 seconds - very fast.

The nex cameras, not so much. About 2 second start up, and the AF is a little slower. No possibility to separate AF from the shutter (without going into the menus and turning AF off completely), no wireless flash control, etc. In good light, AF is fine (for me), but in poor lighting, I find it struggles. And the AF lens selection is spares.

I think if you are using MF lenses, and take just a little bit of time, the rewards are high, and the total package is quite small. I value both of those, and find the ergonomics to be fine. The lack of AF/AE/shutter decoupling is still annoying me.

I have found that the camera has grown on me since I got it, which is a relief.

fotografz

I have the NEX5 and the A55 for two completely different reasons.

The NEX with the stock 16mm is fun, pocketable, "have with you" walk around camera ... but that is a distant second reason for me compared to using it with wide Leica M lenses and some fast aperture M glass that are difficult to focus in really low light even on a M9.

You can see the exposure on the LCD and adjust it very quickly ... plus you can magnified the image with a push of one button for critical focus even with a Noctilux. The camera without a lens can slip into the side pocket of my M bag and be there for special applications or as back-up. I use a wrist strap on the left side and grip the lens to carry it, leaving the right hand to control the few buttons and shutter. My only gripe is that I wish the magnification button was top right rather than bottom right.

The A55 is a small alternative to the A900 and provides simple AF use with smaller A mount lenses ... and different from the NEX it lets me use my Auto Focus Sony 500 mirror lens with internal stabilization ... a combo that is extremely light and easy to carry. Long lenses on the NEX is not my cup of tea, where I think it is an interesting combo with the A55.

-Marc